Sox still trying to trade Dunn?

southsider2k5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Dunn's shadow is so large it covers the #1 free agent. :lol:

Eaton, Garcia, and Davidson say Yo, muchas gracias, and Hey too. The Sox have done some impressive heavy lifting this off season, not to mention a pretty real pursuit of Tanaka.

Honestly this thread has just turned into trolling and is silly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Why keep him?

#1) If this team is going to compete or resemble something close to competitiveness, Dunn will be needed. He shouldn't play much versus lefties this year with Konerko on the roster, but they have absolutely no chance without him.

#2) There is a chance that, with a good first half, some of Dunn's contract can be saved in a trade.

#3) Who are you reasonably going to replace him with that is going to do or be anything of significance?

I think they are probably trying to work out trades to get him off the team, but they don't want to eat $15 million just to get rid of him. He's still a useful player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
#1) If this team is going to compete or resemble something close to competitiveness, Dunn will be needed. He shouldn't play much versus lefties this year with Konerko on the roster, but they have absolutely no chance without him.

#2) There is a chance that, with a good first half, some of Dunn's contract can be saved in a trade.

#3) Who are you reasonably going to replace him with that is going to do or be anything of significance?

I think they are probably trying to work out trades to get him off the team, but they don't want to eat $15 million just to get rid of him. He's still a useful player.

I completely agree with everything you have stated. Makes no sense right now, unless a team is willing to eat the whole 15 million.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
It is a hefty "thanks for playing the game, here's $14,000,000.00 and the home version as a partying gift".

He's already got that. The money has already been spent.

Re: the rest of this abortion:

The arguments for keeping Dunn here are hilarious. Supposedly he's not taking ABs away from anyone that matters, right. Are his ABs coming from the sky? Are the Sox getting a special exemption this year that offers them 33 or so outs per game so that Dunn's PA won't count against the team? Do they get to keep a 26th man this year while the other 29 teams get 25?

This is absurd.

WTF do you people think is a realistic return for this guy? Do you really think anything of value is coming back? How much $$$ you think another team is going to be willing to eat? And why would you expect that return to be more valuable than getting a better look at players we already have on the roster? Trying to recoup a small part of a terrible investment at the cost of PAs for players who are under team control for several seasons is absurd, the thinking is completely irrational and counterproductive to the entire process. The money has already been spent, we already surrendered the draft pick. Put the drink down, tell the waitress to go away, stand up and walk away from the table you irrational gambling maniac lush. Goodness gracious.

Dunn is not a part of the team's future. Regardless of results, his PA are much better spent on other players who have a chance at being long-term players, whether they are as starters or bench guys.

The "striking fear into the opposition" part is f***ing hilarious also. We're really going to be striking fear into pitchers looking to rack up stats against our s***ty bottom feeding team. And the idea that just because Dunn may put up better numbers than say Jake Elmore, it is better to play Dunn is equally hilarious. I'm laughing with anger right now, man this is great, what a riot. This team is going to be *losing for a very specific purpose* and the idea here is to find out as much as possible about as many players as possible so that the losing doesn't have to continue much further than it already has to.

Playing Dunn this year is THE SAME EXACT THING as signing a 1-year DH for the league minimum and giving him the PA necessary to rebuild his value. Now with the right player in the situation this *could* be an intelligent move, however signing a very limited hacker like Dunn, who 25 teams probably wouldn't even have a place for even under the best of realistic circumstances as it is, and then expecting that player to some how climb out of what appears to be a career-ending statistical decline - that's not very smart.

Again, there IS NO DIFFERENCE. The $15M is gone. We're not going to be getting back a good enough player or enough of that salary to make it worth the while to give Dunn PA over just about any other member of this roster.

You guys keep making the same flawed arguments over and over: we're not going to be winning. The numbers don't matter. The PA however do.

Now I expect to be quoted and have something said like "well you're just wrong" or "no team is going to eat that much money" completely ignoring all of the logic behind making the necessary moves to dump this guy from the roster.

If the Sox can recover anything at all in salary they should do it. They can't get out of their payroll obligations and every other f***ing team knows this and because of this the Sox have exactly zero leverage in any trade negotiation. The PA and development time of other players are more important than Dunn and anything Dunn can realistically bring back. Even if you get back the ghost of Brandon Hynick and $1.5M savings you're still getting a deal because you just opened up a s***load of PA & opened up another roster spot.

