2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
I agree. At worst you have two 25 year old stars to build around.

That is why I support Love (even if you did give up Noah; however, if I traded Noah the only way I would do it in that scenario is if that money was going to Melo / LBJ). Otherwise, I'm also fine with just giving up a few pieces and getting Love to go with Noah / Rose and at least now you have gotten your core team younger and extended your window (while still improving your team). However, just Love (while giving up Taj / others) probably doesn't make the Bulls that much better short-term then they were a year ago, the key truly lies on Rose. I think a team with Love / Afflalo can actually still potentially make the finals (Note: I didn't say win) with Rose not returning to superstar form and if he is above average, you have a definite shot at winning. If you are able to keep Nik and he develops, then you really are in a great position.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I don't think Bosh opts out. I'm inclined to think that his value has declined significantly due to his reduced role on the Heat. Is he going to get over $20 million a year in FA? That would surprise me at this point.

Right, and wade even more so. That's why I'm surprised. I thought they'd all opt in for one more year before this.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
PG- Rose

SG- Affalo

SF - Melo

PF- Mirotic

C- Noah

Bench one of Butler or Gibson and garage pieces.

Boom. Dream offseason.

Pretty sure Mirotic isn't starting in that scenario.

So if bulls sign melo there is like no chance mirotic can be signed. Really the only way I see him hers is if bulls strike out on all options.

Edit: guys money is a real thing. Aflallo makes 6 mill, that means Gibson is gone and butler if you have Mel.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
So if bulls sign melo there is like no chance mirotic can be signed. Really the only way I see him hers is if bulls strike out on all options.

Edit: guys money is a real thing. Aflallo makes 6 mill, that means Gibson is gone and butler if you have Mel.

I'm pretty sure the former was put to bed awhile ago, no?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)

Not true. If you sign Melo in a S&T, then you have ability to use your MLE and can bring in Mirotic with that. Afflalo at 6M can be done by using the draft picks plus some non-guaranteed guys. There are ways to be flexible despite being over the cap.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
Right, and wade even more so. That's why I'm surprised. I thought they'd all opt in for one more year before this.

I think Bosh is still valuable. I think a few teams would give him 17-18 a year or more if he was a true FA.

Wade I agree, he's lost even more value. I don't think he's worth more than 10-12 at this point. He can't hold up for an entire season and a long post season run. And he doesn't play defense anymore.

Still, the Heat could be loyal and try to get another couple of years out of them. They could opt out and sign for more years. Instead of 2 for 42, do 3 for 50-55. Then the cap numbers work out to add some flexibility.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Yeah. I'm actually 9 years old. It's a good explanation for why I have so many bad posts.

That reminded me of this...“Now, you went to four years of college and four years of medical school, so I can safely presume that you are at least eight.”

I wonder how many people will remember this quote.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
That reminded me of this...“Now, you went to four years of college and four years of medical school, so I can safely presume that you are at least eight.”

I wonder how many people will remember this quote.

Dr. Kelso to Elliot Reid.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I don't think Bosh opts out. I'm inclined to think that his value has declined significantly due to his reduced role on the Heat. Is he going to get over $20 million a year in FA? That would surprise me at this point.

I think one of the reasons he would opt out is there's some talk Heat would trade him, if he opts out they can't. They obviously can't trade a FA and if he re-signs there's a window they can't trade him (begging of next year I think?)

It will be interesting to see what Wade and Bosh do though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
John Paxson? Gar Forman?

That's BS. Granted they haven't gotten it done, and if they can't this year, it's time the Reinsdorf's reconsider their positions, but that's like saying the Sox really didn't want Tanaka last off season, so they really don't want to win.,

Getting it done and not caring are 2 very different things. I doubt you would tell John Paxson to his face he didn't care about winning if you had an opportunity.

A couple disadvantages they have is Chicago in the winter and they really can't offer any more money than other teams. But if they can't convince them, it is time to bring in someone who might.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I think one of the reasons he would opt out is there's some talk Heat would trade him, if he opts out they can't. They obviously can't trade a FA and if he re-signs there's a window they can't trade him (begging of next year I think?)

It will be interesting to see what Wade and Bosh do though.

I was reading an article which basically stated Bosh on the open market isn't getting anywhere near what he is owed, and Wade even less. LeBron opting out first really will make those 2 look like the bad guys if he doesn't return. It's a genius move.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I think Bosh is still valuable. I think a few teams would give him 17-18 a year or more if he was a true FA.

Wade I agree, he's lost even more value. I don't think he's worth more than 10-12 at this point. He can't hold up for an entire season and a long post season run. And he doesn't play defense anymore.

Still, the Heat could be loyal and try to get another couple of years out of them. They could opt out and sign for more years. Instead of 2 for 42, do 3 for 50-55. Then the cap numbers work out to add some flexibility.

Like I said before, Bosh is like the perfect plan C in case Melo and Love are off the table.

The Bulls have enough in cap space to get him outright as a FA if he opts-out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
That's BS. Granted they haven't gotten it done, and if they can't this year, it's time the Reinsdorf's reconsider their positions, but that's like saying the Sox really didn't want Tanaka last off season, so they really don't want to win.,

Getting it done and not caring are 2 very different things. I doubt you would tell John Paxson to his face he didn't care about winning if you had an opportunity.

A couple disadvantages they have is Chicago in the winter and they really can't offer any more money than other teams. But if they can't convince them, it is time to bring in someone who might.

Grr. Internet tough guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I was reading an article which basically stated Bosh on the open market isn't getting anywhere near what he is owed, and Wade even less. LeBron opting out first really will make those 2 look like the bad guys if he doesn't return. It's a genius move.

well Bosh is due 2 years 42mm, right? I don't see him getting that exactly, but I can see him getting more than 42mm over more than 2 years.

For Lebron it literally is zero risk for him to opt out (other than the extreme risk where he injures himself jet-skiing or the like). He can sign with the Heat for exactly what he opted out of, meaning 2 years with another opt out clause next year, so completely makes sense, even if he's 99% staying put.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Like I said before, Bosh is like the perfect plan C in case Melo and Love are off the table.

The Bulls have enough in cap space to get him outright as a FA if he opts-out.

Indeed. I'd then throw Taj and #19 to the Magic for Afflalo. Rose-Afflalo-Butler-Bosh-Noah looks very intriguing to me.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Indeed. I'd then throw Taj and #19 to the Magic for Afflalo. Rose-Afflalo-Butler-Bosh-Noah looks very intriguing to me.

I'd like that very much. It's not as good as Love or Melo, but it'd make us instant championship contenders again.