Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 05:59 AM)
So true

But this pitch count thing, we’re in the American League," Cooper said. "We’re not in Little League. But nevertheless, people that bring up pitch counts are people who have nothing else to really know. And it just blows me away. They’re doing that to say, ‘God forbid if someone goes down, I told you so.’ And these are people that are not in the arena and never really played, so what kind of validity does any of that hold?

Couldn't agree with this more.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
I love when people use a bet to almost justify their over the top comments. I dont have to bet anything to realize that was incredibly " Game over man!" over the top. Have another beer and go to sleep.

Agreed. That is Meatball 101 stuff there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:46 AM)
I blame Robin for running out of pitchers, but he needs some help from Coop on pitching matters.

Yeah, these stud pitchers like Verlander and Sale and Peavy have pride and demand to stay in games.

Wait you think Cooper has no input into pitching? You can't be serious.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
What a crushing blow that would be for this city. First Rose, then the Bears' D, then Rose again, then Toews/Kane, then Garcia, and then, possibly, this.

I think there are worse things that can happen to a city than athletes of sports teams getting injured. Not trying to get this 'bustered, but holy hyperbole Batman.

2012 he was skipped because of soreness after an 88 pitch performance. Went to the bullpen one game, then back in the rotation.

2013 he was skipped after a 113 pitch performance. Was either skipped once or backed off a day and went the rest of the season.

This year is the first being Dl'd. However, considering he went down after 88 pitches one year and 113 last, I don't know how you can say it was the pitch count that did him in. As far as I know, most of the people complaining about it have zero medical training, and get their "knowledge" from others with the exact same credentials.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
2012 he was skipped because of soreness after an 88 pitch performance. Went to the bullpen one game, then back in the rotation.

2013 he was skipped after a 113 pitch performance. Was either skipped once or backed off a day and went the rest of the season.

This year is the first being Dl'd. However, considering he went down after 88 pitches one year and 113 last, I don't know how you can say it was the pitch count that did him in. As far as I know, most of the people complaining about it have zero medical training, and get their "knowledge" from others with the exact same credentials.

Exactly. We're all just supposing and assuming. But, based on history, it seems more likely that it's his throwing motion than pitch count. His motion has been a concern since...well, since forever. Sale might be the kind of pitcher that needs the breaks and/or a DL trip each year. But none of us know. We can assume and point fingers and scream all we want. All we really should be doing it hoping right now.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Exactly. We're all just supposing and assuming. But, based on history, it seems more likely that it's his throwing motion than pitch count. His motion has been a concern since...well, since forever. Sale might be the kind of pitcher that needs the breaks and/or a DL trip each year. But none of us know. We can assume and point fingers and scream all we want. All we really should be doing it hoping right now.

It's probably both. Fatigue with odd mechanics equals too much stress in a small area, which is when injuries occur.

So true

But this pitch count thing, we’re in the American League," Cooper said. "We’re not in Little League. But nevertheless, people that bring up pitch counts are people who have nothing else to really know. And it just blows me away. They’re doing that to say, ‘God forbid if someone goes down, I told you so.’ And these are people that are not in the arena and never really played, so what kind of validity does any of that hold?

Way to tell em Coop. Maybe quote of the decade from coop. People love I told you so, like a way to feel smart despite not having to earn the knowledge.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
@scottmerkin 2m

Hahn said they could have pushed Sale back and possibly had him ready for Sunday vs. TB. They weren't taking any chances

If that's the case pushing him back until you have a team ready to compete makes more sense.

So true

Not on the Coop bandwagon, but this is one hell of a correct quote.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)

If he is truly having a PRP injection, there is more than some flexor inflammation going on. This article makes me more worried than hopeful. That is not a procedure done for minor inflammation.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
If that's the case pushing him back until you have a team ready to compete makes more sense.

We've had this discussion. You cannot do that and expect to have a healthy effective pitcher. It's like not running for 6 months then deciding to run a marathon. It would not end well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
We've had this discussion. You cannot do that and expect to have a healthy effective pitcher. It's like not running for 6 months then deciding to run a marathon. It would not end well.

This is Marty, don't expect him to read refuted arguments. This damages his own arguments

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
If he is truly having a PRP injection, there is more than some flexor inflammation going on. This article makes me more worried than hopeful. That is not a procedure done for minor inflammation.

:o ; This is NOT good.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)

That isn't anything that could be done as a precaution, or to aid the healing process? I have no idea what the procedure means.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
That isn't anything that could be done as a precaution, or to aid the healing process? I have no idea what the procedure means.

PRP is platelet rich plasma. Basically, it is an attempt to take a large dose of platelets which contain the body's own healing factors and increase the amount in the injured area. They do this by taking blood from the body and spinning out the blood plasma and then injecting it into the injured area. It usually done in an area of significant damage or chronic tendonopathy. It's not normally done for mild inflammation as just the injection in the involved area will cause some inflammation and tissue damage.

Maybe it is just very conservative and overkill but that isn't the normal procedure. It could also be that since they put him on the 15 DL, they were comfortable with shutting him down for 5-7 which you would need safter this procedure. But if that's the case, it is more involved than "he could have pitched Sunday but we thought we would wait."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
PRP is platelet rich plasma. Basically, it is an attempt to take a large dose of platelets which contain the body's own healing factors and increase the amount in the injured area. They do this by taking blood from the body and spinning out the blood plasma and then injecting it into the injured area. It usually done in an area of significant damage or chronic tendonopathy. It's not normally done for mild inflammation as just the injection in the involved area will cause some inflammation and tissue damage.

Maybe it is just very conservative and overkill but that isn't the normal procedure. It could also be that since they put him on the 15 DL, they were comfortable with shutting him down for 5-7 which you would need safter this procedure. But if that's the case, it is more involved than "he could have pitched Sunday but we thought we would wait."

Thanks again!