2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Maybe he actually needs to call Cutler out publicly. Maybe, just maybe, he needs to bench Cutler so he gets the message.

I am okay with that, but lets not act like those two audibles make the difference either. I was screaming to play Claussen. See if our offensive issues are a QB problem. I think there are a lot of problems and I don't believe Jay to be the guy and don't want him. I also emphatically know that Trestman isn't the guy. Our offense is beyond horrible, is overly simple and well I won't even talk about our defense or special teams as I've consistently badgered that since last year.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
I think firing Trestman makes most sense right now. Move Kromer in to interim head coach and go from there. See if that puts things in the right direction or not. At this point, how can anyone look at it and go, yes, it makes sense to have him as a coach. It is more then just the results on the field, it is how everything is being ran, etc.

When I was thinking about this, I totally agree. It makes a lot more sense to fire Trestman than even a coordinator. And if you don't want to fire a coordinator, how about re-assigning duties. Make Tucker a LB coach, put DeCamillis in charge of keeping the Gatorade bucket full.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
First back-to-back 50+ point defensive efforts in the NFL in over 70 years, yet no coaching changes made. I shouldn't have expected anything different from the McCaskeys.

The smart fan thing to do would be to boycott the next few home games, but all the tickets are already paid for, might as well show up. (Maybe with a paper bag on my head)

To be honest, the real thing that matters is what happens in the off-season. That is when the big decisions will have to start being made (or at least I hope they are made). If we fire people now, great, at least I know we'll have wholesale changes in the off-season, but what I can't put up with is if we go into this off-season and somehow people make excuses and we stick with this regime. With the offensive production we have seen, your offensive minded head coach doesn't get the luxury of hiring a new DC. If our offense was top 10 in the league and looking up and it was just our defense and ST that stunk, I could get behind that, but we are a complete disaster in all 3 phases and that is with some talent still on the field, especially on the offensive side. There is zero reason the offense should be this bad, NONE.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
First back-to-back 50+ point defensive efforts in the NFL in over 70 years, yet no coaching changes made. I shouldn't have expected anything different from the McCaskeys.

The smart fan thing to do would be to boycott the next few home games, but all the tickets are already paid for, might as well show up. (Maybe with a paper bag on my head)

With the cold air that is supposed to stay in Chicago the rest of the month and the Bears playing 5 of their next 6 at home, people who normally don't go to games, I am sure can find a bargain.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
When I was thinking about this, I totally agree. It makes a lot more sense to fire Trestman than even a coordinator. And if you don't want to fire a coordinator, how about re-assigning duties. Make Tucker a LB coach, put DeCamillis in charge of keeping the Gatorade bucket full.

He'd be pouring that s*** all over the place without any cups around.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)

I figure at the very least, if you think players aren't playing and this is a major issue, you need to change who is giving the message so we can evaluate the personnel that Emery put in place as well. Firing Tucker won't solve anything (and don't get me wrong, I think he's bad) but doing it in season isn't a major item (hard to change schemes mid-season). And I realize lately I've clung to a lot of quotes / comments but it just shows me that Trestman is better off running a company then he is an NFL team. It is an entirely different dynamic to an extent and I also think the Bears as a whole (GM / HC) are kind of ignorant of the actual results.

I'm tired of hearing we tried, I want to at least see changes, etc and urgency. Note, that doesn't mean throwing stuff, etc, but how many weeks in a row do I need to hear about good practices. I haven't heard about one bad practice yet or so it seems (only heard that after we won or something). I prefer the Thibbs schtick...all of our practices stink...always keep players on their toes, etc. You need to always be working to be better cause everyone else is all the time.

I think the biggest failures and why I don't want Marc to stick around long term is his inability to control the roster / clubhouse and what would appear to be a massive inability of his offense to be sustainable. It would appear that what we do is way too simplest and with a year of footage, we got nothing else to do. What worked in the mid 90's doesn't work today. More footage, faster d's, etc. You got to always be a few steps ahead and evolving and my belief is that has passed us up and we are really working at a disadvantage every week cause the other team is far better prepared for us than we are for them.

This does not abolish players either but I continue to say Harbaugh makes sense. Anyone know whether the front office liked Jim during his playing days in Chicago?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
To be honest, the real thing that matters is what happens in the off-season. That is when the big decisions will have to start being made (or at least I hope they are made). If we fire people now, great, at least I know we'll have wholesale changes in the off-season, but what I can't put up with is if we go into this off-season and somehow people make excuses and we stick with this regime. With the offensive production we have seen, your offensive minded head coach doesn't get the luxury of hiring a new DC. If our offense was top 10 in the league and looking up and it was just our defense and ST that stunk, I could get behind that, but we are a complete disaster in all 3 phases and that is with some talent still on the field, especially on the offensive side. There is zero reason the offense should be this bad, NONE.

