Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
Nah, Trout has a 173 wRC+, Abreu 162. That means Trout has hit 11% better. OBP matters more than SLG.

No way. Triple crown stats & playoffs is it.

I still think Jose wins the triple crown as a rookie.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
Trout Cabrera will win it this year because he's putting up his regular numbers and is on the 2nd best team on baseball. If we switched records with LA Detroit, Abreu Trout would be the favorite.

Fixed for 2012 & 2013

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
They are very close. Trout will win because of the teams they play for.

Those are pure offensive numbers. Way to ignore the premium defense at a premium position. When you take in the value he adds in both places, he blows Abreu out of the water.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Those are pure offensive numbers. Way to ignore the premium defense at a premium position. When you take in the value he adds in both places, he blows Abreu out of the water.

Fangraphs has Trout as a below average fielder this year and a slightly above average baserunner.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
I love me some Jose Abreu but Trout is just a better player having a better overall year. He's your MVP.

Trout is the best player in baseball and will be so for the next 10 years. Nothing against Jose, but Trout is a once-in-a-generation player.

Trout has outhit Abreu and is a similar value defensively compared to average at their respective positions. The difference is that Trout plays center field, where the average offensive player is far worse. That's meaningful. Abreu would be a lower value if he played center field because he can't do it. That's why Trout is valuable. Because Trout is so good and doesn't play first base, the Angels can also have Albert Pujols on their team.

Also, Trout is a positive value on the basepaths. Abreu is very good for his speed and position as a baserunner, but he's no Trout.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Well he has been the best player in baseball the last two years and doesn't have any MVPs to show for it...

he might be the best player in baseball but are his numbers that good that he should be the run away MVP with 2 months left in the season?

Right now Abreu has a higher average and more home runs and RBI's. But since Trout has 10 SB and plays a good CF and plays for a better team with more money to spend makes him the runaway MVP??

Just doesn't make sense to me but I am just one guy

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
he might be the best player in baseball but are his numbers that good that he should be the run away MVP with 2 months left in the season?

Right now Abreu has a higher average and more home runs and RBI's. But since Trout has 10 SB and plays a good CF and plays for a better team with more money to spend makes him the runaway MVP??

Just doesn't make sense to me but I am just one guy

If Jose continues at this pace he's going to finish with around a 320 average, 45 home runs, and 125 RBI with a slash like 320/380/630

If he does that, fine give him the MVP, but he still has some catching up to do on Trout. Trout has simply been worth more up to this point.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
If Jose continues at this pace he's going to finish with around a 320 average, 45 home runs, and 125 RBI with a slash like 320/380/630

If he does that, fine give him the MVP, but he still has some catching up to do on Trout. Trout has simply been worth more up to this point.

It is his 1st year in the league!