Sox still trying to trade Dunn?

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...0,503683.column

Adam Dunn says the White Sox’s acquisition of Cuban slugger Jose Abreu and re-signing of Paul Konerko doesn’t change anything about his primary goal, which is making the playoffs.

“Whatever to win, I don’t care,’’ Dunn said during Soxfest. “There are no egos, especially with me and Paul. We talked about it when he was making his decision. Whatever is going to help us win that night, I know he’s for it and I’m for it. That, to me, is a non-issue.’’

Give Dunn this: That’s the right thing to say. That’s the right attitude.

But there are two problems with Dunn: One, I don’t have a lot of faith he’ll feel that way in June if he isn’t getting the playing time he’s used to, and two, the Sox won’t make the playoffs until Dunn leaves.

In 13 major-league seasons, Dunn has never made the playoffs. I don’t think Dunn has even made a postseason in a video game.

That’s not a fluke. It can’t be, not after all these years, not when we’re talking about a guy who always bats in the heart of the order.

The Sox need to dump Dunn, whatever the cost. General manager Rick Hahn continues fast-forwarding change on the South Side, but it will be slowed as long as Dunn remains. If the Sox have to pay his salary to move him, then pay it.

I tried to scream loud and often to get him traded last season. I'm a pleaser, not a teaser. But it didn’t work. The Sox weren’t going to make a deal where they paid Dunn $15 million or $20 million not to play for them, even though that’s a win right there.

Chairman Reinsdorf doesn’t like paying people not to work for him. I get that. But by keeping Dunn and forcing manager Robin Ventura to force Dunn into the lineup, the chairman might be paying a guy to stand in the way of someone’s development.

And there’s a third problem with Dunn: His power numbers with the Sox are the worst of his career. After three seasons, Dunn’s Sox slash line of .197/.317/.405 is the worst of any team he has played for.

Maybe he’ll get better. The Sox are betting the last year of Dunn’s four-year, $56 million contract on it.

But Dunn is 34, so good luck with that.

I forgot -- there’s a fourth problem with Dunn: I like the guy.

I’ve always found Dunn entertaining in a self-aware way. He’s self-effacing, or at least honest about his failures. He’s unfiltered, and I like that. I like listening to Dunn. I like what he says, and I hate liking guys I want to trade.

So I’m going to stop reading what Dunn says and get back to trading him.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Yeah, that article is a Rosenbloom rant and it doesn't suggest anything new like "Sox still trying to trade Dunn" as the headline of this thread says. More accurate would be "Rosenbloom wants Sox to trade Dunn".

That was actually the title on Twitter.

The Sox have to pay Dunn $15M more no matter what.

The Sox have to accept that they cannot get anything of value out of Dunn in a trade because he has no value to anyone.

The one thing they do not have to do is play him, or even keep him on the roster.

Someone in the borderline top-25 prospects section compared Wilkins to Gload. That's a nice thing if it happens given that Gload was a solid bench player who got us Andy Sisco - who didn't turn out, but huge lefties throwing mid-to-high 90's are a nice return for a bench player, not matter how you slice it. Thing is, we already have another potential Gload on the roster, probably a far more versatile one actually, and his name is Connor Gillaspie. Connor alone represents more than what the Sox could hope to get out of Dunn through trade, and he also represents more long-term potential value to the franchise than Dunn offers. Connor Gillaspie alone is enough reason to call a spade a f***ing spade and dump the guy. But when you further add in the absolute lunacy that is a platoon situation between Viciedo and DeAza it's a f***ing no-brainer. You don't take ABs away from any of these guys in favor of Dunn.

This is so stupid. The Sox need to admit they f***ed up and dump the guy. If Dunn's such a great teammate and whatever then maybe he'll do an Andruw Jones/Dodgers thing, where the Dodgers deferred some $$$ and Andruw was able to sign with the Rangers for the minimum and extend his career a bit as a bench guy.