Have mercy.

Thank God for Marty, he makes a lot of sense sometimes but yall just wanna hate irrespectively. I can hate too when it comes to his views on Ozzie, but his thoughts on Dunn are accurate. The fans don't want this guy on the team and yes, that does mean something, since they buy the f***ing tickets.

Christ in heaven.

Jesus.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)

The arguments for keeping Dunn here are hilarious. Supposedly he's not taking ABs away from anyone that matters, right. Are his ABs coming from the sky? Are the Sox getting a special exemption this year that offers them 33 or so outs per game so that Dunn's PA won't count against the team? Do they get to keep a 26th man this year while the other 29 teams get 25?

This is absurd.

WTF do you people think is a realistic return for this guy? Do you really think anything of value is coming back? How much $$$ you think another team is going to be willing to eat? And why would you expect that return to be more valuable than getting a better look at players we already have on the roster? Trying to recoup a small part of a terrible investment at the cost of PAs for players who are under team control for several seasons is absurd, the thinking is completely irrational and counterproductive to the entire process. The money has already been spent, we already surrendered the draft pick. Put the drink down, tell the waitress to go away, stand up and walk away from the table you irrational gambling maniac lush. Goodness gracious.

Dunn is not a part of the team's future. Regardless of results, his PA are much better spent on other players who have a chance at being long-term players, whether they are as starters or bench guys.

The "striking fear into the opposition" part is f***ing hilarious also. We're really going to be striking fear into pitchers looking to rack up stats against our s***ty bottom feeding team. And the idea that just because Dunn may put up better numbers than say Jake Elmore, it is better to play Dunn is equally hilarious. I'm laughing with anger right now, man this is great, what a riot. This team is going to be *losing for a very specific purpose* and the idea here is to find out as much as possible about as many players as possible so that the losing doesn't have to continue much further than it already has to.

Playing Dunn this year is THE SAME EXACT THING as signing a 1-year DH for the league minimum and giving him the PA necessary to rebuild his value. Now with the right player in the situation this *could* be an intelligent move, however signing a very limited hacker like Dunn, who 25 teams probably wouldn't even have a place for even under the best of realistic circumstances as it is, and then expecting that player to some how climb out of what appears to be a career-ending statistical decline - that's not very smart.

Again, there IS NO DIFFERENCE. The $15M is gone. We're not going to be getting back a good enough player or enough of that salary to make it worth the while to give Dunn PA over just about any other member of this roster.

You guys keep making the same flawed arguments over and over: we're not going to be winning. The numbers don't matter. The PA however do.

Now I expect to be quoted and have something said like "well you're just wrong" or "no team is going to eat that much money" completely ignoring all of the logic behind making the necessary moves to dump this guy from the roster.

If the Sox can recover anything at all in salary they should do it. They can't get out of their payroll obligations and every other f***ing team knows this and because of this the Sox have exactly zero leverage in any trade negotiation. The PA and development time of other players are more important than Dunn and anything Dunn can realistically bring back. Even if you get back the ghost of Brandon Hynick and $1.5M savings you're still getting a deal because you just opened up a s***load of PA & opened up another roster spot.

Have mercy.

Thank God for Marty, he makes a lot of sense sometimes but yall just wanna hate irrespectively. I can hate too when it comes to his views on Ozzie, but his thoughts on Dunn are accurate. The fans don't want this guy on the team and yes, that does mean something, since they buy the f***ing tickets.

Christ in heaven.

Jesus.

White Sox fans don't buy tickets. That won't change with Dunn gone.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Why don't you want Paulino in the rotation? That was a really good signing. Have you ever seen the guy pitch before?

It doesn't matter. The Sox should sign Jimenez or that other guy to a 4-year/$50 million contract instead.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
It doesn't matter. The Sox should sign Jimenez or that other guy to a 4-year/$50 million contract instead.

And give up a draft pick. I forgot. Sounds like a great idea. That needed to be in green by the way.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
White Sox fans don't buy tickets. That won't change with Dunn gone.

