2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
It's being reported that Ballard has been offered the job and is likely to accept.

Good thing they paid Accorsi to do his thing

"Accorsi, would you be interested in taking a bunch of money to confirm our bias? You would! Oh thank goodness"

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
Ballard / Toub a very possible GM / coach duo for the Bears according to Jeremy Stoltz on twitter.

So what changed, two years ago when George and ted were hiring guys they passed on both when they were employees.

What am I missing here?

Both guys were let go only to hire them back and both will they both come cheap.

Remember when Wanny was the rock star hire.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
So what changed, two years ago when George and ted were hiring guys they passed on both when they were employees.

What am I missing here?

Both guys were let go only to hire them back and both will they both come cheap.

You are missing nothing both these guy have already been part of the what has been the problem the last 25 years. SOS Ted stays president and George plays the role of the dumbass McCaskey. If Ballard was such a rock star why after 12 years with the Bears was he never promoted? Ballard/Toub combo will keep the tradition of losing alive and well.

Edited by Soxfest

I'm not going to go all soxfest and complain that the Bears are going to continue on their losing ways like they did in the last 12 years, because in reality while Lovies tenure never got a super bowl trophy he did have a pretty successful run with a few pretty competitive teams.

But I am pissed that they barely interviewed anyone. I was expecting Ballard after a charade of candidates coming through, not him being offered before anyone else gets talked to. That's total bulls***. You have to interview many people because sometimes you will be surprised and find a candidate you didn't expect.

I have heard that Toub is head coach material though, he is very well respected around the league

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
I have heard that Toub is head coach material though, he is very well respected around the league

Yeah, Toub could actually be a pretty good hire. Could flop too, but that's the chance you take with anyone.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)

What am I missing here?

Lets be clear about one thing, neither Toub / Ballard were let go. They went on to other pastures on their own accord. Toub has been the most respected ST coach in the league for years. The jump from ST coach to NFL HC can be tough. In Ballard's case, he's the guy turning down interviews with other teams, probably because he prefers the job with an ownership group he has worked for in the past so he has a better idea of what to expect (vs. the unknown of some of the other organizations).

Not to mention, in Philly, Kelly will have more say and in New York, I'm presuming Maronne will have some additional control. Chicago would appear to be the job that the top GM candidate would want due to the full-control being granted and the fact that you almost get a free pass with Cutler in year 1 (I presume we will keep him for a year and than make a decision on him after a new coaching staff is in place).

Also, in regards to Ernie and Ted and George. They might have all had conversations and thought, I think Ballard is the best guy but these are some other very good candidates as well that you should meet. After you meet with them, if our expectations are confirmed, we'll hire Ballard. Nothing wrong with that and it happens all the time in the real world and is not a bad practice at all. Lets not act as if Ernie hasn't interacted with Ballard and even interviewed with most of these guys before, but with other teams (cause he has).

I think outside of potential new candidates who came up on the list vs. previous years Ernie has been involved with other organizations, he already had a pretty good flavor for who was there and who he thinks are the best candidates, imo.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
I'm not going to go all soxfest and complain that the Bears are going to continue on their losing ways like they did in the last 12 years, because in reality while Lovies tenure never got a super bowl trophy he did have a pretty successful run with a few pretty competitive teams.

But I am pissed that they barely interviewed anyone. I was expecting Ballard after a charade of candidates coming through, not him being offered before anyone else gets talked to. That's total bulls***. You have to interview many people because sometimes you will be surprised and find a candidate you didn't expect.

When it comes to a GM search, the preferred approach tends to be to have a smaller field of candidates coming in. We need to move quickly so bringing in 15 guys would be a very ineffective use of our time and put us seriously behind other teams in finding a head coach (not to mention good assistants). I think the field we have / will interview for the job is frankly the right size and includes pretty much all the candidates I would want (outside of the DeCosta who said no).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 05:55 AM)
I think Chris Ballard is the best candidate of the guys that are being interviewed. He does seem like more of the same though.

Ballard has significant experience in both coaching and scouting and is extremely well thought off across the industry. We've had an outside group helping us in the process. It is all a crapshoot to some extent, but I just don't think people can ignore the fact that league wide, Angelo was and still is very widely respected for what he did in Tampa and Chicago. He has now went to another organization and worked with tremendous people and again is very well thought of and received in broad scale NFL circles. This is not the Bears hiring the person they are familiar with, this is the Bears hiring the best candidate, who happens to be someone they are also familiar with (which to be frank is a plus...cause without that familiarity, I don't know if he is taking this job).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Not to mention, in Philly, Kelly will have more say and in New York, I'm presuming Maronne will have some additional control. Chicago would appear to be the job that the top GM candidate would want due to the full-control being granted and the fact that you almost get a free pass with Cutler in year 1 (I presume we will keep him for a year and than make a decision on him after a new coaching staff is in place).

