Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 25m

Sale on MRI reading by doctor: "I heard ‘UCL was excellent’ and I walked out. That’s all I needed to hear."

Sale was devastated talking to the media in '12, when moved to the bullpen temporarily. Extremely upbeat and positive today

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is flexor strain used as a description for any type of pain or swelling in that area? In other words, are all flexor strains similar?

I remember Rick Sutcliffe once saying that when you were told you have tendonitis, it really meant they didn't know what the problem was.

Floyd was out with a flexor strain in 2012. He came back and was really good. Then he sucked in 2013 hitting the DL with another "flexor strain" until it was determined it was much worse.

I'm probably way off, but I just think just because it is called a flexor strain, doesn't mean it is a flexor strain. Maybe flexor strains are as curable as the White Sox and Sale seem to think, and that is what Sale's injury is, while other things called the same thing ultimately weren't flexor strains and resulted in a more serious injury.

All things considered, if Chris Sale was ultimately going to have TJ surgery at some point, now is probably the best time for it to happen anyway. Not when you are paying him more, and expecting more from your team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
That is all fine and dandy, but how much medical experience does that guy have and what access does he have to Sale's medical files?

That's the thing. If it truly is a flexor strain, maybe it a week or two thing. And perhaps the other example of a flexor strain, like Gavin Floyd in 2013, really wasn't a flexor strain.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
That's the thing. If it truly is a flexor strain, maybe it a week or two thing. And perhaps the other example of a flexor strain, like Gavin Floyd in 2013, really wasn't a flexor strain.

That's exactly it. The guy finds 4 examples of guys who had flexor strains at one point that became Tommy John surgery and 1 example of a guy who did not need it but took longer to return, and he finds correlation that Sale is going to need it. That's not how this works.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
That is all fine and dandy, but how much medical experience does that guy have and what access does he have to Sale's medical files?

The fact that the team isn't doing anything extra besides rest makes me feel better about things.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)

No injuries are truly alike. A flexor strain strain can be anywhere from a grade I (mild injury) to a grade 3 (complete tear) and anywhere in between. The difference is what happened when it occurred and what they do after the rehab. If they felt an immediate pain during the game and kept trying to pitch, it could be a strain of the muscle. However if the muscle wasn't functioning properly due to the strain the ligament could have been stressed to much and had an injury as well. This is a secondary ligament injury. Thus, one lead to another.

If the muscle soreness came on after the game, it is likely soreness for over exertion and the ligament may not have been stressed because the muscle was fine during the game. This seems to be Sale's case as he has reported "usual game soreness only more so."

He is not "out of the woods" yet though. Another way that the ligament can have a secondary injury is if the muscle is not functioning properly when he returns to pitch. This is where taking the extra time helps and where many pitchers injury the previously uninjured ligament. He needs proper rest of the muscle to heal then needs to regain the strength but more important control of the muscle. The exercises needed are eccentric or negative contraction to re-teach the muscle to work properly to hold the humerus and ulna together. If the pitcher comes back too soon or hasn't had the proper rehab the previously uninjured ligament takes too much of the stress and a secondary injury can occur.

From the given scenario and the experience of the medical staff, odds are the situation will turn out fine. The key is Sale needs to be completely honest and do the work. Some pitchers want to get back earlier and aren't completely honest about the state of the muscle and go back whe it isn't ready.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Maybe no 125+ pitch counts for awhile would be a good idea. Please be minor.

THIS!!!!!!!! Every outing for him this early in the season has been 100+

to be exact... i know the bullpen is putrid...but damn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Let's face it, the experts probably were right. His motion meant an injury waiting to happen. Good luck to Sale. He could really deal a fastball when healthy.

Jesus, he didn't die greg.