Goddamn I just can't argue with that one. Maybe instead of a Disco Demolition Night we have a Dunn Demolition Night & all the fans throw s*** at Dunn from the stands. Or maybe instead of your typical Dog Day instead of bringing their dogs the fans just spend the whole game pointing at Dunn.

Dunn will probably wind up hitting around .200 with around a .750 OPS. Not worth the money but neither is sitting on his couch eating Cheetos or playing for another team.

He had a 3 month stretch where he was pretty good. If he had 5 months like this, the people wanting to dump him would probably want to bring him back.

June .274/.402/.589

July .277/.388/.470

August .267/.355/.438

He is worth keeping around because there is a chance he can be helpful and there is a chance someone may give you something for him, if only slight salary relief if the White Sox are not contending. Releasing Dunn is no chance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)

It's funny how people think a pitcher who was very good as recently as last year can't bring back a worthwhile return in trade within a year or two but somehow Dunn can.

Whatever. At least we don't *have* to pay another pitcher, however we do *have* to pay Dunn.

You guys are terrible.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
It's funny how people think a pitcher who was very good as recently as last year can't bring back a worthwhile return in trade within a year or two but somehow Dunn can.

Whatever. At least we don't *have* to pay another pitcher, however we do *have* to pay Dunn.

You guys are terrible.

*sigh* Do we have to go over this again and have this thread closed, too? If we were talking about signing one of those guys to a 1-year deal, that makes a little more sense. But signing a guy to a multi-year contract in the hopes that he could be traded a few months later is ridiculous.

However, I never said I thought Dunn could bring back anything decent in a trade. I know he couldn't. So let's all agree on one thing here: Adam Dunn is going to play for the White Sox this season...whether we like it or not.

I know he's younger, and has shown some type of potential in the past, but Mark Trumbo was traded alone for Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs.....If Dunn comes out and hits like he did for the 3 months in the middle of the season last year, or even like how he did the first 2 months of the 2012 season (.230/.370/.550 on pace for 50 HRs and 111 RBI), then someone will offer up an intriguing piece for him.

I've been one of the few supporters of Dunn the last 2 years, and I truly believe you can win with the guy. We saw this in 2012 when they were in it until injuries hit both he and PK.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)

This is absurd.

Have mercy.

Christ in heaven.

Jesus.

TUC. You act like we are unaware of the concept of a sunk cost, but that is simply untrue. Wite's post above makes no reference to Dunn's salary. The reason you keep Dunn on the roster is because he still has a small chance of having a monster first half and getting something for him, whereas cutting him reduces that chance to 0%. I agree that he's taking ABs that should go to Viciedo, allowing ADA regular playing time in LF, and I'd eventually like to see him off the roster for that reason. But you're conveniently ignoring the part where you might get something back for him in the future and you definitely won't now.

Also, nobody is hating on Marty indiscriminately. We are hating on his arguments because they're bad and selectively blind to counterpoints. I don't know where this persecution complex is coming from but I have nothing against you OR Marty as people, I just find your arguments as flawed as you find the rest of ours.

EDIT: Okay, Wite's post DID mention Dunn's salary but in reference to eating future payments, which is legitimate because, as I've pointed out before, Dunn's contract is not actually a sunk cost. The potential for trade in the future exists, which would eliminate or mitigate future cost.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
I know he's younger, and has shown some type of potential in the past, but Mark Trumbo was traded alone for Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs.....If Dunn comes out and hits like he did for the 3 months in the middle of the season last year, or even like how he did the first 2 months of the 2012 season (.230/.370/.550 on pace for 50 HRs and 111 RBI), then someone will offer up an intriguing piece for him.

I've been one of the few supporters of Dunn the last 2 years, and I truly believe you can win with the guy. We saw this in 2012 when they were in it until injuries hit both he and PK.

Trumbo is also pre-arb. He is going to make a million or two next year.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)

You guys are terrible.

We're terrible? You are the one who wants to eat $15 million and kick Dunn to the curb while then bringing in a player for the same exact type of contract!

Hypocrisy, thy name is you

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
We're terrible? You are the one who wants to eat $15 million and kick Dunn to the curb while then bringing in a player for the same exact type of contract!

Hypocrisy, thy name is you

Give Jimenez or Santana a 4 year deal and their contract could be as big an albatross in their last year as Dunn's is now.