Rodon pick big for the Sox?

harfman77

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Yes, there needs to be a little time to get pitching again. It's been a few weeks since he's pitched in a game.

I don't see a problem with offering him a chance at the Chris Sale/Jack McDowell path for this year. Let him relieve and fly through the system as long as he is getting guys out. Then be ready to start him at B'ham next year if all goes well.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Great sign (grabbed from Draft Picks threaD)

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

edit: "Great sign" meaning this is a good sign that we need not worry about getting Rodon in the fold, obviously it is a nice "signing" as well.

Surprised that got done so quickly. Awesome.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
I just wonder what Rodon gains by waiting to sign? He signs now and there is a very good chance he gets a September call-up. He waits a month to sign and he delays free agency by a lot more than a month. How much over slot does he have to get to make it worth it?

I think all he gains by not signing is a 4 yr college degree to use when his arm falls off. So I think you are on the right track, but a Sept call up might be a little premature.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
I think all he gains by not signing is a 4 yr college degree to use when his arm falls off. So I think you are on the right track, but a Sept call up might be a little premature.

But can't Boras and Rodon take out an insurance policy against future earnings...albeit a much smaller one than Max Scherzer took out when he turned down his $144 million extension offer?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)

I don't know about the news rules, but if a player does not sign and sit out school for 1 yr, he is a free agent. it

happen once that I know of, and I am sure there are more stories of other players, none of which I can remember,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
KW was pretty open about not wanting to deal with him. Pretty sure it was over the Arod negotiations

there were several more, seay, weaver and I believe a pitcher who went to pitch for the marlins when

they first came into the league. sorry, but I can't quite get the names at this point.

edit ...

it was Alex Fernandez pitcher

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
there were several more, seay, weaver and I believe a pitcher who went to pitch for the marlins when

they first came into the league. sorry, but I can't quite get the names at this point.

edit ...

it was Alex Fernandez pitcher

In 1990, Fernandez won the Dick Howser Trophy for National College Baseball player of the year while pitching at Miami-Dade Community College (MDCC). He previously played at the University of Miami before transferring to MDCC to be eligible to enter the Baseball Major League Draft.

He was drafted that year (1990) in the first round (#4). Pitched for the Marlins from 1997-2000, retired with multiple injury issues.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Great sign (grabbed from Draft Picks threaD)

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

edit: "Great sign" meaning this is a good sign that we need not worry about getting Rodon in the fold, obviously it is a nice "signing" as well.

If it's truly at slot, this could be a significant step towards enticing BMDO away from Mizzou. He's the maraschino cherry of our draft, if we can pull it off.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
If it's truly at slot, this could be a significant step towards enticing BMDO away from Mizzou. He's the maraschino cherry of our draft, if we can pull it off.

We still have to get Rodon at pretty close to slot money to have a chance at that. So far any savings we get with underslots, may be taken up by Rodon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
We still have to get Rodon at pretty close to slot money to have a chance at that. So far any savings we get with underslots, may be taken up by Rodon.

No doubt, but I think we're more worried about Rodon's demands than we should be. Offer him the Sale fast track, remind him that he could wind up with a team that's in an extended rebuild or a small market that will play arb-clock games, delaying his richness by two full years OR MORE, on top of the obvious injury risks. Then shut up, sit back, and dare Boras to give him the dumbest advice any agent ever gave.

We should get him at slot or very slightly above, if that's what it takes for them to feel like they "won" the negotiation.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)

and if we do not get to sign rodon, signing Bryce will somehow soften to bitter pill.

for anyone who knows the rules, what happen if rodon does not sign, do we get a extra pick next draft

and at what number??? I also heard we will lose the slot money

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
No doubt, but I think we're more worried about Rodon's demands than we should be. Offer him the Sale fast track, remind him that he could wind up with a team that's in an extended rebuild or a small market that will play arb-clock games, delaying his richness by two years OR MORE, on top of the obvious injury risks. Then shut up, sit back, and dare Boras to give the dumbest advice any agent ever gave.

We should get him at slot or very slightly above, if that's what it takes for them to feel like they "won" the negotiation.

