2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
That wasn't a very impressive qualifying group.

Wasn't really a terrible one either though. Croatia and Serbia are pretty good 2nd and 3rd teams and you'd think Scotland and Wales with their names would be capable of upsets but Belgium made it through undefeated. That's impressive, especially doing the once impossible of winning in Croatia.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't really a terrible one either though. Croatia and Serbia are pretty good 2nd and 3rd teams and you'd think Scotland and Wales with their names would be capable of upsets but Belgium made it through undefeated. That's impressive, especially doing the once impossible of winning in Croatia.

Croatia and Serbia aren't bad, but not great. Scotland, Wales, and Macedonia make for a very weak bottom half of the group. I know UEFA doesn't like to change much, but they should really change their qualification. Have the bottom 1/2 or so of the teams home-and-home each other to advance, then put teams into 7 groups of 5 for qualifying. All group winners and 5 second place teams qualify directly. Two worst second place teams home-and-home for the last spot.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Croatia and Serbia aren't bad, but not great. Scotland, Wales, and Macedonia make for a very weak bottom half of the group. I know UEFA doesn't like to change much, but they should really change their qualification. Have the bottom 1/2 or so of the teams home-and-home each other to advance, then put teams into 7 groups of 5 for qualifying. All group winners and 5 second place teams qualify directly. Two worst second place teams home-and-home for the last spot.

Seeing San Marino have to play 10-12 qualifying matches and get destroyed each and every time gets old.

Seeing San Marino have to play 10-12 qualifying matches and get destroyed each and every time gets old.

Yeah, you could give the 17 best teams (using the rankings at the time the last qualification cycle started, everybody from Spain to Serbia) a bye. The other 36 teams (Slovakia to San Marino) play home-and-home matches to advance.

Mexico goalie is having quite a game.

As bad as they were in the hex, they still only gave up 9 goals in 10 games. Of course, they only scored 7, so it's not surprising that they've had a 1-0 game followed by a game that is scoreless with under 20' left.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
As bad as they were in the hex, they still only gave up 9 goals in 10 games. Of course, they only scored 7, so it's not surprising that they've had a 1-0 game followed by a game that is scoreless with under 20' left.

As well as Ochoa has played, they still have needed to get really lucky multiple times today for it to still be 0-0.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
As well as Ochoa has played, they still have needed to get really lucky multiple times today for it to still be 0-0.

Lucky how? I thought Mexico were great value for the draw. Defended phenomenally well. Ochoa came up big. Tactics were spot on for frustrating Brazil. They had several opportunities to score themselves. It's not like they just stuck 11 men behind the ball and sat back for the draw.

Also Fred is awful. No movement whatsoever.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Lucky how? I thought Mexico were great value for the draw. Defended phenomenally well. Ochoa came up big. Tactics were spot on for frustrating Brazil. They had several opportunities to score themselves. It's not like they just stuck 11 men behind the ball and sat back for the draw.

+1

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)

Yeah, they even pushed forward and dominated play for stretches of the match. Well earned draw.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Supposed to be reevaluated tonight. Besler apparently good to go for Sunday

I hope they stick with Brooks. He did fine defensively and should be playing with tons of confidence. Plus, I don't want an injury risk in the back and be forced into another early sub like Monday.