FWIW, Marrone's interview with the Jets did not go very well. I think he will be a head coach somewhere next year, but I don't think this has gone as well for him as he envisioned. It really says something about the character of a guy who is willing to walk out on an extremely young and talented team that has, for the most part, one [major, glaring, gigantic] hole on the team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
Ballard has significant experience in both coaching and scouting and is extremely well thought off across the industry. We've had an outside group helping us in the process. It is all a crapshoot to some extent, but I just don't think people can ignore the fact that league wide, Angelo was and still is very widely respected for what he did in Tampa and Chicago. He has now went to another organization and worked with tremendous people and again is very well thought of and received in broad scale NFL circles. This is not the Bears hiring the person they are familiar with, this is the Bears hiring the best candidate, who happens to be someone they are also familiar with (which to be frank is a plus...cause without that familiarity, I don't know if he is taking this job).

I liked Angelo a lot and I think he lost a power struggle with Lovie which reflects poorly on the Bears organization as Lovie is not a personnel guy and will never win in Tampa. If he stuck to coaching he would be fine.

I understand what you are saying and they may be homerun selections but the fact that they both were passed over for Emery and Trestman by Ted and George leads me to be a little weary of them being able to make the proper decisions.

It could work and it could just as easily blow in their face.

Wasn't Ditka a special teams coach at Dallas, well there you go.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
I liked Angelo a lot and I think he lost a power struggle with Lovie which reflects poorly on the Bears organization as Lovie is not a personnel guy and will never win in Tampa. If he stuck to coaching he would be fine.

I understand what you are saying and they may be homerun selections but the fact that they both were passed over for Emery and Trestman by Ted and George leads me to be a little weary of them being able to make the proper decisions.

Ted and George may have passed on Ballard, but Emery hired Trestman. Im not gonna hold that against them, they hired Emery to hire a coach, and let him do it

I just want this process to finish, I want to know what to look forward to (or dread)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
FWIW, Marrone's interview with the Jets did not go very well. I think he will be a head coach somewhere next year, but I don't think this has gone as well for him as he envisioned. It really says something about the character of a guy who is willing to walk out on an extremely young and talented team that has, for the most part, one [major, glaring, gigantic] hole on the team.

I agree. I am not interested in hiring him, at all. The way he left that organization rubs me the wrong way.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)

Fair enough. I also think that in the end of the day, a lot of this comes down to pure luck to some extent. Do you hit on some of your picks early, etc. I know that might not be the popular answer, but I can think of the times teams didn't hire the guy they want and instead got someone else and it ended up working far better. Trojan fans were irate when Pete Carroll was hired, look at them now. Wolverine fans couldn't have had a better hire than Brady Hoke...now they couldn't have gotten a better hire than Harbaugh.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Ted and George may have passed on Ballard, but Emery hired Trestman. Im not gonna hold that against them, they hired Emery to hire a coach, and let him do it

I just want this process to finish, I want to know what to look forward to (or dread)

Agree. I like the fact that by all accounts, Ballard is a people person and a very good salesmen who knows how what he likes and how to sell it. I think that can be critical when it comes to getting the right people to come work for you as well as bringing in the right FA's, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 15m15 minutes ago

League source suggests that Brian Gaine could be Ernie Accorsi's top recommendation for #Bears, especially with Parcells connections.

Code for...someone goes, Ernie will probably recommend someone who was affiliated with someone he worked with, I think they'll do that. It would be like someone knowing, Jason likes steak, I think he's going to order a steak at a restaurant tonight. Yeah, maybe I will, but maybe I won't.

I think all of these reports are probably inaccurate / premature (including the Ballard offered report)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 15m15 minutes ago

League source suggests that Brian Gaine could be Ernie Accorsi's top recommendation for #Bears, especially with Parcells connections.

On a sidenote, I'm not all that intrigued with Gaine. I don't exactly view the Dolphins organization and what they have done over the past 6 years to be anything to write home about. Again, I might be making too broad of an assumption but I don't get as excited about him. Of course you could say the same thing about the Bears organization where Ballard spent his time but at least during part of that tenure we were, on paper, arguably the best team in the NFL (too bad the results never backed that).

I also don't get that excited about guys out of the Belliceck mold. By and large, they have failed on their own. Probably because Tom Brady would make anyone look good. Dude is incredible.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
Code for...someone goes, Ernie will probably recommend someone who was affiliated with someone he worked with, I think they'll do that. It would be like someone knowing, Jason likes steak, I think he's going to order a steak at a restaurant tonight. Yeah, maybe I will, but maybe I won't.

I think all of these reports are probably inaccurate / premature (including the Ballard offered report)

Just order the damn steak, Gage!