I agree about the offense. We knew the defense might stink, but this offense really shined last year and with the offensive "genius", it was supposed to carry the team. There was a graphic last night that showed the Bears are the only teams with 4+ offensive Pro Bowls with less than 10 years in the league (or something like that). Yet they scored 0 points in the 1st half yesterday, 7 points in the 1st half vs. New England, and so on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
He'd be pouring that s*** all over the place without any cups around.

Seriously...I realize Williams had the garbage time TD return but his average was still below 30 despite ~100 YD return. How many times do we need to take it out from the back of the endzone. First drive was just an epitome of how bad our special teams is and what a poor position it puts our team in. STart game inside our 10 because we try to run it out 8 yards deep and not only get to about the 15 (if that) we end up with a penalty and we start on offense on the road inside our own 10 (at about the 5). Then after we finish the drive (think we got two first downs before having to punt), we end up being in a spot where we should be able to turn field position, but instead we have a lousy punt and GB gets the ball at like the 35 or 40. So we give up about 15 to 20 yards to star our possession and then give GB about the same amount back (from where a good ST unit would have put them). Between the two that is a ton of yards in an era where the margin between winning and losing (unless you are this bears team) is extremely narrow on most Sundays.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Maybe he actually needs to call Cutler out publicly. Maybe, just maybe, he needs to bench Cutler so he gets the message.

Lol, what message? Cutler is what he is, a grossly overpaid mediocre QB.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
This sums it up about right.

David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh 6s6 seconds ago

That Trestman press conference was the oral equivalent of getting beaten 55-14. Unaware. Unprepared. Oblivious. Bears in real trouble.

I usually hate the media and blowhard bear fans, but right now, I want them out in loud force to dry and make it more then clear that change has to happen at season end.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
I usually hate the media and blowhard bear fans, but right now, I want them out in loud force to dry and make it more then clear that change has to happen at season end.

It's unfortunate these last 5 games will still have a packed house and they'll still be showed in bars,pubs,at home, etc. This team deserves a complete boycott. They're feeding their fans this fluff crap and any thinking Bears fan doesn't deserve that.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
It's unfortunate these last 5 games will still have a packed house and they'll still be showed in bars,pubs,at home, etc. This team deserves a complete boycott. They're feeding their fans this fluff crap and any thinking Bears fan doesn't deserve that.

I thought after this last debacle, even the Bears would have done something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Since Lovie's demise and the Bears bringing in the QB whisperer, who had to get approved by Cutler to get hired: Cutler 8-12 as a starter.

Lovie's biggest problem with Cutler was he couldn't get the QB to stay on the field. Cutler's winning percentage under Lovie was actually pretty good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I thought after this last debacle, even the Bears would have done something.

No accountability in this organization and right now they're showing that they're bottom of the barrel, as much as it sucks to say it.

#Bears coach Marc Trestman says Jay Cutler has to play better & mistakes he's making in games r not happening in practice.

Is it as simple as saying that even our defense makes our offense look good? Haha. We clearly are practicing perfect but when we play in the real world none of our phases do anything perfect.

Last two games...Brady and Rodgers, 14 incompletions, 11 TD's. Pretty sure Tannehill didn't have many either (incompletions).

Also, if I were to try my hardest to find any excuse for the offenses production it would be the fact that they know with this defense, if they don't score every position they are pretty much toast...thus when they have a bad drive or two early, they get really tight, play even worse, and it just spirals out of control from there cause we are already down massively.

Again...that is me finding my hardest to be some sort of optimist since the reality is we are going to be stuck with some of these offensive personell next year, even with a new coach. Although I would think we would at least be targeting QB if one our new HC / GM liked were to be available.

The D in the first half was just abysmal. It was like they had never seen a go route in their life. How do you only have a single high safety and then your corners play zone coverage in the flats. Those are high school mistakes. Seriously, Nelson couldn't have been more open on his two touchdowns.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
The D in the first half was just abysmal. It was like they had never seen a go route in their life. How do you only have a single high safety and then your corners play zone coverage in the flats. Those are high school mistakes. Seriously, Nelson couldn't have been more open on his two touchdowns.

Tim Jennings said the entire game was nothing but confusion. A statement like that should get someone fired

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)

They were in man coverage with a single safety and then Rodgers switched the route to something designed to beat man coverage. Briggs tried to change to zone coverage and Conte stayed in man. From what I understand, Conte should have dropped into zone so that Vereen wasn't coming from the middle of the field.

This has happened before against Green Bay and it happened twice last night.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
They were in man coverage with a single safety and then Rodgers switched the route to something designed to beat man coverage. Briggs tried to change to zone coverage and Conte stayed in man. From what I understand, Conte should have dropped into zone so that Vereen wasn't coming from the middle of the field.

This has happened before against Green Bay and it happened twice last night.

In conclusion, it's Conte's fault.