Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
If he stays on this pace and plays in 140 games (has played in 63 of our 77, and likely will receive 7-10 off days), then he'll go 49/133. Has anyone else ever had those exact HR/RBI numbers? I thought Pujols, but he was 49/137.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Ha!

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Hasn't he only had one off day the entire season? I believe when he was slumping and even then he pinch hit. I highly, highly doubt he gets 7-10 off days the rest of the season unless he gets some sort of nagging injury. They will give him days off from playing 1st, but he will still DH. If you assume he plays every day the rest of the season he is on a 52/141 pace (would have been 57/154 without the DL stint). Pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
The days off would be due to ankle injuries or whatever problem he's been having. Plus, RV said he will get a day off this week.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Last time he said that, Abreu never got the day off, then he went on the DL. (Yes, I realize he was going on the DL either way, but my point remains)

Just to point out...as of yesterday, the White Sox have played 28 games since Jose Abreu came off the disabled list. Since coming off the disabled list, Jose Abreu has played 28 complete games. That "day off" someone said he would get? Yup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Just to point out...as of yesterday, the White Sox have played 28 games since Jose Abreu came off the disabled list. Since coming off the disabled list, Jose Abreu has played 28 complete games. That "day off" someone said he would get? Yup.

and his numbers show he is obviously suffering for it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
and his numbers show he is obviously suffering for it.

I just can't figure out why its impossible to have a middle ground. We play him every day so much so that he struggles for a week and then hits the disabled list, basically costing him 2/3 of the month of May. He then resumes playing every day in June.

I'll admit I was wrong coming into this season, I thought Robin would wind up playing Konerko too often to get the veteran playing time. Instead we play Abreu until he breaks down and winds up on the DL because off days are for the weak.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
I just can't figure out why its impossible to have a middle ground. We play him every day so much so that he struggles for a week and then hits the disabled list, basically costing him 2/3 of the month of May. He then resumes playing every day in June.

I'll admit I was wrong coming into this season, I thought Robin would wind up playing Konerko too often to get the veteran playing time. Instead we play Abreu until he breaks down and winds up on the DL because off days are for the weak.

I know you are under the assumption that playing many games = DL, but it isnt always the case. The guy seems to be past his ankle issue right now, i dont see him limping, he is hustling down the line, making diving plays at first.

If you start to see the guys production dip and he starts showing signs of his ankles bothering him, of course he needs a breather, but he is getting better as the month has gone along.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
I know you are under the assumption that playing many games = DL, but it isnt always the case. The guy seems to be past his ankle issue right now, i dont see him limping, he is hustling down the line, making diving plays at first.

If you start to see the guys production dip and he starts showing signs of his ankles bothering him, of course he needs a breather, but he is getting better as the month has gone along.

I just don't think "1 extra day off every 3-4 weeks" is in any way ridiculous or excessive, and especially for a guy who has never played 150 games seems like a really smart precaution. Especially with the sheer number of 1b we're carrying on this roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
I just don't think "1 extra day off every 3-4 weeks" is in any way ridiculous or excessive, and especially for a guy who has never played 150 games seems like a really smart precaution. Especially with the sheer number of 1b we're carrying on this roster.

I just dont think it is that simple. Does today count as a day off to you? Or is it only when he doesnt play a game, that it is counted as a day off?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I just dont think it is that simple. Does today count as a day off to you? Or is it only when he doesnt play a game, that it is counted as a day off?

Obviously he hasn't played every single day because there are off days in the schedule, but I think that long-term, giving a guy a tiny bit of extra rest over 162 is incredibly wise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Obviously he hasn't played every single day because there are off days in the schedule, but I think that long-term, giving a guy a tiny bit of extra rest over 162 is incredibly wise.

Why? He plays first base. He spend the majority of the game standing around doing not much of anything, and when he hits half the time he just gets to jog slowly around the bases. There's no reason he ever needs a day off.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Why? He plays first base. He spend the majority of the game standing around doing not much of anything, and when he hits half the time he just gets to jog slowly around the bases. There's no reason he ever needs a day off.

And yet we already watched him play his way into an injury and a DL trip once this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
And yet we already watched him play his way into an injury and a DL trip once this season.

Getting injured is not the same as being fatigued.

Just because you give him an off day doesn't mean hes not going to roll an ankle on the bag the next game. If hes not physically tired, there's no reason for him to have days off.

Edited by TRU

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
It's been discussed before that Abreu (rightly) feels that playing every day that he is physically able is an important part of his leadership activity
And IMO, an important job of the guy who is actually supposed to be leading the team, the manager, it to stand up once a month and say things like "Jose, take a day". Because it's a good thing for the team and the player both.

He even keeps saying he's going to and then not doing so.