Teen Sues Parents

Reddy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Just remember this...I looked it up a while back, only 20% of fast food counter workers are under the age of 25, everyone else is someone older needing a job. The world of "still there for the taking" jobs doesn't exist right now.

Is that lack of available jobs or disinterest from the kids we're talking about? As I worked my bulls*** law clerk job paying $13/hour for 2 years (before and after getting my license) other friends of mine decided it wasn't worth it and remained unemployed by choice until a "real" job came along.

Edit: Also, I have a hard time believing that a McDonald's manager wouldn't hire a college educated 22 year old over a 45 year old, uneducated mother of 3. The college educated kid needs to adjust his salary requirements.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember this...I looked it up a while back, only 20% of fast food counter workers are under the age of 25, everyone else is someone older needing a job. The world of "still there for the taking" jobs doesn't exist right now.

Why wouldnt they hire the younger worker, probably for slightly less money? How about yard work, painters, lifeguards, delivery drivers? Almost every place I go to eat lunch is looking for delivery drivers. The jobs are there, kids just dont want them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
Is that lack of available jobs or disinterest from the kids we're talking about? As I worked my bulls*** law clerk job paying $13/hour for 2 years (before and after getting my license) other friends of mine decided it wasn't worth it and remained unemployed by choice until a "real" job came along.

Edit: Also, I have a hard time believing that a McDonald's manager wouldn't hire a college educated 22 year old over a 45 year old, uneducated mother of 3. The college educated kid needs to adjust his salary requirements.

Is it unbelievable? There is a good chance that you'll spend a lot of money training the 22 year old and they'll bail in six months. The 45 year old is an employee more likely to stay.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not saying kids haven't been spoiled s***s before, but I don't think kids in past generations would have started a lawsuit over it. They might have felt like their parents owed it to them to pay for their college, but they never would have asserted that as a legal right.

And yes, Occupy was an example of that problem. Kids protesting about not having jobs or money as they tweet and blog through various hi-tech gadgets. They had a legitimate beef to start (lots of debt, no jobs) but quickly just became a "I want more. I don't have enough. Look at that rich guy over there. Not fair." movement.

I'm sorry. What.

This is exactly what the mainstream media WANTED you middle americans to think about Occupy with the way they chose to cover it. Please. Please. You're legitimately clueless and horribly off base on this.

You realize Occupy still exists yes? And they did MOST of the recovery effort after Sandy yes? And that they've been fighting to keep people in their homes now for years yes? I can keep going.

HOW DARE THE PROTESTERS USE THE INTERNET!!!! They must be entitled brats. Much, much different than the protesters against Vietnam. Totes different.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Affordable or night, I guarantee you all of our parents would never have dreamed of DEMANDING that their parents support them and pay for their college.

flawed N=1 case study is flawed.

I will say this, back in 2008 when I was graduating high school I went out and applied for summer work. I went to over 30 companies, all of them personally asking about job opportunities at a variety of jobs (retail, landscaping, movers, restaurants). I had a decent amount of experience painting, landscaping and restaurant work from previous summers but after a month of looking I had two offers, one for a moving company and one a few weeks later for Lowes in their paint department. I took the moving job because I'm a big guy and could handle the physical nature of it, but it was amazing how hard it was to get a job that summer. Of course the economy has gotten better since then and I had no problem getting internships or offers while in college.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
I'm sorry. What.

This is exactly what the mainstream media WANTED you middle americans to think about Occupy with the way they chose to cover it. Please. Please. You're legitimately clueless and horribly off base on this.

You realize Occupy still exists yes? And they did MOST of the recovery effort after Sandy yes? And that they've been fighting to keep people in their homes now for years yes? I can keep going.

HOW DARE THE PROTESTERS USE THE INTERNET!!!! They must be entitled brats. Much, much different than the protesters against Vietnam. Totes different.

Occupy turned into a conglomerate of social fiscal issues. I agreed with the core, but a lot of people started using it's momentum for their own agendas and it turned into just a have/have not social media dogfight.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
I'm sorry. What.

Mmm, k?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I will say this, back in 2008 when I was graduating high school I went out and applied for summer work. I went to over 30 companies, all of them personally asking about job opportunities at a variety of jobs (retail, landscaping, movers, restaurants). I had a decent amount of experience painting, landscaping and restaurant work from previous summers but after a month of looking I had two offers, one for a moving company and one a few weeks later for Lowes in their paint department. I took the moving job because I'm a big guy and could handle the physical nature of it, but it was amazing how hard it was to get a job that summer. Of course the economy has gotten better since then and I had no problem getting internships or offers while in college.

Yeah, that was really bad timing.

I worked as a lifeguard, pizze delivery boy, subway sandwich artist (yep), bartender and contruction/demo while I was in college/HS. I cant fathom not working like some kids do. Where the hell do they get spending money?

I wonder what the numbers for other forms of employment are? Like retail or grocery stores?

