2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
There's always stars from club play that do thrive, but we're talking about two of the best players in this generation in Messi and Ronaldo that haven't exactly fulfilled expectations in World Cup play.

As TheTruth05 said, it probably has to do with their teams. Ronaldo and Messi play on two of the most stacked club teams in the world. Their club teams are definitely better than their national teams.

Plus, when you're as big as Ronaldo and Messi and you're going to be the target for both your opposition and your home country. Ronaldo is in a less enviable position than Messi since Argentina has better talent surrounding Messi. So whatever goes wrong probably goes on your shoulders, especially if you don't play well. It's a bigger stage and there's a lot more pressure to perform.

I really wish baseball could have something similar to the World Cup. The World Baseball Classic is a joke. It's clear that the guys who participate care more about their ML career than their home country. I feel like it's almost the exact opposite in the World Cup.

Reminds me of Poland's great star Lewandowski. It's amazing how much better you play when surrounded by a superstar roster. Not as easy when surrounded by ten fellow Poles. :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England still has a good chance to get through. I think Costa Rica gets trucked in these next two games. Maybe they make them competitive, but getting a point from these last two would be as shocking as beating a Suarez-less Uruguay was.

England still has a good chance to get through. I think Costa Rica gets trucked in these next two games. Maybe they make them competitive, but getting a point from these last two would be as shocking as beating a Suarez-less Uruguay was.

I think Costa Rica can lock it down against Italy and manage a draw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Entertaining 2nd half with local favorites Colombia and Ivory Coast.

After two goals for Colombia, Gervinho had a really nice run and finished on the left hand side despite being fouled...but they couldn't quite manage to tie it in the final minutes.

It's becoming clearer how difficult it will be for a European team to win in South America. Clearly, Netherlands is the co-favorite right now, but Argentina/Colombia/Chile/Paraguay all are going to be tough to knock out in front of their home fans.

Even Mexico and Costa Rica seem to be energized playing closer to home.

Article on the enigma that is Rooney, and why he's so controversial among England's faithful.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musing...oney-is-madness

No, no they are not. At all.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Real Madrid is probably salivating at the thought of getting Suarez this summer. Better have an open wallet.

I really think he's staying at Liverpool. Just signed a new deal, young team that is only gonna get better and Champions League next season. He may move in 2015 but I think he remains this year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
I think Costa Rica can lock it down against Italy and manage a draw.

I think they could grab a goal (Campbell is awesome) but I think Italy wins 3-1. Italy does not want to have to get a result against Uruguay to advance. They are essentially in with a win today.

America para los Americanos...guess that's true. European teams dropping like flies. Uruguay is gonna knock out Italy, book it.

If Costa Rica wins Group D and Mexico is runner-up in Group A, there is the potential for a Costa Rica-Mexico quarterfinal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
If Costa Rica wins Group D and Mexico is runner-up in Group A, there is the potential for a Costa Rica-Mexico quarterfinal.

Yeah, but first gotta get past Croatia. Not gonna be easy but seems like that Brazilian weather is affecting European teams much more than American teams.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

Yeah, but first gotta get past Croatia. Not gonna be easy but seems like that Brazilin weather is affecting European teams much more than American teams.

Probably a combination of weather and travel. Even if you arrive a week or two early, having to be 5+ time zones from home really sucks. Big advantage to CONCACAF teams even though they aren't all that close to Brazil.

Switzerland was ranked 6th coming into the tourney, right?

Crazy World Cup so far. Can't wait for that Uruguay/Italy winner-take-all game. Interesting match-up. Wasn't that impressed with Italy at all watching them in the first half. Might as well have been watching the 2009/11/13 White Sox highlights.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
Switzerland was ranked 6th coming into the tourney, right?

Crazy World Cup so far. Can't wait for that Uruguay/Italy winner-take-all game. Interesting match-up. Wasn't that impressed with Italy at all watching them in the first half. Might as well have been watching the 2009/11/13 White Sox highlights.

Only if you believe those bogus rankings.