2014-2015 NFL Football thread

When you listen to ex-players / current NFL analyst talk, they all seem to indicate this is much to do about nothing. As Mike Mayock said earlier today on DP, it is people who didn't play football who are largely making a big deal out of this, while the people who played it and analyze find it a non-issue.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
More importantly, why doesn't the league just control this equipment so this sort of tampering can't happen?

Seriously, why go through the hoops for K-balls, but not for the regular ones? It almost seems to be defacto acceptance.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Are they going to kick other QBs out of the league though? Guys do this every week. QB's get the balls aired up to their liking and basically force the officials to call them on it. This goes on a ton.

If they are multiple offenders, absolutely. It is no different than altering a baseball. It is done regularly, but if caught, there should be a penalty. The penalty should also be bigger if caught cheating before.

Jeremy Stoltz retweeted

Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 11m11 minutes ago

Some Bears players have been told Adam Gase will be the OC in Chicago.

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 4m4 minutes ago

Gase ������������

I haven't heard anything internally but seems like u guys have it figured out

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 3m3 minutes ago

I repeat - I know what you know

Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 12m12 minutes ago

Now the Colts say they won't let Rob Chudzinski interview anywhere. Obviously that includes the #Bears.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Isnt it harder to throw a spiral with a flat ball anyway? I dont get how its this huge advantage.

Yeah, but they're much easier to grip. On a day like last Sunday, where it was almost pouring, that's an advantage.

A big part of why I was excited for Fox is he has really put together great staffs recently, as seen by the amount of head coach candidates that came from Denver.

But if you would have told me Fox would come with Vic Fangio/Ed donatell(hopefully that will be official) and Adam Gase, I would be in disbelief. I'd also laugh ecstatically at all of the "He only had manning!"

I recognize the starry view of Gase has taken a hit after numerous rejections, but at 36 he clearly was not HC material yet. Tutoring under Manning and Martz is a hell of a background, and he has great support. What a job by fox so far. The best part is these are experienced coaches that should be able to verbalize the types of players Pace needs to find for them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Jeremy Stoltz retweeted

Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 11m11 minutes ago

Some Bears players have been told Adam Gase will be the OC in Chicago.

Gase ������������

I haven't heard anything internally but seems like u guys have it figured out

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 3m3 minutes ago

I repeat - I know what you know

Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 12m12 minutes ago

Now the Colts say they won't let Rob Chudzinski interview anywhere. Obviously that includes the #Bears.

Getting the guy a lot of people would have been happy with being named the HC as the OC is a nice coup.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Yeah, but they're much easier to grip. On a day like last Sunday, where it was almost pouring, that's an advantage.

The deflated balls were all gone by the start of the 2nd half. Weather was worse in the 2nd half. Yet despite all that, New England scores 28 points in the 2nd half (vs. 17 in the 1st half). They were better offensively in the 2nd half with the so called rightly inflated balls.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
A big part of why I was excited for Fox is he has really put together great staffs recently, as seen by the amount of head coach candidates that came from Denver.

But if you would have told me Fox would come with Vic Fangio/Ed donatell(hopefully that will be official) and Adam Gase, I would be in disbelief. I'd also laugh ecstatically at all of the "He only had manning!"

I recognize the starry view of Gase has taken a hit after numerous rejections, but at 36 he clearly was not HC material yet. Tutoring under Manning and Martz is a hell of a background, and he has great support. What a job by fox so far. The best part is these are experienced coaches that should be able to verbalize the types of players Pace needs to find for them.

Martz considers Gase one of the top 3 offensive minds in the league and I figure Gase has had an opportunity to learn from Manning and Martz as well as Mike McCoy (all well respected offensive minds). Martz might be a little insane but he flat out knows offense and he was the best OC we have had in Chicago during my lifetime (followed by Turner). I always wonder what would have been had Jay not gotten hurt that year cause that team was rolling at the right time. If we do in fact hire Gase (which is what I expect will happen), it will be a major coup. What will be better is if we can retain him for a few years before he gets his next job. For all I care, hopefully he is amazing and we can give him top money to stay on and be groomed to be Fox's replacement in 5-6 years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
The head ref is supposed to inspect the balls, its part of their job. Whether or not it is micro managed, its in the job description and these guys get paid a ton of money for maybe 20 days out of the year of actual game work. I dont think its too much to ask for them to notice a ball is very under-inflated

I think what this is going to lead to is teams not being able to use their own game ball. I do think the league provides the ball for kicking situations. Just make it for every situation.

