2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
I know "flags fly forever", but IMO Manning is better without a doubt.

When I compare what guys have done with less weapons, it isn't even close to me. Brady has done so much with heaping piles of dung at times at the receiver position and the only time he ever had elite talent, he put up absurdly good passing numbers. Oh and by the way, he also seems to know how to play in a big game. I'm not saying Peyton isn't great, I just don't think he is near as good as Brady.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
They have started dinking and dunking because Jay has been getting his ass kicked by zone defenses. I don't think Trestman has done a good job at all, but come on now, you think he actually chose to stop moving the ball downfield in large chunks just because? Cutler has thrown so many costly interceptions this season and most of them are due to his bad accuracy within a zone defense, he can't hit his guys in the windows. That's why Jay wants big receivers who can go up and get it, he doesn't have to worry about ball placement.

Beating a zone defense often time takes protection. Dinking and dunking is exactly what a zone defense wants. It is very hard to dink and dunk all the way down the field successfully. Slower developing plays can be huge at busting up a zone, using your QB's feet and the rollout to buy time, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)
This really does make a great case that Jay is a coach killer. If Jay's such a bad fit for what Trestman does, and Jay's such a bad fit for what Martz does, and he's such a bad fit for what Mike Tice does...at the very least it seems incredibly tough to find a coordinator that Jay is a good fit for.

Well any QB is a bad fit for Tice. He's a lousy OC. Martz you need weapons and an oline, which we had none of. Jay was actually a fantastic fit for what Martz wanted to do, we just didn't have the personnel to execute it without getting our QB killed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Was there more to this Cutler trade thing from Michael Wright? Is he just confirming bears COULD trade cutler (and like, ok duh) or that there are rumors they WILL.

What teams would legitimately trade for Jay Cutler? About the only team I can think of that would have any semblance of interest is legitimately Buffalo, and that scares the holy bejesus out of me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Was there more to this Cutler trade thing from Michael Wright? Is he just confirming bears COULD trade cutler (and like, ok duh) or that there are rumors they WILL.

I think the key to the story was that other teams would apparently be interested. I presume St. Louis, Houston, and Tennessee would all be interested.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
What teams would legitimately trade for Jay Cutler? About the only team I can think of that would have any semblance of interest is legitimately Buffalo, and that scares the holy bejesus out of me.

See my other post. I think Tennessee, St. Louis, and Houston would all make sense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
Well any QB is a bad fit for Tice. He's a lousy OC. Martz you need weapons and an oline, which we had none of. Jay was actually a fantastic fit for what Martz wanted to do, we just didn't have the personnel to execute it without getting our QB killed.

I agree. I still hate that they 2011-12 year fell apart. Before Jay's injury that offense was rolling, with our studly WRs of Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett, Roy Williams and Devin hester, and oh, what an offensive line.

I'm not sure this line is considerably better, it may be that we just get ball out faster, but man that season could have been great. Then Caleb Hanie happened.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)

Tennessee has had garbage qbs since McNair. Send him back to Nashville. Homecoming, etc.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Teams like the Titans would kill for a QB like Cutler.

They would kill to get the QB who has the most turnovers in the league? Who is one of the most paid.

I would think they would rather just draft one.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
They would kill to get the QB who has the most turnovers in the league? Who is one of the most paid.

I would have thought so, but I don't understand what that organization does. I feel like they are striving to be the best 7-9 team in the world.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)

And have another Jake Locker situation?

We went through a QB carousel for almost 2 decades before Cutler came to Chicago and it sucked hard.

It sucks hard to see him underachieve for most of his tenure here, but at least you have some certainty at the most important position on the field. Not having a stable QB is one of the worst things you can have in the NFL right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)

We went through a QB carousel for almost 2 decades before Cutler came to Chicago and it sucked hard.

It sucks hard to see him underachieve for most of his tenure here, but at least you have some certainty at the most important position on the field. Not having a stable QB is one of the worst things you can have in the NFL right now.

Jake Locker, Jay Cutler. Either way you aren't winning. Cutler may get you to .500 a couple times, but that's about it. Plus he makes a ton more.

