2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Briggs has been too busy telling everyone during the bye week (indirectly) how bad this coaching staff is compared to Lovie.

Briggs & Urlacher were great on the field for the Bears, but they are both such divas off the field.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't think it is symbolic to fire Tucker or Decamillis right now. They are both not doing their jobs, and it is quite alarming how bad it has become. Those are two coordinAtors in way over their heads and losing them right now won't hurt one bit

That being said, I absolutely did not expect to hear Trestman put his coordinators and assistants on blast, it isn't in his nature. He is like Jauron, he is gonna go down with the Shoop

This isn't an indicator of a bad coach. Coaches don't do that to their assistants.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
This isn't an indicator of a bad coach. Coaches don't do that to their assistants.

I would agree, at least most of the time. What if the Bears said an assistant or 2 has to go now, and if you balk, you will be heading out the door with them? I just don't think Trestman has the status to even try to bluff falling on the sword for his assistants. Maybe he would do it anyway, but something has to happen at Halas Hall.

I would guess there is a chance Trestman doesn't get canned because he has 2 years on his deal, but is there any way Tucker and DeCammillis are Bears coordinators in 2015? I would think zero chance, so why not make a statement now? This season is over. 1 team in NFL history has make the playoffs starting out 3-6.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)

Reminds me of the game in Detroit last season. Tucker wanted to keep it simple, so he kept all the play calls the same as the year before. Of course, Izzy Idonije was on the Lions, let the offense know the signals, and they just cruised.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Reminds me of the game in Detroit last season. Tucker wanted to keep it simple, so he kept all the play calls the same as the year before. Of course, Izzy Idonije was on the Lions, let the offense know the signals, and they just cruised.

Tucker should of been let go when plane landed. Trestman acts like nothing is wrong with his staff at the news conference.

Man, these are some dark days. I was laughing last night, but the Bears are far from being a playoff team. They don't have a lot of picks, again. They'll go in with what, 6? Worst part is I don't see the obvious coaching jumps this year. Every successful team is pretty young into their coaches careers.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 9m9 minutes ago

.@PatrickMannelly says sometimes Trestman would say "good practice" last yr & he'd look up & think "No it wasn't. Why are you lying?" Hmmm.

Yeah well I keep hearing the players talk about all of these practices and it seems to be a total joke. Literally it appears there has been zero self reflection and difficult conversations / adjustments that have been made. This team has been lost and our coaching staff is an utter disaster (let alone players and GM).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
I would agree, at least most of the time. What if the Bears said an assistant or 2 has to go now, and if you balk, you will be heading out the door with them? I just don't think Trestman has the status to even try to bluff falling on the sword for his assistants. Maybe he would do it anyway, but something has to happen at Halas Hall.

I would guess there is a chance Trestman doesn't get canned because he has 2 years on his deal, but is there any way Tucker and DeCammillis are Bears coordinators in 2015? I would think zero chance, so why not make a statement now? This season is over. 1 team in NFL history has make the playoffs starting out 3-6.

He didn't even hire Tucker (supposedly that was Emery's guy same with Joey D). I think the problem is Trestman is too much of a yes / try to please person that he can't have the difficult conversations, make the difficult changes (both in-house with his coaching staff and in-house with players and personnel decisions).

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Man, these are some dark days. I was laughing last night, but the Bears are far from being a playoff team. They don't have a lot of picks, again. They'll go in with what, 6? Worst part is I don't see the obvious coaching jumps this year. Every successful team is pretty young into their coaches careers.

Gotta hope Gruden or Cowher wants to jump back in. They didn't two years ago, so not sure they would now. And they'd probably want some personnel control, and Emery isn't giving that up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Gotta hope Gruden or Cowher wants to jump back in. They didn't two years ago, so not sure they would now. And they'd probably want some personnel control, and Emery isn't giving that up.

Emery isn't here in any scenario. I like Phil Emery personally. I think he tried to put together an organization on the same page, top down, like we've seen work. But he didn't do it. It's his 3rd year, is the team better? No. Did his decisions to stopgap the talent before a full rebuild result in playoffs? No. Has the team regressed every year? Yes.

So, he brought in talent. Talent didn't win. Handpicked coach didn't win. And he should get another shot? No way.

Urlacher tweeted last night that the players shouldn't have been in late in the game. I found that humorous. This coming from the same guy that defends Lovie endlessly. The same Lovie Smith who allowed Urlacher to play in a meaningless week 17 game against Minnesota a few years ago to chase an 8-8 record. On that final play, Brian Urlacher tore ligaments in his knee. Brian Urlacher was never the same player again. I think Urlacher is the best LB in franchise history. He is a very stupid human though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)

I wouldn't mind Cowher but I'm not so hot on Gruden. He never really got back to the super bowl level after being handed a SB ready team and beating his old team(that he knew inside and out)

After that season, it was kind of a mess, and he had all kinds of personnel control.

I have no interest in Cowher or Gruden. I love Gruden in his role now - he cracks me up - but after hearing his thoughts for the last several years, I'm not real excited to have him as my head coach.

I really believe Emery tried to outsmart everyone with the Trestman hire, and while it was an interesting hire, I think it shows just how important leadership skills are as opposed to just x's and o's. Some guys have one or the other, few guys have both. I think Trestman falls in the former category, unfortunately.

Moving forward, I don't even know what you do. I want them to go for another cerebral type guy, but I'm afraid they'll overreact and go all meathead on us.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)

How many times do I have to say who cares. He is just a big a part of this mess. The answer is real simple...wholesale organizational changes. First bring in the GM, then the head coach...and to be frank, first bring in a president as they could decide they want to go after someone like Harbaugh but it all needs to start from the very top of this organization and move on down. I'm not saying fire Phillips, I'm just saying put him in charge of the non football leadership side of the house.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
I have no interest in Cowher or Gruden. I love Gruden in his role now - he cracks me up - but after hearing his thoughts for the last several years, I'm not real excited to have him as my head coach.

I really believe Emery tried to outsmart everyone with the Trestman hire, and while it was an interesting hire, I think it shows just how important leadership skills are as opposed to just x's and o's. Some guys have one or the other, few guys have both. I think Trestman falls in the former category, unfortunately.

Moving forward, I don't even know what you do. I want them to go for another cerebral type guy, but I'm afraid they'll overreact and go all meathead on us.

I said it again, but it isn't just a head coach. Organization has to make wholesale changes in its entirety, imo. I also will continue to say bring in a good president with football know-how. See who he wants but if he wants Harbaugh you go do it and bring in the right scouting, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
@danpompei: That was a stunningly poor performance by the Bears, perhaps the most dysfunctional team I ever have seen in 30 years covering the league.

The bright side is, as poorly coaches as I happen to think we are, maybe someone comes in this off-season and totally surprises us. Yeah, doubt it happens but as long as I get new people in charge I'll be happy for the time being. At least then I'll have some potential in my head cause right now I see none with the current crew.