Soxfest thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
What is funny is as bad as Dunn was last year, his OBP and OPS was almost identical to Avasail Garcia's is a White Sox uniform.

I guess expecting people to be classy is a bit much.

Bo Jackson won't get booed out of the Palmer House, but check his White Sox numbers vs. Dunn's.

I would say that is like comparing apples to oranges, but your comparisons are so far off that saying doesn't do it justice.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm sorry that everyone who roots for the Sox can't live up to the level of class you apparently have.

Now excuse me while I go cry for Adam Dunn and every ballplayer who has ever been heckled. Those poor bastards, I bet there aren't enough expensive toys and hot females out there to soothe their pain from all those classless fans out there who spend 20 bucks for a hot dog and a beer just to watch them play ball.

No one said cry for Dunn, but I would think people would have an interest in being a decent human being and treating people with the same respect they would want to be treated. If you think what happened in those seminars was appropriate, I feel sorry for you.

This is just silly. Lets act like casual fans won't speak their mind if given the chance. And lets act all high and mighty and talk down to those classless fans, we're white sox fans, we're better than those people who can't resist speaking their mind!

Give me a break, there is no code for being a white sox fan, or a cubs fan, or a fan of anything. People are gonna always act like people have done for thousands of year. So while you might disagree with it, that's fine, but get off your pedastals of looking down at others like your so high and mighty and never disrespect or insult anyone.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
This is just silly. Lets act like casual fans won't speak their mind if given the chance. And lets act all high and mighty and talk down to those classless fans, we're white sox fans, we're better than those people who can't resist speaking their mind!

Give me a break, there is no code for being a white sox fan, or a cubs fan, or a fan of anything. People are gonna always act like people have done for thousands of year. So while you might disagree with it, that's fine, but get off your pedastals of looking down at others like your so high and mighty and never disrespect or insult anyone.

THIS

Dunn is lucky the fans aren't flinging poo at him

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm sorry that everyone who roots for the Sox can't live up to the level of class you apparently have.

Now excuse me while I go cry for Adam Dunn and every ballplayer who has ever been heckled. Those poor bastards, I bet there aren't enough expensive toys and hot females out there to soothe their pain from all those classless fans out there who spend 20 bucks for a hot dog and a beer just to watch them play ball.

Someone's paycheck is completely irrelevant as to how they should be treated. I'm sorry you think that acting like an ass towards someone just because they make a lot of money is OK, and should somehow be celebrated. Excuse me while I have some expectations for common decency.

I think it is pretty ironic you have no problem treating Adam Dunn like a D-bag, but get pissed when someone tells you want they think of it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
Then why would they want the Sox to release him and pay him for nothing?

Between booing Dunn or cheering when a blockhead said they wanted him gone, and the Ventura pulse comment, White Sox fans have no right to blast other fan bases. Ours is classless.

Buying a ticket to an event shouldn't mean you can now disrespect people without consequence. From many there, it was embarrassing as a White Sox fan. I agree. What is wrong with people?

I was commenting on your comparisons, not the comments made by Sox fans. You would have to ask the fans why they want to pay Dunn to not be on the team, I'm not one of them. I want Dunn gone but am not willing to pay him to stay off the team.

Personally I would not have said the things that were said but thats just me. When you're a fan of a 99 loss team, spending alot of money just to see a game (tickets, concessions, parking) and watch Dunn at 15m per year suck you tend to get a little frustrated, especially after watching Dunn hack it up for three seasons already. I don't agree with the comments but I understand the frustration.

I can honestly say I have never treated anyone like that. I may have told them I disagree with them but not in that manner. You can speak your mind without treating other people like garbage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Someone's paycheck is completely irrelevant as to how they should be treated. I'm sorry you think that acting like an ass towards someone just because they make a lot of money is OK, and should somehow be celebrated. Excuse me while I have some expectations for common decency.

Someone's paycheck is totally relevant in this case because a good portion of the revenue the White Sox bring in to pay those salaries come from the wallets of those fans. And it's not like Dunn's dog is being kicked, they're just words and it comes with the territory.

Also, I don't know where you come off trying to put words in my mouth. I already said s***ting on people in a situation like soxfest isn't my thing. But again, I'm not gonna act like I have any right to tell people how to act as you so apparently feel like you have the right to do.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Someone's paycheck is totally relevant in this case because a good portion of the revenue the White Sox bring in to pay those salaries come from the wallets of those fans. And it's not like Dunn's dog is being kicked, they're just words and it comes with the territory.

