Missing Malaysian Airliner thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Of course nothing has changed in the world since that day...

But take a look at how this plane behaved. The transponder went off and no alarm bells sounded here either.

Maybe this would be different over the United States, but it's also possible that "sounding the alarm bells every time there's a problem with a transponder signal" is a huge expense that we don't deal with until there's more reason to respond.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
But take a look at how this plane behaved. The transponder went off and no alarm bells sounded here either. Maybe this would be different over the United States, but it's also possible that "sounding the alarm bells every time there's a problem with a transponder signal" is a huge expense that we don't deal with until there's more reason to respond.

I dont see why alarm bells should have sounded in the US over a foreign airline disappearing off radar, outside of the united states.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
I dont see why alarm bells should have sounded in the US over a foreign airline disappearing off radar, outside of the united states.

Here referring to "in this case", a perfectly valid use of the word "here".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Here referring to "in this case", a perfectly valid use of the word "here".

I see, i thought you meant "Why didnt the US know this happened", to which i would think "not their problem(at the moment)"

My guess is, the US is combing through satellite images right now, for anything they have in that area for that timeframe. They can use data on flights in that area/time that were known, try to eliminate some, and maybe get lucky and find it that way while it was still in the air.

But that is a LOT of data to comb through, and it would take time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
My guess is, the US is combing through satellite images right now, for anything they have in that area for that timeframe. They can use data on flights in that area/time that were known, try to eliminate some, and maybe get lucky and find it that way while it was still in the air.

But that is a LOT of data to comb through, and it would take time.

Actually the real trick would be that there should be software to look for these type of things pretty quickly if you're looking in the right area, it would just take processing power. We use software to look for color changes in land/ocean all the time. That's probably why private satellite companies out of China kept spotting things like "white objects" that turned out to be boats & such.

Now that I write that, it makes me wonder whether the satellites that are going over just aren't calibrated to the type of things that might be seen. I do know that the ISS was supposed to make a pass over the LKP today and take images specifically to help the hunt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Actually the real trick would be that there should be software to look for these type of things pretty quickly if you're looking in the right area, it would just take processing power. We use software to look for color changes in land/ocean all the time. That's probably why private satellite companies out of China kept spotting things like "white objects" that turned out to be boats & such.

Now that I write that, it makes me wonder whether the satellites that are going over just aren't calibrated to the type of things that might be seen. I do know that the ISS was supposed to make a pass over the LKP today and take images specifically to help the hunt.

How well do those work for images taken at 1 or 2 AM? Or are they using infrared or something else that doesn't depend on visible light?

You'd also have to deal with whatever cloud cover was in the area that could obscure the plane.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
How well do those work for images taken at 1 or 2 AM? Or are they using infrared or something else that doesn't depend on visible light?

You'd also have to deal with whatever cloud cover was in the area that could obscure the plane.

1-2 a.m. you wouldn't get anything useful, IR wouldn't help unless you had a temperature difference. However, several satellites, specifically Suomi-NPP can spot fires and burning even at night if such a thing happened.

Cloud cover could definitely be a problem in getting good images but we're now about a week out so a number of different satellites should have gotten clean looks.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
I meant more if they were specifically trying to analyze satellite images from when the plane disappeared.

That would be really tough. It's not only a small object at a large distance but its rapidly moving relative to everything around it. At a single time you need everything to come together. The good news would be there wouldn't be much data to sort through, either you have satellite images of the area or you don't. And if it's taken at night...good luck, I don't think even IR imagery would spot that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
I'm placing money on Putin having stolen it. The USA will send CIA Agent Dennis Rodman to retrieve it.

Sounds legit.

On a serious side, the Malaysian government is hiding too much,now they officially are accepting the conclusion it was hijacked,it took them this long to confirm it?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Could the plane have made it all the way to unfriendly Myanmar, and getting help hiding it?

I definitely think that's a very realistic possibility. I just feel bad for the families stuck in limbo on whether the passengers were killed or are being help captive ( which i would imagine they are to be used as leverage as some point?)

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
Sounds legit.

On a serious side, the Malaysian government is hiding too much,now they officially are accepting the conclusion it was hijacked,it took them this long to confirm it?

I can't decide if the Malaysian government is very good at keeping secrets or completely incompetent

For various reasons I hope the people are alive and the jet is being hid somewhere and will be revealed soon. There is something cool about hiding a jet for a week.

Well yes, I think we all obviously hope that these 200+ people are still alive. The fact that this would also mean that somebody has pulled off possibly the best caper ever is an added bonus.

It's also possible that the hijackers were going to do something majorly disastrous and these 200+ people took the plane down to prevent it, just like the 4th plane on 9/11. That's the next best outcome to all these people being alive.