2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
You're not wrong. I'm super pessimistic to start what seems like every season, especially since the SEC move.

That being said damn, Mizzou stomped Toledo.

Markus Golden, I think we may have something here.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Really obscure officiating question: If you bothered to watch to the very end of the ND-UM game, on the last play, ND intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. However, during the return, ND got a personal foul penalty. The officials ruled that, because "the game can't end on a defensive penalty", ND was penalized 15 yards from the spot and awarded an untimed down from that spot.

So, while it mattered absolutely zero in this situation because of the score, that doesn't really seem like a fair rule in that case. Once ND intercepts the ball, they are really the offensive team and no longer the defensive team. If they committed a penalty during an interception return, it seems like it should just be the end of the game, just like if the offense had committed a penalty on the last play. Maybe these officials just applied the rule incorrectly, but if not, then the rule probably should be changed. It would really suck to lose a game that way.

I don't know the rule but it seems that should be the case. If the ND player would have fumbled and Michigan recovered then it would have been a new set of downs because of a change in possession. That should imply that once the ball is initially turned over the possession changes and I would think the team in possession of the ball would always be considered the offensive team

I don't know the rule but it seems that should be the case. If the ND player would have fumbled and Michigan recovered then it would have been a new set of downs because of a change in possession. That should imply that once the ball is initially turned over the possession changes and I would think the team in possession of the ball would always be considered the offensive team

OK, I asked a HS official that I know and he said that if there is a live-ball penalty during the last play of a period, the period is extended by an untimed down unless the penalty is (a) one that incurs a loss of down, (b) an unsportmanlike conduct penalty or © one that is against a non-player or a player who was not a participant in the play.

Penn State's bowl ban is lifted, they are immediately eligible for postseason play. I doubt it's a coincidence the NCAA announced this right after Ray Rice was cut, perfect timing the conference's other three high profile teams got embarrassed on national TV.
Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Penn State's bowl ban is lifted, they are immediately eligible for postseason play. I doubt it's a coincidence the NCAA announced this right after Ray Rice was cut, perfect timing.

Looks like they got all their scholarships back too.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
During the SDSU game ESPN declared Mizzou as "D-Line University"

If there wasn't enough evidence, 0-star Charles Harris being 2 deep as a RS Frosh and everyone raving about him is going to seal the deal (knock on wood for him performing).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Penn State's bowl ban is lifted, they are immediately eligible for postseason play. I doubt it's a coincidence the NCAA announced this right after Ray Rice was cut, perfect timing.

The announcement was planned for this date 3 months ago.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
East Carolina is absolutely destroying Virginia Tech. Did not expect that.

losing 21-0 is shocking but VT struggling really isnt.

VT always has games against "lesser" teams that they struggle in. It wasnt a mistake that a week after winning at Ohio St, VT was only about a 10 point favorite at home and the line still dropped to about 8.5 this morning.