And I have no idea what experts you're talking about, unless they are the self-appointed experts who say his motion is awful or scouts who say "I SEEN GUYS WITH THAT MOTION AND I KNOWS THEY GET HURT AND SALE HE GONNA GET HURT TOO WITH THAT MOTION." Most of those people don't know what to look for. Pitchers get sore and they're taking it easy with him. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Throwing overhand or side arm are not natural motions anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)

And I have no idea what experts you're talking about, unless they are the self-appointed experts who say his motion is awful or scouts who say "I SEEN GUYS WITH THAT MOTION AND I KNOWS THEY GET HURT AND SALE HE GONNA GET HURT TOO WITH THAT MOTION." Most of those people don't know what to look for. Pitchers get sore and they're taking it easy with him. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Throwing overhand or side arm are not natural motions anyways.

RIP Chris Sales

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)

Or the experts who have said "this guy has awesome mechanics, he'll never get hurt" and pitcher blows his arm out

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
THIS!!!!!!!! Every outing for him this early in the season has been 100+

to be exact... i know the bullpen is putrid...but damn.

Every outing should be 100+. This means he is pitching well.

R.I.P. Chris Sale

:lol:

Chris Rongey was talking about it the other day about Floyd's flexor strain. I can't remember word for word. Something to the effect of Floyd told him if you put you arm out palm up, if it was sore before the elbow that's good. But if it's sore past the elbow it's really bad. Something to that effect.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Can a kindly mod edit the title from stain to strain? Whomever edited it originally is making me look like a dumbass in front of all my online buddies. :(

I got you, although the marinara stain he has on his flexor also created quite a large problem as well.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...imetable-return

Still, manager Robin Ventura said there's no timetable on Sale's return, which very well could come later than May 3 — the first day Sale would be eligible to come off the disabled list.

"He's going to have to do something before he gets back," Ventura said. "We're just not going to send him out there if he hasn't thrown and we're 100-percent positive he isn't feeling good."

Whether that something is a rehab assignment, simulated game, bullpen session or otherwise has yet to be determined. Ventura said that'll have to happen within the next three days — Sale's turn in the rotation comes Wednesday — for the left-hander to come off the shelf by the end of the week or early next week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Apparently they're going to do all the work to get Sale ready to return without him going on a rehab assignment away from Cooper and Schneider.

Has played catch now a couple of times.

"He's playing catch. He's loosening up, feeling better each day," Cooper said. "We don't really have a timetable. I haven't spoken to [White Sox head athletic trainer] Herm [schneider] yet today, but we speak on the bench every night when it comes, and he's starting to feel even better as days go on."

White Sox manager Robin Ventura doesn't believe Sale will need to go on a Minor League rehab stint before he comes back, with Sale having the ability to get that work done with the White Sox. He also doesn't feel the team is taking any extra precautionary measures this time compared to the time in each of Sale's previous two years as a starter that he has been shut down.

"No. It's the same. It's the same," Ventura said. "The times before, the first time we were more cautious than anything moving him from being a starter. But having gone through it, this is just part of stuff that has happened to him before, you just want to make sure.

"He's the one that will let you know when he's feeling good enough. He'll know when he's ready."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:38 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Apparently they're going to do all the work to get Sale ready to return without him going on a rehab assignment away from Cooper and Schneider.

Has played catch now a couple of times.

"He's playing catch. He's loosening up, feeling better each day," Cooper said. "We don't really have a timetable. I haven't spoken to [White Sox head athletic trainer] Herm [schneider] yet today, but we speak on the bench every night when it comes, and he's starting to feel even better as days go on."

White Sox manager Robin Ventura doesn't believe Sale will need to go on a Minor League rehab stint before he comes back, with Sale having the ability to get that work done with the White Sox. He also doesn't feel the team is taking any extra precautionary measures this time compared to the time in each of Sale's previous two years as a starter that he has been shut down.

"No. It's the same. It's the same," Ventura said. "The times before, the first time we were more cautious than anything moving him from being a starter. But having gone through it, this is just part of stuff that has happened to him before, you just want to make sure.

"He's the one that will let you know when he's feeling good enough. He'll know when he's ready."

They are either being more cautious or it was a worse injury as last time he did not go on the DL.