2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to those of you with PFF, Jake I'm looking your way, how has the WRs ranked as blockers this year? I believe they keep track of that yes?

I think one of the main components that seems to be different from last year to this has been last year those little short passes would turn into more because our WR/TEs were up in front blocking, but now though it seems like those are consistently not working.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Curious to those of you with PFF, Jake I'm looking your way, how has the WRs ranked as blockers this year? I believe they keep track of that yes?

I think one of the main components that seems to be different from last year to this has been last year those little short passes would turn into more because our WR/TEs were up in front blocking, but now though it seems like those are consistently not working.

2014 - Marshall - Pass block 0.5 / Run block 5.3 / Screen 1.0

2013 - Marshall - Pass block 0.0 / Run block 13.0 / Screen 5.0

2014 - Jeffery - Pass block -0.5 / Run block 2.4 / Screen 0.5

2013 - Jeffery - Pass block 0.0 / Run block 3.2 / Screen 0.5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Mel Tucker had a wonderful press conference full of quotes yesterday. Everything is great people. The people at halas hall are the answer

To be honest, I actually respected the way he answered the questions. Much more so then almost everyone else at Halas has addressed things. He talked about how he has hundreds of things he'd do different and better, etc. I don't think Tucker is a good coach but I can at least commend him for how he handled things, which is something I can't say about a lot of the other guys at Halas, including our QB who talks about great practices.

I think Gannon had the best quotes of anyone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
To be honest, I actually respected the way he answered the questions. Much more so then almost everyone else at Halas has addressed things. He talked about how he has hundreds of things he'd do different and better, etc. I don't think Tucker is a good coach but I can at least commend him for how he handled things, which is something I can't say about a lot of the other guys at Halas, including our QB who talks about great practices.

I think Gannon had the best quotes of anyone.

I heard the same things that i heard from trestman, just hollow answers to pretty specific questions. The Score just played a tape of Hub asking why nothing is working and it was just painful to hear him try and talk around it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I heard the same things that i heard from trestman, just hollow answers to pretty specific questions. The Score just played a tape of Hub asking why nothing is working and it was just painful to hear him try and talk around it.

I get why people are not happy with the answers, but we all know the real answer is either (1) I suck at my job, or (2) my players suck, and my GM sucks for giving me this crap to work with.

Not really sure what Bears fans expect these guys to say. Totally bash their players and bosses? Sounds like a ticket to losing the team and getting fired immediately.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

I felt that he was more about the point that we hadn't done enough. To some extent you have to say we have to go back and do what we do in-house if you are him. He can't control personell and those items. What will be more interesting is when we start seeing legitimate lineup changes and guys actually cut.

Remember, Emery hired Tucker. Look at how impressive this list of accolades is:

"Fired after just one season for coaching the 26th ranked Defense as DC with Cleveland Browns

-- That defense only accumulated 17 total sacks - 31st in NFL

-- Went on to Jaguars where his defenses were ranked 23rd, 28th, 6th and 30th in yardage

-- His Jaguar teams gave up on average 25 PPG while averaging just 18 sacks per year

-- Was hired by Phil Emery / Trestman in an act of desperation when Rod Marinelli took a demotion just to get away from them

-- Worst Rushing defense in history of the Bears - 2013

-- Worst overall defense in history of the Bears yardage - 2013

-- Worst scoring defense in history of the Bears - 2013

-- Most points allowed in a half ever by a Bears team -2014

-- Most points allowed over a 2 game stretch by any team in NFL in 91 years - 2014

-- Most TD's allowed in a half in Bears history - 2014

-- Most games with 50 or more points allowed by any DC in NFL history - 3 (2013, 2014)

-- Worst PPG average for any defense in Bears history - 30.8 PPG - worse than the historically bad 29.9 (2013)

-- Highest QB rating for opposing QB's over 2 game stretch in NFL (151.2) Brady and Rogers

-- Has been responsible for coaching only ONE defensive player to get to the NFL Pro-bowl (Tim Jennings 2013)

-- His defense allowed 4th down, last minute TD to the rival Packers to clinch playoffs and eliminate Bears

-- Lowest team sack average for a DC over 6 seasons (since sacks became an official stat) - 19

-- Most TD's allowed over a 2 game stretch in history of the Bears - 12

-- Highest aggregate opponent QB rating for a season in history of team (currently 107.3)

-- Most points allowed in a season (2013)

-- Turned 2 HOF candidate RDE's into garbage (Allen and Peppers)

-- Largest PPG ranking swing in history of team (went from 3rd in NFL to 31st)

-- Lowest blitz per pass play percentage in the NFL

-- D has forced rival Packers to punt exactly 1 time in 2 full games while Rogers is under center.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:00 AM)
Remember, Emery hired Tucker. Look at how impressive this list of accolades is:

"Fired after just one season for coaching the 26th ranked Defense as DC with Cleveland Browns