Better off drafting a young QB and if that doesn't work out, you draft another one.

Right now the Titans are drafting 5th. There is a good chance they move up and the couple teams ahead of them probably aren't taking qb's. Good chance to get Mariota. I'd take that to over paying Cutler 17 million to get 6 or 7 wins.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)

He's consistently terrible. You're not winning with him. So why continue to delay the inevitable?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Jake Locker, Jay Cutler. Either way you aren't winning. Cutler may get you to .500 a couple times, but that's about it. Plus he makes a ton more.

Better off drafting a young QB and if that doesn't work out, you draft another one.

Right now the Titans are drafting 5th. There is a good chance they move up and the couple teams ahead of them probably aren't taking qb's. Good chance to get Mariota. I'd take that to over paying Cutler 17 million to get 6 or 7 wins.

You put Cutler on the Rams and I think that is a team that does something. Fisher is the type of personality that isn't going to cater to Jay either. They will unleash him from time to time but still run the ball, etc, and really take advantage of Jay's big arm on play action and roll-outs vs. having him drop back 40-50 times. With that defense, no reason that can't work. Same with a team like Houston. Drafting a young QB when you have elite defenses now doesn't necessarily make sense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
You put Cutler on the Rams and I think that is a team that does something. Fisher is the type of personality that isn't going to cater to Jay either. They will unleash him from time to time but still run the ball, etc, and really take advantage of Jay's big arm on play action and roll-outs vs. having him drop back 40-50 times. With that defense, no reason that can't work. Same with a team like Houston. Drafting a young QB when you have elite defenses now doesn't necessarily make sense.

Cutler is going to have to be on a team with an amazing defense. The way he turns the ball over, you have to be able make up for that.

I don't know if teams like St. Louis and Houston can bring in Cutler and that contract and still keep all their defensive players. They might get a one or two year window.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)

But it "seems" like you can win with him.

Also, for the record, I don't think any team trading for Cutler is a good move for that team.

BUT, it seems to have been established that there is in fact interest in Cutler. So who are those teams?

My main guess would be Tennessee because:

- They have had no good QBs for years and years

- They have a coach who seems to want to use veterans who suck over youth (see Sankey, Bishop behind Shonn Greene)

- Their organization seems to be very stupid and boring and trading for Cutler seems like the spicy and stupid move that would make them feel productive.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Also, for the record, I don't think any team trading for Cutler is a good move for that team.

BUT, it seems to have been established that there is in fact interest in Cutler. So who are those teams?

- They have a coach who seems to want to use veterans who suck over youth (see Sankey, Bishop behind Shonn Greene)

- Their organization seems to be very stupid and boring and trading for Cutler seems like the spicy and stupid move that would make them feel productive.

Re: Sankey, it could also be that they want to save his legs a little bit for when the team is competitive while also working on his footwork a little better and perhaps having him watch on the sideline. I think it used to be that running backs could play right away and wide outs needed a year on the sideline to learn the offense, terminology, and route trees, but the more the college game has gone toward pro style offenses with relatively basic defenses, the more these receivers already know the offense and the running backs need help learning play calls and blitz pickups.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
He's consistently terrible. You're not winning with him. So why continue to delay the inevitable?

Oh please, you really want Chad Hutchinson as your QB again?

As much as I want an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson at QB, those guys are hard to find.

There is no way the coach would jeopardize winning during his time to save their 2nd round pick for later in their career. Their offense is terrible. He was performing better than Greene.

My point is basically there is no benefit to having him sit to anyone except their GM and I still don't buy it because why would you delay knowing what you have in your new RB?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)

He also likes Tennessee and Nashville area. It was long talked about if Chicago went another way that Jay would have likely went there as a FA. They love him from his Vandy days there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Oh please, you really want Chad Hutchinson as your QB again?

As much as I want an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson at QB, those guys are hard to find.

How much better is Cutler, honestly? A win? Three?

But you've hit the main problem. Without a franchise quality QB you're not winning in this league. That's step #1. As we've seen, you can have offensive weapons all over the field and it's not gonna mean dick if your QB sucks.