2014-2015 NFL Football thread

Yeah, from Michael C Wright looks like we will have big interest in Melton, whom is only getting feelers from the cap screwed Cowboys.

I'd feel a lot better about Draft Pick - Ratliff - Melton - Houston...

But the main issue is that is still a 1-deep Dline.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Yeah, from Michael C Wright looks like we will have big interest in Melton, whom is only getting feelers from the cap screwed Cowboys.

I like Paea and Collins in the DT rotation. They provide solid depth. And if we do sign Houston, at 300 lbs, he could easily slide over to DT too.

DE, however, is still very thin. Personally, I'd like to bring back Wootton. He played great for us 2 years ago, and played well last year especially considering he played mostly out of position. He's a team-first guy. I know he had the injury, but I'd like to see him back. I'm not sure he'll even get paid that much. Unfortunately, I see this playing out like Idonije, where it was clearly the wrong move to let him walk for a cheap 1 year deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)

Wootton, or a player on his level financially, might still be a possibility, Bass showed flashes, Trevor Scott keeps finding a job, Washington hopefully surprises, then there's Austen Lane who I, for whatever, have some hope for.....Then you have Paea, Collins, and perhaps a late round run stuffer at DT.

It's far from Seahawks deep, but when you're QB isn't making what Russell Wilson is making, it's almost impossible to get that deep.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
i dont believe Peppers can be merely cut and re-signed. I think he has to be either restructured or let go. Otherwise you would think a lot of teams would pull that stunt in order to lower cap hits

It is essentially the same thing. The reason you re-structure is you still want to retain the player's rights. If you release and then attempt to re-sign, he then has an opportunity to field offers from other teams. If you re-structure, he can't. Definitely is legal under the CBA to release, then re-sign. Happens a lot with borderline 53-man roster players.

@kentsomers

don't know if this has been out there since twitter broke. hearing Dansby to Browns, 4yrs/$24m. $10m year 1, $14m guaranteed.

10 million dollars this year for a 32 year old linebacker. Browns.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
@kentsomers

don't know if this has been out there since twitter broke. hearing Dansby to Browns, 4yrs/$24m. $10m year 1, $14m guaranteed.

They are about to pay Whitner a nice hefty sum as well, and he is also on the wrong side of 30. And thats funnier considering they are allowing the younger, better Ward to walk

Wootton is a DT. He has never done well at DE and has always been a tweener, size/athleticism-wise. He played pretty damn well at DT last year, short of some discipline-related issues that comes with learning a new position. PFF has always shown him to be a piss-poor DE but he rated as one of our best overall defensive players last year once he started playing DT

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
@kentsomers

They could be good this year, but what a bad contract. At least it's a big time thumper in the middle for Pettine's D.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
They are about to pay Whitner a nice hefty sum as well, and he is also on the wrong side of 30. And thats funnier considering they are allowing the younger, better Ward to walk

Not sure what they're doing. Somehow they have managed to get older (and probably worse) through Free Agency. It just doesn't make sense. *Insert whatever joke about it being the Browns*

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 21s

Former Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston reached agreement on a five-year, $35M deal with the Chicago Bears, per league sources.

Boom just like that.

15M guaranteed

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Hahaha. To be fair, he will help shore up the run defense too. That was brutal last year.

He's great against the run but I still expect him to be able to generate a pass rush. I'd like to add another DE (and this draft isn't the place to find one early), which means I'm targeting Ware or Allen or some sort of veteran pass rusher who can generate the process to play opposite him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Not familiar with this guy. Is this a good signing?

Bennett would have been better but he's pretty young and has gotten better each year. He's shorter then a typical end and heavier. Not what i'd call an explosive pass rusher, however, he's great against the run.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
15M guaranteed

That's the key here. $15 isn't too much, especially for a guy as versatile as Houston. He can slide down to DT (likely 3-tech) on passing downs.

And he's the perfect DE for a 3-4, if they ever end up making that move.

DJ Williams signed too.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
So the Bears signed Houston and have yet to cut Peppers?

I presume they will wait until Houston signs (but it will happen in the next day or so). Not like you have to be under the cap yet, just need to be under the cap by a certain date (IIRC).