Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has July ROTM locked up, but what are his POTM chances?

AL July OPS:

Abreu 1.064

Hosmer 1.044

Carter 1.043

Santana 1.043

Machado 1.041

AL July HR:

Carter 8

Santana 8

Abreu 6

Ortiz 6

Beltre 6

Gardner 6

Trout 6

AL July RBI:

Ortiz 25

Hunter 22

Abreu 19

Carter 19

Santana 18

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
AL July OPS:

Abreu 1.064

Hosmer 1.044

Carter 1.043

Santana 1.043

Machado 1.041

AL July HR:

Carter 8

Santana 8

Abreu 6

Ortiz 6

Beltre 6

Gardner 6

Trout 6

AL July RBI:

Ortiz 25

Hunter 22

Abreu 19

Carter 19

Santana 18

Thanks how about batting average ?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Crap, I just realized Abreu can opt into arbitration and out of his guaranteed salary after three years...

Because of comp salaries, there is very little chance it happens in his first arb year. There just aren't many big 4th year salaries for him to compare to for an arbiter.

Eno Sarris @enosarris

Abreu's in news, so here's his Davenport Translation (biggest sample): .321/.446/.660. DT for Cespedes .271/.338/.489 (real: 265/.324/.472)

4:12 PM - 17 Oct 2013

I remember everyone making a big deal over this tweet.

Edited by Jose Abreu

“Where I come from, we don’t like losing,” Abreu said through a translator. “It’s a matter of fact. We don’t like that. The one thing I can tell you is that I feel like we have a good team here. We have some players here that if we continue to ask more of each other, we can win this year.”

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
Trout is also an incredible defensive outfielder.

And an incredible baserunner. If he somehow gets robbed of the MVP again it will be a joke. No offense to Jose, who is one of the top 15 players in MLB, but Trout is inner circle HOF level, talking on pace to be one of the 15 best of all time, not just in MLB in 2014.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
And an incredible baserunner. If he somehow gets robbed of the MVP again it will be a joke. No offense to Jose, who is one of the top 15 players in MLB, but Trout is inner circle HOF level, talking on pace to be one of the 15 best of all time, not just in MLB in 2014.

He only has 10 SB...

.299, 24 HR, 76 RBI, .388 OBP, .582 SLG, .970 OPS (102 G)

.299, 31 HR, 83 RBI, .348 OBP, .628 SLG, .976 OPS (93 G)

People are acting like this is no contest.. Those numbers are very close.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
He only has 10 SB...

They are very close. Trout will win because of the teams they play for.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
They are very close. Trout will win because of the teams they play for.

Which is stupid IMO... Jose is a rookie who has never playing in the MLB and is putting up better numbers then almost everyone in the league.. If you take Jose off this team, we are one of the 3 worst teams in the MLB, if you take Trout off of LAA, I still think they can grab a wildcard.

I know its close but I hate how a lot of analysts and guys around the MLB think Trout already has it locked up with 2 months left and Jose putting up better numbers in his 1st year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
He only has 10 SB...

Yea but he's still 5 runs better than Jose, those count: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

It's also positional adjustment LF/CF is harder than 1B, if you don't agree with the fWAR positional adjustments that's fine and the point is certainly debatable -- but Trout is a better hitter (barely, granted) than Jose and on the other facets of the game -- defense and baserunning, Trout smokes him.

I def don't think MVP is a pure WAR wankfest but Jose would have to do something truely amazing like hit 400/500/750 during September with the Sox winning 24 of 29 to make the playoffs in order to leapfrog Trout, who simply is the better all around player.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)
I do expect some positive regression for Abreu, so the Davenport looks good.

A meager finishing line of 310/380/645, 48 HR 2 3B 40 2B 136 RBI is all I expect.

If he finishes with an isoD of .70 I will be thrilled. It's kinda shocking how few non IBB walks he has. Still, minor quibble on an otherwise spotless first season.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
Yea but he's still 5 runs better than Jose, those count: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

It's also positional adjustment LF/CF is harder than 1B, if you don't agree with the fWAR positional adjustments that's fine and the point is certainly debatable -- but Trout is a better hitter (barely, granted) than Jose and on the other facets of the game -- defense and baserunning, Trout smokes him.

I def don't think MVP is a pure WAR wankfest but Jose would have to do something truely amazing like hit 400/500/750 during September with the Sox winning 24 of 29 to make the playoffs in order to leapfrog Trout, who simply is the better all around player.

He has also played 9 more games and hits at the top of the line up on a better team. Who is hitting Abreu in when he gets in??

Trout might be the all around better players but offensive stats say they are just as good..