Also, I don't know where you come off trying to put words in my mouth. I already said s***ting on people in a situation like soxfest isn't my thing. But again, I'm not gonna act like I have any right to tell people how to act as you so apparently feel like you have the right to do.

Again, you shouldn't have any problems with my posts then, because they're just words and it comes with the territory... Right?

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)

It does not come with the territory to treat people like that. You can say they played bad, I;m sure he knows that, but to constantly treat him like that is wrong. Maybe it's just the parent in me but when people behave that poorly, you do have the right to tell them they should treat others with respect. It's just being civilized.

99% of the time(Jamie Navarro/Sox and John Starks when he was very briefly a Bull are a few exceptions I can think of) I'm against booing your own team players/mgr, whatever. They're our guys. Gripe about them maybe sure but show them respect for crissakes. It doesn't matter how much f***ing money they get paid. What the hell does that matter?!

I dont get why everyone is taking last season out on Dunn. He was probably our best offensive player. He is not the reason the Sox lost 99 games. And he next time i hear somebody use the we pay his salary argument im going to lose it. Any consumer of any product is in a sense paying the salary of said companies employees. That doesnt mean i can walk into wal mart and treat a cashier like s*** just because i feel theyre underperforming.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
99% of the time(Jamie Navarro/Sox and John Starks when he was very briefly a Bull are a few exceptions I can think of) I'm against booing your own team players/mgr, whatever. They're our guys. Gripe about them maybe sure but show them respect for crissakes. It doesn't matter how much f***ing money they get paid. What the hell does that matter?!

Wow, i had completely forgotten Starks was with the Bulls. Goes to show how memorable his Bulls career was. What did he end up playing, 5 or 6 games for them tops?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
Wow, i had completely forgotten Starks was with the Bulls. Goes to show how memorable his Bulls career was. What did he end up playing, 5 or 6 games for them tops?

Yeah, I thought it was 1 or 2 games. I HATED that dude from his Knicks days. Much more than I hated Rodman from his Pistons days. I came to love Rodman anyway as I guess most Bulls fans did.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
I dont get why everyone is taking last season out on Dunn. He was probably our best offensive player. He is not the reason the Sox lost 99 games. And he next time i hear somebody use the we pay his salary argument im going to lose it. Any consumer of any product is in a sense paying the salary of said companies employees. That doesnt mean i can walk into wal mart and treat a cashier like s*** just because i feel theyre underperforming.

Or if you own stock in the aforementioned company, like 100-200-300 shares.

Perhaps it is because you weren't there. Perhaps you're just immature. It's not really up for debate though, no matter how contrarian you want to be. It's pretty much a despicable act. I'm not saying you cannot dislike the guy, but that's not the place to act that way. It was embarrassing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Again, you shouldn't have any problems with my posts then, because they're just words and it comes with the territory... Right?

You know what, maybe you're right. Maybe I just have a problem with people who feel like it's up to them to tell other people how to act.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
It does not come with the territory to treat people like that. You can say they played bad, I;m sure he knows that, but to constantly treat him like that is wrong. Maybe it's just the parent in me but when people behave that poorly, you do have the right to tell them they should treat others with respect. It's just being civilized.

Put it on the board...YES!

Adam Dunn has been a stand-up guy. He knows his own stats better than anyone on this board. You wanna go off on David Wells, the most putrid excuse for a White Sox I can think of...or Alex Rodriguez, the Voldemort of the MLB...go ahead. But there is no reason to think that Adam Dunn hasn't done his absolute (clean) best and just not been as good as any of us would have liked (him included).

Soxtalk is an interesting representation of our world...which has just gotten too effing mean-spirited.

Edited by buckweaver

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Perhaps it is because you weren't there. Perhaps you're just immature. It's not really up for debate though, no matter how contrarian you want to be. It's pretty much a despicable act. I'm not saying you cannot dislike the guy, but that's not the place to act that way. It was embarrassing.

My question is why not there? People are paying hundreds of dollars to attend and naturally most people wear their emotions on their sleeve. I could understand if this was a free event but the sox are making a killing off of this. Maybe I just don't feel sympathy for players and coaches getting paid a whole lot of money for what most of us would do for free.

And being a public figure leads you open to criticism.