I hope nobody is suggesting the Colts may have won with the ball fully inflated, but there has been a pattern of cheating with NE that needs to be addressed more harshly than normal. As far as playing by the rules, the Patriots are the Daniel Carcillo of the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
The deflated balls were all gone by the start of the 2nd half. Weather was worse in the 2nd half. Yet despite all that, New England scores 28 points in the 2nd half (vs. 17 in the 1st half). They were better offensively in the 2nd half with the so called rightly inflated balls.

I don't think anyone is saying the Colts would have won. But this is an issue of the Patriots cheating. This isn't the first time they've done something that most would consider cheating and if there isn't some sort of proper action taken, they're going to continue doing it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Martz considers Gase one of the top 3 offensive minds in the league and I figure Gase has had an opportunity to learn from Manning and Martz as well as Mike McCoy (all well respected offensive minds). Martz might be a little insane but he flat out knows offense and he was the best OC we have had in Chicago during my lifetime (followed by Turner). I always wonder what would have been had Jay not gotten hurt that year cause that team was rolling at the right time. If we do in fact hire Gase (which is what I expect will happen), it will be a major coup. What will be better is if we can retain him for a few years before he gets his next job. For all I care, hopefully he is amazing and we can give him top money to stay on and be groomed to be Fox's replacement in 5-6 years.

This is a big reason why other teams didnt bite on giving him an OC job. They dont want to bring in a guy that is going to bolt at the first opportunity next year for a HC position.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
He also bombed his HC interviews so he may be a few years away. I think Mangini/McDaniels ruined any chances for 36 year old coaches from hereon out.

I don't necessarily think so. I think you just need to make sure he's a good coach. Jon Gruden and Mike Tomlin were both 35 when they took head coaching jobs.

Sorry guys, that was a bit tongue in cheek. But at his age and how hot of a candidate he was, I think we are more likely to see Fangio gone next year than Gase. Unless of course the bears are a dumpster fire.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
He also bombed his HC interviews so he may be a few years away. I think Mangini/McDaniels ruined any chances for 36 year old coaches from hereon out.

I had heard he did well in his interview in Chicago and San Fran. I think it is more that it was probably a year or two too early for him still.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Sorry guys, that was a bit tongue in cheek. But at his age and how hot of a candidate he was, I think we are more likely to see Fangio gone next year than Gase. Unless of course the bears are a dumpster fire.

If the Bears D ranks top 10 next year, I bet Fangio gets some phone calls as a potential HC. Thus far though, he hasn't really gotten looked at in that manner, which might mean the league has already decided he isn't "HC" material. I kind of still think Arians would be a coordinator had he not gotten the opportunity to be the HC for the Colts while Pagano was going through his treatment.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
The Bears just hired a 37 year old GM, and that's far more critical to the long-term success of the team than a coach.

I don't really think the GM is more critical to the teams success as the HC. I think both are critical and they need to work well together, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
I don't really think the GM is more critical to the teams success as the HC. I think both are critical and they need to work well together, etc.

In a given season, sure, but a bad GM with several bad drafts in a row can screw a team up for years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)

Do we know that definitively?

http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-was-aware-o...dium=socialflow

The NFL knew about this issue with the Pats well before Sunday's game. At least in that article, it's not clear whether all of the balls were gone by halftime or not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)

The NFL knew about this issue with the Pats well before Sunday's game. At least in that article, it's not clear whether all of the balls were gone by halftime or not.

I have no idea. Its what I heard on the radio last night and again this morning. I don't think anyone knows much of anything other than what Mort leaked. Nobody has the full facts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)

The balls were not gone, they were used the whole game. The NFL was alerted of the issue which is why the balls were taken after the game. In the normal course of events the balls are taken by the teams after the game.

In regard to the officials, during he course of the game it is not something they will check. As teams are hurrying to get plays off, how would you think if there was an unfounded delay for the checking and rechecking of he balls. This is unchartered territory and the reality is the officials are going to put their faith in the teams and ball boys to do the right thing.

Teams may want to see how Gase does without Manning. What better way to see than to work with Cutler. Gase or Cutler will be selling cars in two years.