2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 4 episodes of True Detective, i'm not sure I get the hype. Interesting, sure. Well acted, yes. But engaging? Eh. Well written? Seems overly complicated (i'm already at a loss as to why they're chasing after guys they were after. Also rather convenient the guy they're trying to find ran with the same crew as Cole when he worked undercover).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
After 4 episodes of True Detective, i'm not sure I get the hype. Interesting, sure. Well acted, yes. But engaging? Eh. Well written? Seems overly complicated (i'm already at a loss as to why they're chasing after guys they were after. Also rather convenient the guy they're trying to find ran with the same crew as Cole when he worked undercover).

you are a strange tv critic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
you are a strange tv critic

Lol, i'm hard to please. I like the show, but I dunno, I thought after reading the responses people had it would be like a "must watch, can't wait to get home" type of show. My wife and I have taken 2 weeks to watch 4 episodes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Lol, i'm hard to please. I like the show, but I dunno, I thought after reading the responses people had it would be like a "must watch, can't wait to get home" type of show. My wife and I have taken 2 weeks to watch 4 episodes.

Top 3 favorite shows, go

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)

It was definitely must watch cant wait to get home for me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Top 3 favorite shows, go

Of all time?

Probably The Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Lost and Deadwood would probably round out the top 5. Other current shows that I really like: Shameless, Vikings, Black Sails (not great, but enjoyable to watch and has potential) and Mad Men. Shameless and Mad Men are probably the only two in the must watch on Sunday night category.

Jenks, i think waiting it out and seeing our reaction to the show skewed your reaction to it. If you watched it from the jump like we did I think you would have had a different opinion as the show went on

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I'm about half way through the second season of Breaking Bad. Does it get better as the show goes on? So far it's alright, but nothing ground breaking.

Season 3 is where the series really takes off, stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Jenks, i think waiting it out and seeing our reaction to the show skewed your reaction to it. If you watched it from the jump like we did I think you would have had a different opinion as the show went on

Yeah that's a good point.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Got Comcast's new X1 platform installed today. It's pretty dope.

I asked about, but didn't like the fact you couldn't self-install and they were going to charge me $60 to come out and do it. I'll wait.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Is the DVR system better than Xfinity?

I wouldn't know, we've never had DVR until today, but our set-up is 1 "Master box" or whatever, and 3 slaves (and 2 regular HD boxes). The recordings are only saved on the Master box, but the recordings can be set-up and watched from any of the 4 boxes. So the fact that it only saves to the master DVR box is irrelevant because I can set it to record from a slave, and then immediately watch it from that slave as well, so I see no difference in capabilities. But the best part about the X1 platform is the new interface which is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to navigate, and then the whole voice control through your phone/tablet is a nice touch.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
I wouldn't know, we've never had DVR until today, but our set-up is 1 "Master box" or whatever, and 3 slaves (and 2 regular HD boxes). The recordings are only saved on the Master box, but the recordings can be set-up and watched from any of the 4 boxes. So the fact that it only saves to the master DVR box is irrelevant because I can set it to record from a slave, and then immediately watch it from that slave as well, so I see no difference in capabilities. But the best part about the X1 platform is the new interface which is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to navigate, and then the whole voice control through your phone/tablet is a nice touch.

Than it's definitely better than this weak DVR set up on Xfinity. One box. Watch one show while recording another. That's it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Than it's definitely better than this weak DVR set up on Xfinity. One box. Watch one show while recording another. That's it.

Apparently I’m spoiled with my DirecTV DVR. I can do all the same things Chili just mentioned.

@Variety

BREAKING: David Letterman retiring http://on.variety.com/1j68pel

Letterman is expected to discuss his plan to retire in about a year on Thursday’s edition of “The Late Show.”

Last year, Letterman re-upped his latenight contract with the Eye network in a two-year deal that was expected to be his last.

As of next year, Letterman will have hosted “Late Show” on CBS for 22 years. He logged 11 years as host of NBC’s “Late Night” before famously being passed over at NBC for Johnny Carson’s throne on “The Tonight Show” — over Carson’s objection.

Word of Letterman’s plan spread quickly via Twitter on Thursday afternoon after musician Mike Mills, who is appearing on Thursday’s show, noted Letterman’s big news.

@SeanMMcNally

Relevant to Letterman's retirement: Jon Stewart's contract expires mid-2015. Colbert's the end of 2014. http://nyti.ms/1hFNNtC

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
Apparently I’m spoiled with my DirecTV DVR. I can do all the same things Chili just mentioned.

Yeah he just described the genie, Comcast finally tried to catch up to everyone else.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
@Variety

BREAKING: David Letterman retiring http://on.variety.com/1j68pel

@SeanMMcNally

Relevant to Letterman's retirement: Jon Stewart's contract expires mid-2015. Colbert's the end of 2014. http://nyti.ms/1hFNNtC

I don't imagine the super-old, conservative CBS audience being particular fans of being yelled at by Jon Stewart.

And I also believe that Comedy Central would match any number. Seriously.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
I don't imagine the super-old, conservative CBS audience being particular fans of being yelled at by Jon Stewart.

And I also believe that Comedy Central would match any number. Seriously.

Did the Daily Show suffer at all when Oliver took over?

edit: I'll answer that myself: apparently not much: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed...stewarts-607418

Edited by Jenksismybitch