Missing Malaysian Airliner thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
According to something I read a few minutes ago the confirmation came not due to discovery of debris but instead due to a strong satellite lock on the plane showing its position in that ocean.

Did you see the way they determined where the plane was? Talk about serious math geeks.

The signal didn't actual show where the plane was. The signal was just a mechanical transmission stated the engines were running fine. There was no positional data. The "experts" Used the doppler effect for how long it took the signals to reach a few different satellites and used the triangulation of time for each one to determine where it had to be. Talk about the reason why it took a week to determine where it was.

All that being said, I still think the Malaysian military shot it by accident and is covering it's rear. :D

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Did you see the way they determined where the plane was? Talk about serious math geeks.

The signal didn't actual show where the plane was. The signal was just a mechanical transmission stated the engines were running fine. There was no positional data. The "experts" Used the doppler effect for how long it took the signals to reach a few different satellites and used the triangulation of time for each one to determine where it had to be. Talk about the reason why it took a week to determine where it was.

All that being said, I still think the Malaysian military shot it by accident and is covering it's rear. :D

Math, b****es.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Plus over half the world's population live within 50 miles of an ocean. The shipping industry is tight lipped about the number because it is bad for business but estimates range from 700 to 10,000 shipping containers (80' x 8' steel) fall overboard every year.

That's quite the range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From CNN

Some 69% of Americans believe the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 should continue, but 46% of the country thinks the arduous search is being conducted in the wrong place, according to a new national poll.

The CNN/ORC International poll comes nearly two months after the March 8 disappearance of the plane carrying 239 people. The Beijing-bound flight took off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Nearly eight in 10 respondents, 79%, think there are no survivors.

21% of Americans believe there are survivors? Where are they?

54% believe they are searching in the right place? If that was true, the plane would have been found amiright?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
If that was true, the plane would have been found amiright?

No. They could be looking in the right area and it simply is way too hard, IMO. They are at the limits of the equipment they have in a very difficult area to hunt. They are searching for metal debris that could be spread out over wide areas and which probably impacted the sediment with force. Even in the right area this is a tough hunt.

You are exactly right from a common sense usage of the words. I'm looking at the statement from a purely linguistics point of view and being a bit snarky. The *right* area to search is *exactly* where the plane is. Not two feet away, but exactly there. If it is covered by six inches of silt then the right area is underneath the six inches of silt.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
From CNN

21% of Americans believe there are survivors? Where are they?

54% believe they are searching in the right place? If that was true, the plane would have been found amiright?

Not necessarily. Could be "Don't Know".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
Not necessarily. Could be "Don't Know".

I'm hoping it doesn't mean that 21% believe one of the conspiracy theories that terrorists or the CIA (for parts of the world they may be one and the same), are holding the plane somewhere.

I do believe this may someday be thought of as the "Greatest Unsolved Mystery of the 21st Century"

• 7 months later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-28...social-facebook

A former airline boss and writer claims the U.S. downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 because the military feared it had been taken over by hackers and was about to be used in a 9/11-style attack.

Marc Dugain, the former chief executive of now-defunct Proteus Airlines, said the jumbo jet was shot down near a U.S. military base on the remote island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean after it was hacked.

So they fear it was taken over by hackers, does that mean that a plane can be completely remote controlled? Because that part seems a bit farfetched

I mean, an entire plane completely disappearing the way this one did is farfetched, but thats another story

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
So they fear it was taken over by hackers, does that mean that a plane can be completely remote controlled? Because that part seems a bit farfetched

I mean, an entire plane completely disappearing the way this one did is farfetched, but thats another story

No, it cannot be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 05:55 AM)

Or is hacker another word for terrorist in the author's native language?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
So they fear it was taken over by hackers, does that mean that a plane can be completely remote controlled? Because that part seems a bit farfetched.

I don't think the ability to do that exists at the moment, but I do recall reading something a year or two back about a demonstration at a security expo/conference that had certain systems found on commercial airliners remotely hacked via smart phone. None of them enabled direct control of the place (so no giant drone with people on it), but one of the systems accessed is called ACARS, and it's purpose is to electronically communicate flight information and technical data to the ground via text. This system was used to help determine where to start searching for MH370 - it transmitted data to Rolls Royce or Boeing (or both). They looked at when data stopped coming in, factored in the amount of fuel on-board, took into account that the plane didn't pop back up on ground radar (meaning it headed out to sea), and came up with a general area of where to look. One problem is that the rate of fuel burn changes with altitude, so without knowing MH370's altitude and airspeed, that area is huge.

I would imagine that if ACARS could be broken into, it would be used to send bogus data, or to stop transmitting data entirely. Ideally, the Airbusses (Airbii?) and Boeings of the world would have payed good attention to this, and engineered any weak spot that could allow this from their designs. They probably did, but I doubt that would dissuade a lot of the hacker types from trying again. I don't know the intricacies of systems/software on a commercial airliner, maybe there is something I am overlooking.

That said, with the infuriating insistence of making anything and everything imaginable "smart", it wouldn't surprise me if someone could hack into this bottle of water sitting on my desk in the not too distant future.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 24, 2014 -> 01:40 AM)
I watched an episode of Hawaii five-o not to long ago where a dude hacked a plane. That was obviously just a TV show, but I think the ability to do so may be a thing.

I watched an episode of The Walking Dead where people hid in a jail to protect themselves from zombies.. That was obviously a TV show, but I think zombies may be a thing.

I watched an episode of The Walking Dead where people hid in a jail to protect themselves from zombies.. That was obviously a TV show, but I think zombies may be a thing.

I watched a movie where really hot women have lots of sex with unattractive, overweight, bald, non-wealthy men. That was obviously a movie, but I think it may be a thing.