Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't need Gillaspie. They need a right handed bat that can play 3B, and it looks more and more likely that they are satisfied going into the season with Kelly Johnson at 3B, Brian Roberts at 2B, and a combo of Ryan and Nunez being the backup infielders.

If anything, I could see someone like Carlos Sanchez be appealing to them as he seems pretty close to MLB ready and can get called up in case one of Roberts or Jeter gets hurt.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
They don't need Gillaspie. They need a right handed bat that can play 3B, and it looks more and more likely that they are satisfied going into the season with Kelly Johnson at 3B, Brian Roberts at 2B, and a combo of Ryan and Nunez being the backup infielders.

If anything, I could see someone like Carlos Sanchez be appealing to them as he seems pretty close to MLB ready and can get called up in case one of Roberts or Jeter gets hurt.

Why a right handed bat? I would think they would want the lefties to take advantage of that short porch in RF where the ball just flies. A balanced line-up, I guess, but they have so many switch hitters on that team that they could be absolute death on RHP and survive against LHP. I mean, they have what, 4 switch hitters on that team?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
Why a right handed bat? I would think they would want the lefties to take advantage of that short porch in RF where the ball just flies. A balanced line-up, I guess, but they have so many switch hitters on that team that they could be absolute death on RHP and survive against LHP. I mean, they have what, 4 switch hitters on that team?

Kelly Johnson is going to be their starting 3B. Plus, at that ballpark now, it's a short porch to LF, CF, and RF.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 01:55 AM)
Kelly Johnson is going to be their starting 3B. Plus, at that ballpark now, it's a short porch to LF, CF, and RF.

With Brian Roberts signed to play second, they should count on Kelly Johnson getting a lot of playing time at second base. Keppinger has the ability to play second and third so he may make sense for them in a platoon at third.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
With Brian Roberts signed to play second, they should count on Kelly Johnson getting a lot of playing time at second base. Keppinger has the ability to play second and third so he may make sense for them in a platoon at third.

They have Nunez and Ryan who they seem pretty content with as the backups. They already have a tight roster, so odds are they would prefer guys on minor league contracts or prospects than an expensive Jeff Keppinger who would force them to get rid of one Ryan or Nunez.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
They have Nunez and Ryan who they seem pretty content with as the backups. They already have a tight roster, so odds are they would prefer guys on minor league contracts or prospects than an expensive Jeff Keppinger who would force them to get rid of one Ryan or Nunez.

The Yankees might have a need for him if someone gets hurt and they have space under the tax line come July, but they really have no need at 3b right now unless it's for a Chase Headley level upgrade.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)

Exactly. And they're kicking the tires on some right-handed Padres utility man

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/yank...-infielder.html

Send 'em Kepp! They wouldn't need to give us much of anything, just take salary.

Thought this was interesting, if the Padres aren't interested in a deal with the yanks, could the yanks come calling for Keppinger? I didn't think the yanks were looking for another infielder.

Yankees Have Asked Padres About Trade For Infielder

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/yank...-infielder.html

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Forsythe costs nothing financially and can play 2B/3B/SS/LF/RF. Keppinger costs $4+ mill and can play 2B/3B/1B. You tell me which one you are going to inquire about.

At the very least, the Yankees aren't going to take on $4 million when they're $26 million under the luxury tax and then find out later that Tanaka's going rate next year is $23 million. Keppinger would either cost them Tanaka or like $15 million in luxury tax payments next year alone.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
MLBTR suggests the Pirates would like a lefty 1B to platoon with Gaby Sanchez. I wonder what they would be willing to give us if we send them Dunn and $14M.

Jerry isnt going to pay Dunn 14M to play for another team and Dunn really isn't worth much regardless how much money we send. One option might be a straight dump by placing Dunn on waivers like Toronto did with Rios and hope a team claims him. I'm not saying this should be done but it is an option. Of course for all we know the Sox have tried,lol.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Jerry isnt going to pay Dunn 14M to play for another team and Dunn really isn't worth much regardless how much money we send. One option might be a straight dump by placing Dunn on waivers like Toronto did with Rios and hope a team claims him. I'm not saying this should be done but it is an option. Of course for all we know the Sox have tried,lol.

Yeah, at this point unless some team is willing to pay like 90% of his contract, and that money saved allows to add a pitcher like Garza, Jimenez, Burnett, or someone, then I'd rather just hold on to Dunn and try to move him at the deadline to a team who needs a power boost for the stretch run and doesn't mind eating the $5M or whatever remaining on the deal.

MLBTR suggests the Pirates would like a lefty 1B to platoon with Gaby Sanchez. I wonder what they would be willing to give us if we send them Dunn and $14M.

Or how about Gillaspie? He's more of a platoon candidate. Probably wouldn't get much in return, but it would loosen up the clog in the infield.

Not happening, so forget about it.

Seriously, the White Sox aren't going to eat $15 million to send Dunn away. Stop suggesting it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Not happening, so forget about it.

Seriously, the White Sox aren't going to eat $15 million to send Dunn away. Stop suggesting it.

Yeah, I don't understand eating almost all of Dunn's money to make him go away. He did have a few solid months in 2013, so the ability is still there. Unless someone is eating a significant portion, you might as well keep him.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:19 AM)
Yeah, at this point unless some team is willing to pay like 90% of his contract, and that money saved allows to add a pitcher like Garza, Jimenez, Burnett, or someone, then I'd rather just hold on to Dunn and try to move him at the deadline to a team who needs a power boost for the stretch run and doesn't mind eating the $5M or whatever remaining on the deal.

Yup, exactly this. There will be desperate teams as the deadline approaches and as long as Dunn hits OK , the Sox will get plenty of calls on him. This frees up money for next off season when we look to sign/trade for a DH/1B/LF depending on what we do with Abreu and Tank. I'd say if Abreu and Tank are the future 1B/DH then we would probably have to find us a LH LF with some pop.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
I just find it very interesting how much of an opportunity they're going to give Nieto. I know it's Nieto's agent doing the talking, but supposedly he's a shoe in on the roster.

I remember seeing that quote too, which is why I really think that they'll get rid of Flowers if they can't acquire Nieto outright. Maybe Nieto is ready for the majors. I doubt it, but a couple things that were crazier happened.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I remember seeing that quote too, which is why I really think that they'll get rid of Flowers if they can't acquire Nieto outright. Maybe Nieto is ready for the majors. I doubt it, but a couple things that were crazier happened.

I don't follow your thought. They'll get rid of Flowers if they can't acquire Nieto outright. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
I don't follow your thought. They'll get rid of Flowers if they can't acquire Nieto outright. What am I missing here?

If they keep Nieto he has to stay on the roster all year. Meaning it would most likely be He and Phegley. Flowers would have to go. If they could acquire Nieto rather than using him as a Rule 5 selection, they could send him to the minors and keep Flowers if they wanted to.