-- That defense only accumulated 17 total sacks - 31st in NFL

-- Went on to Jaguars where his defenses were ranked 23rd, 28th, 6th and 30th in yardage

-- His Jaguar teams gave up on average 25 PPG while averaging just 18 sacks per year

-- Was hired by Phil Emery / Trestman in an act of desperation when Rod Marinelli took a demotion just to get away from them

-- Worst Rushing defense in history of the Bears - 2013

-- Worst overall defense in history of the Bears yardage - 2013

-- Worst scoring defense in history of the Bears - 2013

-- Most points allowed in a half ever by a Bears team -2014

-- Most points allowed over a 2 game stretch by any team in NFL in 91 years - 2014

-- Most TD's allowed in a half in Bears history - 2014

-- Most games with 50 or more points allowed by any DC in NFL history - 3 (2013, 2014)

-- Worst PPG average for any defense in Bears history - 30.8 PPG - worse than the historically bad 29.9 (2013)

-- Highest QB rating for opposing QB's over 2 game stretch in NFL (151.2) Brady and Rogers

-- Has been responsible for coaching only ONE defensive player to get to the NFL Pro-bowl (Tim Jennings 2013)

-- His defense allowed 4th down, last minute TD to the rival Packers to clinch playoffs and eliminate Bears

-- Lowest team sack average for a DC over 6 seasons (since sacks became an official stat) - 19

-- Most TD's allowed over a 2 game stretch in history of the Bears - 12

-- Highest aggregate opponent QB rating for a season in history of team (currently 107.3)

-- Most points allowed in a season (2013)

-- Turned 2 HOF candidate RDE's into garbage (Allen and Peppers)

-- Largest PPG ranking swing in history of team (went from 3rd in NFL to 31st)

-- Lowest blitz per pass play percentage in the NFL

-- D has forced rival Packers to punt exactly 1 time in 2 full games while Rogers is under center.

You're being really selective with statistics to make him look bad.

Why didn't you include some of these statistics?

-- 6th cheapest defense in the league saves the Bears money so it can afford some weapons for Cutler, who has none

-- #1 ranked practice defense in NFL for two years in a row

-- Defense broke Aaron Rodgers' clavicle more times than any other defense in NFL history

Keep pushing your agenda

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)

-- 6th cheapest defense in the league saves the Bears money so it can afford some weapons for Cutler, who has none

-- Defense broke Aaron Rodgers' clavicle more times than any other defense in NFL history

Keep pushing your agenda

I did say something nice, I showed that one year with Jackonsville he ranked 6th in the league. He really is terrible. I'm not saying Emery isn't either for giving him what they have to work with. But what is happening, is basic mistakes. Basic. And while there might be some selective statistics, when you look at the overall D ranks, overall scoring ranks, etc...there is no arguing it is downright bad.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Remember the Atlanta game when we thought the Bears turned a corner... RIP 2014.

Haha, I was thinking about when I listend to the first half of the dolphins game thinking the Bears still had to win a game. Oh how long ago that feels now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
so how does this year's draft class look?

Better then our past draft classes. Fuller and the tackles look promising and Karey doesn't look bad either. Still early but after the last two draft classes, where we missed on a heck of a lot of picks, this one seems to have more potential. We also have a shot with Vereen too. I think back to a year ago and while Mills was a nice value where we got him and Long was nice, we really whiffed everywhere else (although Wilson has a shot to redeem himself as well). The biggest thing was how badly we missed at the LB position.

I think the other elephant in the room has been how poorly we have evaluated free agents and our current players as well.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)

Keep pushing your agenda

On a sidenote, I didn't actually spend the time to pull that. I found it elsewhere and found it interesting. My only agenda is that this franchise needs to head a new direction. That is it. I want the Bears to win and I am convinced they won't do it with the current regime. I am not calling for coordinators to be scapegoated, I'm calling for top to bottom changes and a total clean-house. If you go through my posting history, I am probably one of the least overreactionary posters on this site but have been probably the most negative about the Bears for a while. Probably more negative about Emery then most, more negative about Trestman than most, and probably the first on here to really have my agenda against the DC and ST coach. My biggest agenda is with our ST coach cause what we have done there is just inexcuseable.

Only thing I can give Emery credit for is his success in 1st round. 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Fuller / Long are solid). Personally I want us to focus on the lines. I think football is won with your lines and while our LB's suck and we need more talent there, I would be looking an impact end and probably an OT / OG for the oline. I think DT we have the two young guys and maybe make a run at Suh, although that is a tough decision to make given the cap space we have going to our offense and QB. Might not make sense but I think we should be accumulating pass rushers to the extent we can and trying to have as great of an oline as possible.

Clearly we also have mega needs at Safety / CB / LB as well though. If an impact LT was on the board though I would have a hard time ignoring it or the DE because it would appear harder to find those guys later in a draft when compared to the other positions.