What f***in team is going to step up and take some of this $$$$? What f***in team is going to step up and offer a player of consequence? Nobody. f***in nobody. Suck it up and do what you have to do Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)
I actually get a kick out of Rosenbloom, but to put the blame on Dunn that his team never made the playoffs is crazy.

Rosenbloom is the man, but this rant was particularly stupid. It's not Dunn's fault that the Reds has horrendous pitching during his time in Cincinnati.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
It's not, but the main point remains: Dunn's a nice guy, but he needs to go.

And the main counterpoint...that the Sox would have moved him already if they could get anything useful for him...remains as well.

I like accepting that he's getting our money no matter what. So let's quit sweating about how his play measures up to his salary. As a player in a vacuum, he's a real nice to have. If he was a FA coming from the Mets, we'd be excited to pick him up and see what happens. I'm glad we have perhaps the most powerful LH hitter in baseball in our lineup to stick in the middle of a bunch of very young right handed sluggers. That he's a good guy only makes it easier to be a fan.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
And Rosenbloom is right. Because Dunn's a nice guy everyone wants to stick up for him and play the emotional angle. This game hoever is supposed to be run like a business, not an episode of Oprah. He's tuna, f***in can him.

It is being run like a business, which is why Dunn is still here. If he does something in the first half he could still have value. If he doesn't, he still has the same value he has now, zero. He isn't blocking anyone worth a s*** from playing. Dunn isn't a problem in the clubhouse.

There is literally no good reason for the White Sox to eat Dunn's deal right now. If they are going to be paying him no matter what, it is better to save him for the chance, no matter how small, that he has a decent first half and someone takes him on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
And the main counterpoint...that the Sox would have moved him already if they could get anything useful for him...remains as well.

You don't need to. Why would you need to?

The PA alone represent a significant amount in terms of resources. Players need to play so that you know what you have on your roster. Rebuilding teams need to develop players. Keeping Dunn in hopes of gaining some marginal prospect and/or a couple mil in savings is one of the dumbest things any rebuilding team can do because it is pissing away one extremely valuable resource in hopes of recovering some scant amount of a poor investment. Again, this is a business, not an episode of Oprah.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
It is being run like a business, which is why Dunn is still here. If he does something in the first half he could still have value. If he doesn't, he still has the same value he has now, zero. He isn't blocking anyone worth a s*** from playing. Dunn isn't a problem in the clubhouse.

There is literally no good reason for the White Sox to eat Dunn's deal right now. If they are going to be paying him no matter what, it is better to save him for the chance, no matter how small, that he has a decent first half and someone takes him on.

He's taking ABs away from Viciedo, DeAza, and Gillaspie, and he is taking a roster spot away from Leury/Elmore/Danks/the list goes on. AAA Charlotte is already loaded in the infield as it is.

He's taking away a LOT and for what is in all probability no return. No return.

And you still have to pay him $15M no matter what you do and no matter what he does.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
He's taking ABs away from Viciedo, DeAza, and Gillaspie, and he is taking a roster spot away from Leury/Elmore/Danks/the list goes on. AAA Charlotte is already loaded in the infield as it is.

And you still have to pay him $15M no matter what you do and no matter what he does.

Viciedo? no.

De Aza? no.

Gillaspie? Maybe, but who cares. Gillaspie isn't any piece of the future.

Leury/Elmore/Danks/? That goes to the "not worth a s***" part. Why would anyone waste time caring if Leury Garcia was on a major league roster? So we can win 79 games instead of 78 this year?

If Adam Dunn was blocking a real major leaguer, it would be different... But Jordan Danks and Jake Elmore? lol.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

If they were concerned about those PA's, they wouldn't have spent an extra $2.5 million on a completely unnecessary right-handed DH. They made their call.

Another Dunn thread huh? I think I'm one of the only guys on the board that still enjoys him. He was one of my favorite players in baseball prior to the trade and I still like watching him hit bombs even though he's been a big disappointment. Didn't Dunn have the highest .OPS on the team still last year? I just don't understand the hate honestly. I understand not wanting him on the team anymore. But hating the guy? The only thing he did wrong was not live up to the contract he signed. It's really getting rather old around here.

