Bernstein Column

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 31, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Boo hoo the Sox are getting national attention for once over the Cubs. Cry me a f***ing river Dickstein.

Haha considering Bernstein is a White Sox fan, this is kind of a dumb post.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
He may technically be a Sox fan, but he typically s***s all over them while constantly sucking Theo's dick and hyping up the greatness that is the Cubs rebuilding plan.

Bernstein has been a big fan of what Rick Hahn has done. It is convenient to hear what you choose to hear though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Bernstein has been a big fan of what Rick Hahn has done. It is convenient to hear what you choose to hear though.

I guess we hear different things, because from the sound of it Bernstein doesn't even watch baseball games. He simply logs onto Fangraphs and then regurgitates whatever the most Saber-centric article he can find that day. I will admit he has been less of a hater of the White Sox as of late, definitely due to Hahn, but he's hardly a true fan of the team. And IMO, he'd love to see the Cubs win a World Series because it would prove Theo and all other Saber guys are geniuses, which includes himself.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
I guess we hear different things, because from the sound of it Bernstein doesn't even watch baseball games. He simply logs onto Fangraphs and then regurgitates whatever the most Saber-centric article he can find that day. I will admit he has been less of a hater of the White Sox as of late, definitely due to Hahn, but he's hardly a true fan of the team. And IMO, he'd love to see the Cubs win a World Series because it would prove Theo and all other Saber guys are geniuses, which includes himself.

Theo already proved SABRmetrics work. 2004, 2007. Not to mention Mozeliak in St. Louis has won two also. Plus Ben Cherington's 2013 Red Sox...

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ May 31, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
Theo already proved SABRmetrics work. 2004, 2007. Not to mention Mozeliak in St. Louis has won two also. Plus Ben Cherington's 2013 Red Sox...

I'm not arguing the validity of SABRmetrics, obviously they are incredibly valuable, but they should go hand in hand with what you see from watching actual games. From what I can tell, Bernstein doesn't even watch baseball games and simply uses advanced metrics as a crutch for the bulk of his commentary. The best SABR posters on this site, Eminor3rd & cw42 to name two off the top of my head, use a blend of advanced metrics and scouting to help tell a narrative. Bernstein sounds like he goes to Fangraphs once a week, checks out the league leaders in WAR, and then argues baseball with callers exclusively using those numbers. I used to enjoy listening to Bernstein because he is a smart guy, but his "I know more about everything than everyone" ego has been his downfall and his commentary on baseball is horrendous.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Haha considering Bernstein is a White Sox fan, this is kind of a dumb post.

I don't know jack about Bernstain except he whined about Rizzo not getting the attention Abreu is. I am in California and never listen to him. As others have pointed out , he's not even comparing apples to apples unless you count that they're both 1st basemen. So on face value I don't even need to know who he is a fan of, just that the Sox get a little national attention and crying because Rizzo deserves more is ludicrous.