Grab a SP now

TheFutureIsNear

I'm glad Hahn has come out and publicly said as of now that we're likely going with a pitcher at #3 and for all intensive purposes they should go with another pitcher with their second round pick, this class is deep.

In addition to that since we didn't land tanaka our sparse hopes for a wild card spot have been dashed this year, thats ok. I'm willing to bet that both Davidson and Semien start at AAA this year to get another year of team control from them, while giving Gillaspie another 300 AB pre all star break to figure what exactly what they have in him and attempt to let Keppinger and Beckham regain some trade value before dealing them along with Alexei (provided Sanchez carries over his hot hitting VWL) since Abreu should be pretty settled in. Its all about maximizing assets right now for the franchise, which is why I doubt we see Dunn moved before hes had a chance to bounce back and nearly half of his salary paid for by the time he gets traded. Next years trade deadline should be a lot of fun for sox fans I imagine we add 2-3 B - B+ range prospects as well as a lot of depth after moving through the vets in the bull pen.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Jimenez or Santana is going to cost us 10 plus million a year, while our 2nd rounder is going to cost us a fraction of that and could possibly be in our organization for the next 8-10 years. I honestly would rather not give a draft pick for mediocre, aging free agent fodder at all. It's not that Hahn isn't participating in free agency, he just is being selective about who to pursue.

The addition of a SP would allow you to deal one from depth next year. The idea is Johnson shows enough in the rotation in 2014 to take Quintana's place in 2015 if need be and they can deal Quintana. Or if Danks has a bounce back year he can be dealt.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
The addition of a SP would allow you to deal one from depth next year. The idea is Johnson shows enough in the rotation in 2014 to take Quintana's place in 2015 if need be and they can deal Quintana. Or if Danks has a bounce back year he can be dealt.

It only allows you to deal from depth next year if everything goes right. Jimenez is not consistent enough to put that kind of a wager on

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Pick a lane Marty, you are simultaneously complaining that there is no depth in the minors and advocating trading away the ability to restock the minors. Jimenez isn't worth the money you are saying should be offered or the pick that would be surrendered.

"Pick a lane" . . . please. Your argument is flawed because the reason they have no talent in the minors is because the way they used those picks not because they were giving them away by signing free agents.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
It only allows you to deal from depth next year if everything goes right. Jimenez is not consistent enough to put that kind of a wager on

And that 2nd round pick is only worth something if everything goes right too.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that if the Sox sign Santana or Jimenez to a multi year deal and attempt to deal them at the deadline or next year they will have to pitch well enough to EXCEED the value of the deal we just handed them. A deal that NO OTHER team in the major leagues was willing to give them this off-season.

If you are advocating trading Q instead, you are effectively replacing a young, cheap, excellent starter for an expensive, older, and less effective starter and trying to pass it off as us improving the ball club. If Q would get us a return that could help the ball club in other areas, it's basically just trading one problem for another. Then we would have an issue of rotation depth and you would complain that we don't have any depth in the minors which is because we forfeited a pick. It makes zero baseball sense.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
"Pick a lane" . . . please. Your argument is flawed because the reason they have no talent in the minors is because the way they used those picks not because they were giving them away by signing free agents.

Lol ok. Spend all the money, spend it on whoever signs first, and continue to ignore the minors.

Marty's flawed argument, rinse, repeat, say "we won't compete until (3 years from current year) anyways, so let's not be patient and sign people.

You calling anyone's argument flawed is hilarious

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Lol ok. Spend all the money, spend it on whoever signs first, and continue to ignore the minors.

Marty's flawed argument, rinse, repeat, say "we won't compete until (3 years from current year) anyways, so let's not be patient and sign people.

You calling anyone's argument flawed is hilarious

I called your argument flawed which it was.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Hahn on 670: "At this point in time, we're not going to do anything that costs us a draft pick."

Right, Hanhn said this literally two months ago or more and yet 17 pages later the war wages on. A team coming off of a 99 loss season has no logical reason to do anything that would cost them draft picks when they have one of the worst farms in baseball and the #3 pick overall in a draft that is loaded with talent (according to scouts).

Wait, let's do whatever is popular in the moment.

Let's add Pujols, Greinke and Hamilton.

Ooops, wait, let's develop our farm system.

Oops, let's sign Tanaka and compete this season.

Oops, let's sign Jimenez/Santana and trade Sale or Quintana so we can compete at some point in the future (or trade them), except our minor league system sucks still so we should give up our 2nd round pick even though our last six have all been pretty decent selections and won't cost the franchise $40-50 million, which will impede our ability to sign future Tanakas/Abreu's.

Let's trade for BJ Upton while we're at it.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah yeah, intents and purposes.

When are the Cubs going to actually get some starting pitching?

Do they need to trade away Castro, Samardzija and Rizzo to accomplish that?

There's always next year...

:bang

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Wait, let's do whatever is popular in the moment.

Let's add Pujols, Greinke and Hamilton.

Ooops, wait, let's develop our farm system.

Oops, let's sign Tanaka and compete this season.

Oops, let's sign Jimenez/Santana and trade Sale or Quintana so we can compete at some point in the future (or trade them), except our minor league system sucks still so we should give up our 2nd round pick even though our last six have all been pretty decent selections and won't cost the franchise $40-50 million, which will impede our ability to sign future Tanakas/Abreu's.

Let's trade for BJ Upton while we're at it.

Naw, let's just clone me 25 times and have the entire roster be made up of me's. I wouldn't mind taking home about 100M per season.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Naw, let's just clone me 25 times and have the entire roster be made up of me's. I wouldn't mind taking home about 100M per season.

Sounds like a bad nixed subplot from Gattaca, Surrogates or Source Code.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
Utter insanity to pay big money and a draft pick for inconsistent pitchers like Santana or Jiminez.

We've made good progress. Keep doing it.

edit: ERVIN santana... mind fart moment.... no reason to sign him, bad idea.

What about Johan Santana?

He likely wouldn't cost much due to injury issues. He might be someone i'd take a flyer on with coop/herm running the show.

I'm not signing anyone that requires draft pick comp.

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
edit: ERVIN santana... mind fart moment.... no reason to sign him, bad idea.

What about Johan Santana?

He likely wouldn't cost much due to injury issues. He might be someone i'd take a flyer on with coop/herm running the show.

I'm not signing anyone that requires draft pick comp.

I would be much more willing to take a low dollar, one year shot at Johan, versus Ervin.