Missing Malaysian Airliner thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the passengers brought it down what was the target? Is there any target in the region that would have been 9/11-esque?

Who knows what the target could have been. Terrorists don't always have political and/or religious motives. Sometimes they are just bats*** crazy.

Newest reports say that the plane was flying at under 5,000 feet at one points to avoid radar detection. Also, the younger co-pilot was the last one heard making verbal communication over the radio, so he was awake/aware when the radar was being shut off.

I am thinking that somehow they depressurized the cabin and that most of the passengers really weren't awake. If you started flying that low, you would think that some passenger or crew member might start wondering what was up and maybe get on their cell phone and send a message or something.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
I can't decide if the Malaysian government is very good at keeping secrets or completely incompetent

I'm going with the latter. I think they just don't have the resources, knowledge or experience for investigating flight disasters. Add in that this one is so strange and it is plainly over their heads.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Who knows what the target could have been. Terrorists don't always have political and/or religious motives. Sometimes they are just bats*** crazy.

I honestly cannot recall a terrorist takeover where there wasnt a clear motive and demand based on religion, ideology, money or politics.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Israel is putting their air defense on high alert for the immediate future as they think there is a possibility that the plane was hijacked with the ulterior motive to use it to deliver chem or nuke weapons into Israel.

I mean that would be the craziest thing ever.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Israel is putting their air defense on high alert for the immediate future as they think there is a possibility that the plane was hijacked with the ulterior motive to use it to deliver chem or nuke weapons into Israel.

That seems like a really hard way to do something that could be done much easier.

That seems like a really hard way to do something that could be done much easier.

For rogue nations/terror groups, obtaining a long range warhead is nearly impossible, possibly even more so than hijacking a 777 without getting caught.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
For rogue nations/terror groups, obtaining a long range warhead is nearly impossible, possibly even more so than hijacking a 777 without getting caught.

My point is you don't need a long range aerial weapon to accomplish that, in fact that makes it much more difficult. You'd only do it if you had to operate on a continent away from where you could just roll something up, like the Americas.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
My point is you don't need a long range aerial weapon to accomplish that, in fact that makes it much more difficult. You'd only do it if you had to operate on a continent away from where you could just roll something up, like the Americas.

its a plane. Why couldn't you just buy one?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Does al Qaeda have an open credit account with Airbus? :lol:

You don't need a 777 for this kind of thing. A 40 year old Cessna would do, and in fact would be much easier to hide, use, and fly in without notice (or notice when too late). But more likely you don't use a plane at all, which was my point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
That seems sensible.

It does. I started to believe in the conspiracy theories a little bit, but the realist in me keeps thinking something like this is what's going to be the outcome. I just hope, for the victims' families, that we can have some sort of resolution soon.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
It does. I started to believe in the conspiracy theories a little bit, but the realist in me keeps thinking something like this is what's going to be the outcome. I just hope, for the victims' families, that we can have some sort of resolution soon.

Odds are still about 1000 to 1 that the plane is on the bottom of some body of water, at least in my head.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Theory from a pilots point of view.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

In case anyone didn't know, there is a reddit thread on this article.

What I don't get is what happened to the passengers? If smoke is filling the cabin, don't people pull out phones and make calls or texts? I doubt this entire sequence could happen so fast that everyone was dead before they could attempt a call.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/17/world/asia/s...?iref=allsearch

There's a reason why Malaysian officials are so confident it was Flight 370 that sent signals to a satellite many hours after the plane disappeared from radar March 8. That's because CNN has learned signals from commercial aircraft to Inmarsat satellites always include a code confirming the identity of the plane.

Government officials now believe the plane continued flying until at least 8:11 a.m. -- almost seven hours after disappearing from radar at 1:21 a.m.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
In case anyone didn't know, there is a reddit thread on this article.

What I don't get is what happened to the passengers? If smoke is filling the cabin, don't people pull out phones and make calls or texts? I doubt this entire sequence could happen so fast that everyone was dead before they could attempt a call.

Well if they had really flown up to 42,000 feet as reported, I doubt they had any cell service, especially if they were over water. Then if the cabin were depressurized, they would have been unconscious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Theory from a pilots point of view.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

The autopilot flying solo with incapacitated passengers happened to Payne Stewart and a commercial aircraft in Greece. My only issue is that the way the flight plan was diverted via computer, it doesn't sound like it happened in the middle of an emergency.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)

There's no phone signal up that high - is there?