Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
No reason to do so. Nothing can happen until after his third year. Realistically, it probably won't be worth it for Abreu to even worry about it until after his forth year, unless he can put himself into the Miguel Cabrera/Mike Trout stratosphere of hitters.

Here's the other thing: Might the shrewdest move be to eat up six years of Abreu and let him walk? At age 33? Let someone else buy his last one or two good years for the cost of five bad ones?

Look, I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Here's the other thing: Might the shrewdest move be to eat up six years of Abreu and let him walk? At age 33? Let someone else buy his last one or two good years for the cost of five bad ones?

Look, I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

That isn't a crazy theory.

I think because of the Cuban seasons being much shorter, he shouldn't have nearly as much mileage as a guy like Cabrera did at 27, but in this age of baseball it is much harder to predict downfalls because there are less artificial means to forestall them, meanwhile the recent history of that also muddies the waters to get a clear read on when guys should be regressing due to age.

I definitely see no reason at all to even think about a potential extension for at least one year, but realistically two makes the most sense.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)

Great stuff

For all the concerns about Abreu’s ability to get beat by good velocity, he turned out to be one of the best fastball hitters in the majors. Against pitches of 95 mph or better, Abreu hit .325, according to Baseballsavant.com. By pitch type linear weights at FanGraphs, among qualified hitters, Abreu had the best results against fastballs of anyone in 2014.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
I worship Jose of course. This may seen petty and minor, but can he learn to dig throws better? He's pretty lousy at that IMO compared to Hosmer/Paulie types.

I would be surprised if he doesn't improve at this with time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
All you had to do was see the in-season improvements he made this year to know that.

I remember watching a game late in the season where he looked like I would trying to dig a throw out, that's why I asked. He seemed clueless on the way to field a short hop throw.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
with the good news, Jose A winning ROY, comes some uncertain news.

in an article Abreu's performance could earn another big payday in 2017

mention that Jose A has an out clause.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/mlb-rumors.html

I thought that to be the case. if I was with the sox management, buy

out that clause.

Jose's out clause is different from some in that it does not allow him to become a free agent.

To qualify as a free agent you need 6 years of MLB service time. If Jose opts out after 3 years he would not have enough service time to qualify as a free agent. Therefore, the White Sox could hold onto him simply by offering him arbitration.

If this happened repeatedly and the Sox went to arbitration with him, it'd probably be worth an additional $20-$30 million for him over the lifetime of the contract if he continued performing at this level, but doing that opt out would also carry risks in that he'd switch from $36 million guaranteed remaining on the contract to being on 1 year deals. If he hits like this he'll do that, but it's not by any means an easy decision. That is not made clear in that article and the only place it's implied is in Hahn's quote.

The White Sox control Jose Abreu through the end of the 2019 season. That's what you need to focus on right now, the exact math isn't all that important from this point in 2014.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Jose's out clause is different from some in that it does not allow him to become a free agent.

To qualify as a free agent you need 6 years of MLB service time. If Jose opts out after 3 years he would not have enough service time to qualify as a free agent. Therefore, the White Sox could hold onto him simply by offering him arbitration.

If this happened repeatedly and the Sox went to arbitration with him, it'd probably be worth an additional $20-$30 million for him over the lifetime of the contract if he continued performing at this level, but doing that opt out would also carry risks in that he'd switch from $36 million guaranteed remaining on the contract to being on 1 year deals. If he hits like this he'll do that, but it's not by any means an easy decision. That is not made clear in that article and the only place it's implied is in Hahn's quote.

The White Sox control Jose Abreu through the end of the 2019 season. That's what you need to focus on right now, the exact math isn't all that important from this point in 2014.

It terms of arbitration, it won't be until years 5 and 6 that some pretty big numbers can be hit. Year 4 might not be worth opting out of.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
It terms of arbitration, it won't be until years 5 and 6 that some pretty big numbers can be hit. Year 4 might not be worth opting out of.

Can he opt out after every year or is it only one time? I don't know the exact setup so I tried to focus on the "He will not be a free agent if he opts out" part.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)

dang it.... I read the same article and for the life on me, I couldn't come up with

all you said.

Thanks for the info.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Can he opt out after every year or is it only one time? I don't know the exact setup so I tried to focus on the "He will not be a free agent if he opts out" part.

I have to think that once you opt out, the old contract is void, and you get whatever agreement you come to after that.

But my point is that if the potential reward is only a million or two dollars for the first year, is that worth it? The biggest contracts ever gotten for a 4th year seem to be Trout at a touch over $15 million and Howard at $15 million. Looking at what they did to get those numbers, I think Abreu is probably going to be a notch under them for sure.

Now once you get to 5th year, those number move up towards $20 million with Trout at $19.25 and Howard at 19.

Abreu's 4th years is $10.5 million, his 5th is $11.5.

Other than those guys, I am having a hard time finding good comps for a potential Abreu arbitration hearing.

• 2 weeks later...