I love how everybody thinks that the guy who had the highest OPS on the team last year is the problem. Yea, maybe he's no longer worth the $15 million he's getting paid, but the talk of just cutting him and absorbing the cost is just ridiculous. And anybody who even suggests that Dunn was the reason the Reds and Nationals weren't making the playoffs when he was putting up his .900+ OPS seasons is a f***ing moron.

Adam Dunn is the junked car sitting in your front lawn. It doesn't matter that you paid $6,000 for it on Craigslist. It doesn't matter that it *should* have run like this or that, or that it "shouldn't* have had this or that problem. The point is that your yard is a s*** hole, and there's a guy out there who will happily come tow it away for you and give you whatever it's junked value is. You already lost your money, that's gone, and nobody is ever going to give you value back beyond the scrap amount that it's worth. So you have a choice, either deal with your mistake and move forward or sit there and hope someone will pay you an amount that the market isn't going to bare.

If you have to eat $14M and take back nothing then that $1M saved is $1M more you can devote to another area or simply hang on to. If you have to eat all the cash then you still end up with 500-600 extra PA over a season to work with. Still a bonus, and still more than you had before.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Adam Dunn is the junked car sitting in your front lawn. It doesn't matter that you paid $6,000 for it on Craigslist. It doesn't matter that it *should* have run like this or that, or that it "shouldn't* have had this or that problem. The point is that your yard is a s*** hole, and there's a guy out there who will happily come tow it away for you and give you whatever it's junked value is. You already lost your money, that's gone, and nobody is ever going to give you value back beyond the scrap amount that it's worth. So you have a choice, either deal with your mistake and move forward or sit there and hope someone will pay you an amount that the market isn't going to bare.

If you have to eat $14M and take back nothing then that $1M saved is $1M more you can devote to another area or simply hang on to. If you have to eat all the cash then you still end up with 500-600 extra PA over a season to work with. Still a bonus, and still more than you had before.

Yeah, this entire post is completely wrong and off base.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)

That isn't completely true. There is nothing to stop Dunn from having a bounce back spring and finding the one team who will give up something for him.

If not, you are at the same place you started. Adam Dunn on this roster doesn't hurt the Sox one iota. The guys we are talking about giving plate appearances to are all worse than Adam Dunn, and won't be any real part of any good future White Sox teams.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I love how everybody thinks that the guy who had the highest OPS on the team last year is the problem. Yea, maybe he's no longer worth the $15 million he's getting paid, but the talk of just cutting him and absorbing the cost is just ridiculous. And anybody who even suggests that Dunn was the reason the Reds and Nationals weren't making the playoffs when he was putting up his .900+ OPS seasons is a f***ing moron.

Adam Dunn was a taller midget among the many midgets who danced around on last year's 99-loss team. If players here continue to put up numbers like Dunn's have been here then guess what? We're the f***ing Royals. That's real fun. The idea is to change this.

BTW we're not contending next year. Whatever offensive improvement Dunn may provide of any other potential core piece is absolutely irrelevant and only further removes us from the #1 pick. We're not nearly close enough for such a marginal increase to push us over the top and into contention.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Adam Dunn was a taller midget among the many midgets who danced around on last year's 99-loss team. If players here continue to put up numbers like Dunn's have been here then guess what? We're the f***ing Royals. That's real fun. The idea is to change this.

BTW we're not contending next year. Whatever offensive improvement Dunn may provide of any other potential core piece is absolutely irrelevant and only further removes us from the #1 pick. We're not nearly close enough for such a marginal increase to push us over the top and into contention.

There is no one on this roster who is being blocked by Adam Dunn who would put up better numbers than Adam Dunn.

If Adam Dunn comes out and hits .250/.350/.500 against right handed pitching in the first half of the year, you can bet you'll be able to save some money and not have to eat the entire thing while potentially getting a guy a team has DFA'd or a live arm or something. It's worth the risk because, as you said, you're just eating the salary otherwise.