I purposely stayed away from fast-food jobs when I was a teenager. I worked at a bowling alley, a toy store, a sporting goods store and a drug store before I got my first "real" job. When I was in HS it seemed like half my friends worked at either a grocery store or a local call center.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Yeah, that was really bad timing.

I worked as a lifeguard, pizze delivery boy, subway sandwich artist (yep), bartender and contruction/demo while I was in college/HS. I cant fathom not working like some kids do. Where the hell do they get spending money?

Mommy and Daddy, for those fortunate ones...aka people at my high school. I worked at Jewel (overnight) starting when I was a sophomore during summers. I was the exception to the rule.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Mommy and Daddy, for those fortunate ones...aka people at my high school. I worked at Jewel (overnight) starting when I was a sophomore during summers. I was the exception to the rule.

My parents literally drew the line at spending money. Education, room and board, great. Money to go out and buy things, you are on your own kid. If you want to have fun, work for it.

I started working at 14 with a work permit. My parents really didn't give me s*** so I said I would just go work for it. Best decision is to send your kids to work, no matter how rich you are. You will learn responsibility and hopefully that discipline will carry over in other aspects of life.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
I started working at 14 with a work permit. My parents really didn't give me s*** so I said I would just go work for it. Best decision is to send your kids to work, no matter how rich you are. You will learn responsibility and hopefully that discipline will carry over in other aspects of life.

My favorite example of this is George Lucas. He has adopted kids and his comment is routinely "I earned my money, how did you earn yours." He started a a clean up kid for Carol Shelby then worked his way up to racing for him.

I started bean walking and detasseling when I was 11. My rule with my kids is that if you are in a full time sport there is an allowance based on grades. When you are not in season, it's time to earn your own spending money.

I agree with the stay away from fast food concept. My job throughout college was working at Balmoral race track.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
The occupy movement, yes. I was involved with it personally.

Where did "the movement" get the trucks and tools to do that? Since they did "most" of the work. How much money did they raise for the rebuilding of homes and businesses?

Wait, I found it. A laughable 1.4 million.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Where did "the movement" get the trucks and tools to do that? Since they did "most" of the work. How much money did they raise for the rebuilding of homes and businesses?

Wait, I found it. A laughable 1.4 million.

Hell they couldn't clean up the parks they took over. There were several towns that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix them after they left.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
My favorite example of this is George Lucas. He has adopted kids and his comment is routinely "I earned my money, how did you earn yours." He started a a clean up kid for Carol Shelby then worked his way up to racing for him.

I started bean walking and detasseling when I was 11. My rule with my kids is that if you are in a full time sport there is an allowance based on grades. When you are not in season, it's time to earn your own spending money.

I agree with the stay away from fast food concept. My job throughout college was working at Balmoral race track.

I worked at McDonalds for two years. After that, I had some restaurant gigs that were not fast food, but in general, fast food is a good place to learn some basic work skills.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)

Did the bean-thing at 11, spent some savings on a riding mower and mowed lawns for a few years, lied about my age and got a job at Dairy Queen when i was 15 flipping burgers and making cones. Started working summers for my dad at 16, and that was a b****. Dad didn't want anyone working for him to think I didn't earn my job, so i got every s*** detail there and always had the hardest jobs to run. After a while I got them because he knew I would get them done. Did that job summers until I got out of college.

Everyone should have to do fast food or retail at least once, and experience the torture.

Man, I worked at Baskin Robbins, McDonalds, and Jewel in Batavia before I graduated HS. Worked at Petco during summers off, and a pizza driver at school, as well as flower delivery and a radio station DJ.

Menial jobs still paid the bills

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Did the bean-thing at 11, spent some savings on a riding mower and mowed lawns for a few years, lied about my age and got a job at Dairy Queen when i was 15 flipping burgers and making cones. Started working summers for my dad at 16, and that was a b****. Dad didn't want anyone working for him to think I didn't earn my job, so i got every s*** detail there and always had the hardest jobs to run. After a while I got them because he knew I would get them done. Did that job summers until I got out of college.

Everyone should have to do fast food or retail at least once, and experience the torture.

Retail will teach you to be nice to other people. Working in a bar changes your outlook on the service industry as well. However, the job that made me want to stay in school and get good grades was my demo job. I worked with a crew demo-ing warehouses on the southside. get up at 4am and get home so tired you can barely see to pick the black boogers out of your nose will teach you the value of education real fast.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Retail will teach you to be nice to other people. Working in a bar changes your outlook on the service industry as well. However, the job that made me want to stay in school and get good grades was my demo job. I worked with a crew demo-ing warehouses on the southside. get up at 4am and get home so tired you can barely see to pick the black boogers out of your nose will teach you the value of education real fast.

I shoveled sh** at the race track instead of fast food. The races were from 7-12 and I didn't get home to 2am after clean ups. That was the work that kept me at university even though I could have signed on with the construction company when they rebuilt the track.

I would rather treat the people who got beat down by the job than be one. But getting the job is the primary idea behind.