2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Why is ND wearing rivals uniforms vs Purdue.

2. They are horrific looking.

They wear "unique" uniforms for the Shamrock Series games. Most people hate them but the players seem to think they are cool.

So far two very "meh" defensive games sandwiching the one outstanding one. With USC and Louisville both losing today, I don't see ND getting into the playoff with a loss, and I don't see this team winning at FSU.

Only four starters (if you include the kicker) in their last year of eligibility though.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I'm sure no one watched the Ball State/ISU game, but let me fill you in on how it ended....

Ball State down by 7, they have the ball at the 50 with about a minute left. They drive down the field, get to about the 10 yard line. The QB Ozzie Mann runs the ball and gets stopped at about the 1 yard line, with about 8 seconds left and no timeouts. All the players rush to the line to get the last play off, and as the ref is running to the line with the ball, he gets bumped in to by a lineman, and drops the ball, which bounds a few yards away, and the clock expires while the ref if corralling the ball.........Game over, no last play of the game, the refs immediately sprint off the field to boos by the crowd.

Can't make that s*** up.

I had to watch the replay of that on ESPN3 after reading this. While it's crazy, the QB simply can't run the ball there. That's the risk when you stay in bounds.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
I had to watch the replay of that on ESPN3 after reading this. While it's crazy, the QB simply can't run the ball there. That's the risk when you stay in bounds.

You risk the referee fumbled the ball 10 feet away and burning the end of the game clock? Lol. I agree they should have gone all passes there at the end, but what a horses*** way to lose the game. How can there not be something in the rules that allows the refs to allow them to take one last play with 1 second left to end the game? I mean, there is no doubt they get that play off if the ref doesn't lose the football.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
They wear "unique" uniforms for the Shamrock Series games. Most people hate them but the players seem to think they are cool.

So far two very "meh" defensive games sandwiching the one outstanding one. With USC and Louisville both losing today, I don't see ND getting into the playoff with a loss, and I don't see this team winning at FSU.

Only four starters (if you include the kicker) in their last year of eligibility though.

I actually really liked tonight's uniforms. They reminded me a lot of the STL Rams uniforms, which I love.

Exactly. You risk a lot of things happening at that point. The call/decision is the reason they lost.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 02:46 AM)
You risk the referee fumbled the ball 10 feet away and burning the end of the game clock? Lol. I agree they should have gone all passes there at the end, but what a horses*** way to lose the game. How can there not be something in the rules that allows the refs to allow them to take one last play with 1 second left to end the game? I mean, there is no doubt they get that play off if the ref doesn't lose the football.

Not necessarily that but the ball gets kicked or bounces away a lot of times in that situation. You better be 100 percent sure you're getting in the endzone when you take off on that play.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Exactly. You risk a lot of things happening at that point. The call/decision is the reason they lost.

Yup.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Not necessarily that but the ball gets kicked or bounces away a lot of times in that situation. You better be 100 percent sure you're getting in the endzone when you take off on that play.

It does? Maybe I don't watch enough college football, and I don't, but I don't recall ever seeing a final play of the game being cut short because the ref dropped the football and had to go chase it down.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Would love to hear your arguments for more deserving teams.

I'd love to hear your argument on how a 2-1 team that has a 4 TD loss at home is deserving to be a top 15 team.

But I guess when the media overrates Georgia, that means their 3 point road loss is still strong and South Carolina can jump up 10 spots.

Ole Miss leaping up 4 spots to 10th? Based on beating ULL?

I'd love to hear your argument on how a 2-1 team that has a 4 TD loss at home is deserving to be a top 15 team.

But I guess when the media overrates Georgia, that means their 3 point road loss is still strong and South Carolina can jump up 10 spots.

Ole Miss leaping up 4 spots to 10th? Based on beating ULL?

Rankings before the first of October are dumb anyway. Most teams haven't played anybody good yet so it's really hard to know how good anybody is.

They leaped Georgia, who lost, MSU who did not play and has 1 big loss to a top 1-2 team, and UCLA who continues to look really bad, and USC who lost. Not sure how USCe is much different than MSU, except their resume also includes a win against a then #6 team.

Though funny that you didn't have any alternative teams that should be there.

Who cares about the rankings in the middle of September? Win the games ahead of you, and you'll be where you should be, in the end. That is, of course, unless you're playing nobody and winning.

BYU could be an interesting test case on how strong a non-power conference team's schedule strength needs to be to get into the playoff at 12-0. No games against Top 25 teams, but opponents with current Sagarin ratings of 40, 42, 47, 55, 70 and 76.

Cincinnati plays Ohio State and Miami(FL). Don't know if that is enough juice to qualify them.

Marshall definitely doesn't have the schedule to get in and neither does NIU.

So BYU is the only outsider that might crash the party. Best thing for them (aside from going 12-0) is for Virginia, Texas and Cal to pull some big upsets in conference play.

Anyone not in the Power 5 is going to have a serious uphill battle, to get into the Playoffs. Right or wrong, that is just how it is. They'd have to have some serious OOC wins, over teams from the big conferences. The system, including the stupid early season Polls, are built to accommodate the big conferences.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Anyone not in the Power 5 is going to have a serious uphill battle, to get into the Playoffs. Right or wrong, that is just how it is. They'd have to have some serious OOC wins, over teams from the big conferences. The system, including the stupid early season Polls, are built to accommodate the big conferences.

We're not counting the Big 10 as a power conference, are we?