2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
I heard they are playing against a lot more zone and can't figure it out.

I think it is more because it relies on Cutler needing to be precise. And cutler really isn't all that accurate to begin with, which is why he is a "throw it up and get it" QB

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I heard they are playing against a lot more zone and can't figure it out.

Probably because beating a zone requires more smarts but also typically longer develop plays and plays that work against zone coverage. My presumption is we don't have a lot of plays in our arsenal that work on it since the bulk of the offense is get the ball out of our QB's hand near instantly and chew up short yardage. Zone D's will snuff that out and make you go the distance. To beat the zone, you need to hit on slower developing plays that open up deeper issues in the zone, etc, or find nuggets in the more intermediate passing lanes (depending on the types of zone coverages as there are always weak spots), however, we seem to struggle in being able to do anything close to it.

The fact that 6 weeks later and we still haven't adjusted tells me everything I need to know about our offensive genius calling the shots.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
I think it has a lot more to do with the league figuring Trestman and this offense out. It is entirely too simple and too predictable and opposing defenses know exactly what is coming. I think a lot of our offensive problems are scheme. I also think Jay is just not cut out to be an elite QB but this scheme doesn't exactly do him favors. It essentially plays up his weaknesses and when you watch our offense more and more you see that the vast majority of the plays are set from the start (on where ball is going, etc). That doesn't play well into the strength of a QB who can buy time and make big plays with his feet and arm. Right now we really don't allow our offense to break down opposition defenses. We also really miss having a receiver who has speed who can create seperation and stretch the seams.

Jay and his fumbles are to be frank, probably his biggest problem. His picks really haven't been that bad, especially when you adjust for some of those throws where the wideouts were awful. This stuff is a total team collapse though but the biggest reason I want Trestman out (in addition to his inability to be an overall leader of this team) is the fact that we seem to be getting pantsed on our offensive scheme and everyone appears to know what is coming, etc. That is an awful sign when you are supposed to be an offensive guru.

Having plays that don't require reads is playing to Jay's strength (or, put better, playing away from his weaknesses). He has the huge limitation of constantly locking onto a receiver pre-snap and not knowing how to find anyone else. If a scheme is giving him a clearer pre-snap read, it's probably better.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Having plays that don't require reads is playing to Jay's strength (or, put better, playing away from his weaknesses). He has the huge limitation of constantly locking onto a receiver pre-snap and not knowing how to find anyone else. If a scheme is giving him a clearer pre-snap read, it's probably better.

If the play is off in a second or two, you are not playing downfield which is Jay's biggest strength. You are minimizing his arm and focusing on short-term accuracy. He is pretty accurate down the field (compared to other players) but when it comes to short throws, that is not his strength. I do not think this offense is currently playing into his strengths. We see no use of his mobility and minimal downfield plays.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
In conclusion, it's Conte's fault.

Here is the all-22 snapshot of what I was describing. Kevin Fishbain broke it down on chicagofootball.com

Conte is circled in between the linebackers, confused on which coverage he should be on. And Vereen, on an island, waiting for Jordy to juke him

image.jpg

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Speculation about Mike Shanahan to the Bears has already started. It will cost you roughly $38 million to dump Cutler. I would imagine that he will still be here. Shanahan is a name that we will be hearing more about I'm sure.

Shanahan's offense is more or less the only offense Cutler had success running.

At this rate, you can't just ditch Cutler. He's owed too much money. You're stuck with him. But you're not stuck with this coaching staff. So you might as well put him in a environment he succeeded in before and see what happens.

Shanahan's also an experienced coach with a relatively good history, so I don't think it's the worst thing that can happen.

Edited by chw42

IMO, what the Bears need to do is hire Bill Pollian as a consultant or interm President, and have him evaluate the football operation from Emery to Trestman to all the coaches. Have him clean house if the entire house needs to be cleaned and put the people in place to be successful.

Ted Phillips, God love him, is an accountant. Let him handle the business side. The football side needs to be handled by a football person. Enough of the BS.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
Shanahan would be interesting. I kind of hope he would try and keep Kromer on as asst OC/line coach. That's pretty much all I would ask for.

Whomever comes in, can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. The way I see it, bring in who you want and who you trust. I'm sick of this. Emery is basically the grand puppet in all of this and seems to be missing on a lot of blame. He's the clown who hired Trestman and also the guy who ultimately hired all of the assistants pretty much. Bottom line, he's as much if not more a fault to this disaster then Trestman.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
IMO, what the Bears need to do is hire Bill Pollian as a consultant or interm President, and have him evaluate the football operation from Emery to Trestman to all the coaches. Have him clean house if the entire house needs to be cleaned and put the people in place to be successful.

Ted Phillips, God love him, is an accountant. Let him handle the business side. The football side needs to be handled by a football person. Enough of the BS.

Completely agree. That said, as a CPA, Phillips is my hero.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)

That would be a great move.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
They barely made the playoffs in a terrible division.

They could have gone farther but Mike Shanahan decided he was going to single-handedly murder his quarterback.

Actually...a guy who single-handedly murdered his starting quarterback could actually fit the Bears fairly well now that I think about it...

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
They barely made the playoffs in a terrible division.

They won their last 7 games that year and before RG3 killed his knee, they were beating a pretty good Seattle team.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Cliff Stein should be your hero.

Ted Phillips main accomplishment is getting Soldier Field renovated which seems like a failure to me.

I'm more referring to a CPA running a professional sports franchise. Doesn't happen very often or at least I don't think it does.