6/3 Games

GGajewski18

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
I read somebody call Saladino a non-prospect recently. The guy is hitting very respectably for a SS. Anybody think he can be a starter in the MLB?

No, most likely super utility. He's been playing some OF as of late too.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
I read somebody call Saladino a non-prospect recently. The guy is hitting very respectably for a SS. Anybody think he can be a starter in the MLB?

He was a Top Ten prospect a couple of seasons ago, when the system was REALLY weak, even compared to now.

Sure, he can make it to the big leagues, but I wouldn't compare him favorably to, say, Eduardo Escobar.

He's more likely to be the last man on the roster, in Garcia's role. Tyler brings better offense, but not the speed/range/arm. Kind of a toss-up. Versatility is a plus for both...especially being able to play OF as well as INF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 03:21 AM)
26.6% K% for Kris Bryant could stand to go significantly down. No need to rush him when he has an obvious thing to work on.

In our system that's a good K rate.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
26.6% K% for Kris Bryant could stand to go significantly down. No need to rush him when he has an obvious thing to work on.

Haha Bryant has a slash of .351/.455/.688 with an .OPS of 1.143 and 18 jacks. Just stupid good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
He was a Top Ten prospect a couple of seasons ago, when the system was REALLY weak, even compared to now.

Sure, he can make it to the big leagues, but I wouldn't compare him favorably to, say, Eduardo Escobar.

He's more likely to be the last man on the roster, in Garcia's role. Tyler brings better offense, but not the speed/range/arm. Kind of a toss-up. Versatility is a plus for both...especially being able to play OF as well as INF.

They are nothing alike.

The second bolded part is exactly why they are not alike. Curious as to why they even come up as comparisons to each other.

Saladino has a much higher upside, even as a super utility player, than what Escobar brings

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
He's a little long in the tooth for that league, though, isn't he?

Age is one thing, number of years in pro ball is another. He's right where he belongs, same as Kevan Smith.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
They are nothing alike.

The second bolded part is exactly why they are not alike. Curious as to why they even come up as comparisons to each other.

Saladino has a much higher upside, even as a super utility player, than what Escobar brings

Not referring to the HISTORICAL, fielding-only version of Escobar, but the .781 OPS, 15 doubles in 130+ ab's version.

THIS year.

Career-wise, he's at only .646, or basically what Gordon Beckham has produced the past 3 seasons, more or less. A slightly better version of Andy Gonzalez, maybe.

But, if you honestly believe Saladino can come up this season and put up those numbers, then he should be starting somewhere in the White Sox line-up on a nearly everyday basis.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
Is Sanchez competent at SS?

Last reports I saw were that he was average-ish there. But he's still young.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Lowry is looking at a rained-shortened no-no right now.

Official game - he threw a (rain-shortened) no-hitter.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
I'd like to see De Michele get called up to AA. There are two prospects in that line up. Very discouraging.

He doesn't seem to be hitting enough for that. His contact rate has improved a bit, but everything else is basically the same or worse while repeating A+.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Keon Barnum with a .889 OPS over his last 10 games. That includes a 20% K rate and a 12.5% BB rate.

Given that he's only 21, I think there's still reason to be hopeful with him.

No reason to give up on him yet, but I'm not putting a lot of stock in him either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Not referring to the HISTORICAL, fielding-only version of Escobar, but the .781 OPS, 15 doubles in 130+ ab's version.

THIS year.

Career-wise, he's at only .646, or basically what Gordon Beckham has produced the past 3 seasons, more or less. A slightly better version of Andy Gonzalez, maybe.

But, if you honestly believe Saladino can come up this season and put up those numbers, then he should be starting somewhere in the White Sox line-up on a nearly everyday basis.

So you're only referring to small sample size of Escobar? That's odd. And if you believe he is truly capable of hitting 2B at that rate (15% of the time he puts the ball in play) then that's even more odd.

By all accounts, Saladino has more power, is a better base runner, and has a better eye. Their contact skills appear to be about the same and Escobar is a much, much better defensive player. They really aren't that similar, that's why it's such a strange comp.

Even though you love putting words in people's mouths, I never said Saladino could put those numbers up this year. I do think he could be a very valuable super utility player, especially if he can learn the corner OF spots in the future.