I don't think that will happen. I'm guessing close to the 6.5 million that Aiken got, Maybe 6.25-6.3

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
No doubt, but I think we're more worried about Rodon's demands than we should be. Offer him the Sale fast track, remind him that he could wind up with a team that's in an extended rebuild or a small market that will play arb-clock games, delaying his richness by two years OR MORE, on top of the obvious injury risks. Then shut up, sit back, and dare Boras to give him the dumbest advice any agent ever gave.

then you really don't know borAss, for him it is about the money.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
then you really don't know borAss, for him it is about the money.

No it's about the client. He's not smelling so sweet after the Drew, Morales debacles either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't think that will happen. I'm guessing close to the 6.5 million that Aiken got, Maybe 6.25-6.3

I think it's $6.6 - 6.7M. Sox cap it around there & say "Okay we'll pay you as the best player in the draft, now sign & if you do well you'll see the bigs this year and start your clock." And that will be too good to pass up, because taking it all the way to the deadline makes it harder to get more than a couple MLB appearances before the end of the year. As it is, he signs quick, maybe he's here Sept. 1 after rosters expand. That's a whole month plus probably of MLB time & experience.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
No it's about the client. He's not smelling so sweet after the Drew, Morales debacles either.

He's f***ed up a lot over the past several years, cost his clients lots of money trying to get teams to pay above average players like superstars. Even the second ARod deal IIRC he f***ed up, and the Yankees were willing to go crazy on that. I believe ARod had to reign in those negotiations himself and he STILL got the Yanks to bid against themselves and hand out what would become the worst contract in NY Yankee history.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
I think it's $6.6 - 6.7M. Sox cap it around there & say "Okay we'll pay you as the best player in the draft, now sign & if you do well you'll see the bigs this year and start your clock." And that will be too good to pass up, because taking it all the way to the deadline makes it harder to get more than a couple MLB appearances before the end of the year. As it is, he signs quick, maybe he's here Sept. 1 after rosters expand. That's a whole month plus probably of MLB time & experience.

I am hoping 6.3M will get deal done with August bullpen call up. I think that is very fair for Bor-ASS and Rodon. I have a feeling Bor-ASS will want to wait until Kolek deal at #2 is done.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)

different situation, it is again all about the money.

drew and morales was offered 14 mil each, I believe. they thought they will get more, one borAss

advice. look at what they signed for at a prorated cost.

money..... max money

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I am hoping 6.3M will get deal done with September bullpen call up. I think that is very fair for Bor-ASS and Rodon.

Yeah $6.3M is enough, but I'm guessing he wants that respect. Just give it to him to get him here quickly, don't concern yourself with trying to afford the 2 TJ guy with s***ty mechanics and a reliever ceiling. Sox would have drafted better guys later if they felt they could get Rodon cheaply, but my guess is they drafted the way they did because they knew they were going to have to pay Rodon and weren't going to be upset about it either.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)

It's possible it will be that high but I don't think it will be quite there.

He would need to be called up before Sept 1. to get the arb clock moving. This would be what may entice Boras to sign at a lower number.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
^That said, none of this applies to the negotiations with Rodon. There's a pretty clear ceiling and trying to argue over another mil or two is pointless in the lond wrong, he should want to start the clock. If Borass believes his guy is an ace then he's looking at the arb paydays, not the signing bonus.

and while you may be right, wasn't there some rumors of rodon asking price according to his agent at

being something like 7 - 8 mil + .......

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
He's f***ed up a lot over the past several years, cost his clients lots of money trying to get teams to pay above average players like superstars. Even the second ARod deal IIRC he f***ed up, and the Yankees were willing to go crazy on that. I believe ARod had to reign in those negotiations himself and he STILL got the Yanks to bid against themselves and hand out what would become the worst contract in NY Yankee history.

The offer of a fast track should really trump a few hundred grand or even a few million, imo. The delays anywhere else could be significant, on top of the extra year. I can't envision a universe where these added risks outweigh the benefits we can offer. He has no (intelligent) leverage vs. this situation, imo - don't cave needlessly.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
It's possible it will be that high but I don't think it will be quite there.

He would need to be called up before Sept 1. to get the arb clock moving. This would be what may entice Boras to sign at a lower number.

its is a gamble and I ummmmmm like it.