2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
I know to temper my excitement, but yesterday was really fun to watch despite the opponent. The team was really fluid and looked engaged from the tip.

I didn't get to see yesterday's game but I'm with you. Despite the crappy schedule, I've been very happy with what I've seen so far even though they haven't looked that great overall. I complained as much as anyone in the offseason but I'm pretty damn excited with what we have here if we stay healthy of course.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
It's hard to be a true pg when nobody around you can score. It will be interesting to see what his assist numbers are this year, assuming he plays most of the season of course.

EDIT: And I shouldn't say "true" pg as he's still going to be a score first guy but you get my point.

I feel like Kurt Thomas was the only one who truly benefitted from staying high, letting Rose drive and kick it back out. Now you see Gasol is gonna get a lot of wide open jumpers from there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
I know to temper my excitement, but yesterday was really fun to watch despite the opponent. The team was really fluid and looked engaged from the tip.

Eh, IMO Detroit is a rung above the woebegone East teams despite the early record. Not great but not an automatic walkover either. They have some talent.

I sat second row sideline last night. First time I have been even remotely that close to the floor at an NBA game and it was a blast. One thing I learned: deciding to call a charge or a block can be incredibly difficult. Derrick wasn't even one step slow and he had some circus passes, as others have noted. Pau has to get his body language in check; on one pass from Rose to his ankles, in particular, he practically rolled his eyes out of his head before getting back on D. The way the UC erupted for Big Macs is still hilarious. And Benny remains the best mascot in sports.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Eh, IMO Detroit is a rung above the woebegone East teams despite the early record. Not great but not an automatic walkover either. They have some talent.

I sat second row sideline last night. First time I have been even remotely that close to the floor at an NBA game and it was a blast. One thing I learned: deciding to call a charge or a block can be incredibly difficult. Derrick wasn't even one step slow and he had some circus passes, as others have noted. Pau has to get his body language in check; on one pass from Rose to his ankles, in particular, he practically rolled his eyes out of his head before getting back on D. The way the UC erupted for Big Macs is still hilarious. And Benny remains the best mascot in sports.

I've never been at the 100 level, really want to.

Toronto will be a big test.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I feel like Kurt Thomas was the only one who truly benefitted from staying high, letting Rose drive and kick it back out. Now you see Gasol is gonna get a lot of wide open jumpers from there.

Gasol is taylor made for this offense.

I really think Derrick has matured over the past year. When he came back last year, he was god awful. He looks like a completely different player so far this year. Still explosive, just without the bricks and turnovers of last year. Hopefully, he stays healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Gasol is taylor made for this offense.

I hope he starts making more of those wide open jumpers. He's thrown up a couple of clunkers this year shooting-wise. He was terrible against Cleveland and a big reason why we lost that game (bad shooting + no rebounding). His overall numbers on the year are decent though. He's been fairly efficient and the blocks help his defensive numbers.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I really think Derrick has matured over the past year. When he came back last year, he was god awful. He looks like a completely different player so far this year. Still explosive, just without the bricks and turnovers of last year. Hopefully, he stays healthy.

It's all in the reps for him. The more he plays the better he will be for it

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
I'm thinking the world championships time worked about as well as I would have hoped.

It was a good pre-preseason for him, I'm glad he did it. Especially because he doesn't like playing pick up in the summer

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
I hope he starts making more of those wide open jumpers. He's thrown up a couple of clunkers this year shooting-wise. He was terrible against Cleveland and a big reason why we lost that game (bad shooting + no rebounding). His overall numbers on the year are decent though. He's been fairly efficient and the blocks help his defensive numbers.

When the offense really has into garbage mode, Gasol has been the one who could create his own shot.

Actually, it really has been comforting. When the offense has run into the doldrums (i.e. when Kirk comes into the game):

1) Rose has shown he can still get a basket at will

OR

2) Gasol will iso and ole` his defenders into a basket or foul

OR

3) Jimmy will get fouled

That is 2 things we didn't have last year and 3 should have had but wasn't happenin'

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
It was a good pre-preseason for him, I'm glad he did it. Especially because he doesn't like playing pick up in the summer

And when he had some things he struggled with he then had an extra month+ to work on getting back into the routine with those things.

Now we just need him to stay on the court :pray

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
When the offense really has into garbage mode, Gasol has been the one who could create his own shot.

Actually, it really has been comforting. When the offense has run into the doldrums (i.e. when Kirk comes into the game):

1) Rose has shown he can still get a basket at will

OR

2) Gasol will iso and ole` his defenders into a basket or foul

OR

3) Jimmy will get fouled

That is 2 things we didn't have last year and 3 should have had but wasn't happenin'

#Ibelieve

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Also,

Last night watching the rebounding. I really do think 80% of this is Jo and Gibson's inability to jump.

Gibson? That guy has always been a leaper. Pau, now that I can see

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Gibson? That guy has always been a leaper. Pau, now that I can see

Gibson hurt his ankle vs. cleveland though. Last night was first time he looked more comfortable jumping at a stand still.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
I've never been at the 100 level, really want to.

Toronto will be a big test.

I've been in the 100s for the Illini game at the UC, the viewpoint difference is huge compared to the 300 lvl seats I was in a few years ago for a bulls game. I now will only really buy 100 lvl seats for games (I really only attend the UC Illini game and White Sox games in person), so worth the extra few money.

One thing I think we can say for sure is that this isn't the same "meh" return we appeared to be getting from Rose last season. It's really impressive at how relatively little rust he has when he was so off last year. You can tell he really put the work in to get back to form.

Also, at some point, Thibs might have to think about how he can get Rose and Brooks on the floor at the same time. You can't always do that, particularly due to their defense, but he ought to look for matchups that allow us to get Brooks out there without coming at a direct expense to Rose.

And - triple post - Pau looked loads better last night. I think Thibs might make a decent defender out of him yet. Offensively, he's good regardless. I love that he can make you pay when Rose drives but you can also dump it to him late in the shot clock and he can back somebody down and make his own post move.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
I've been in the 100s for the Illini game at the UC, the viewpoint difference is huge compared to the 300 lvl seats I was in a few years ago for a bulls game. I now will only really buy 100 lvl seats for games (I really only attend the UC Illini game and White Sox games in person), so worth the extra few money.

Of the major sports, I think sitting in the 10lower level is most important for basketball. Sitting in the 300 level for hockey at the UC isn't bad, but it sucks for basketball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
Also, at some point, Thibs might have to think about how he can get Rose and Brooks on the floor at the same time. You can't always do that, particularly due to their defense, but he ought to look for matchups that allow us to get Brooks out there without coming at a direct expense to Rose.

Brooks' defense has been surprisingly good to me, especially so early in the season. I think it will look even better when our bigs figure out the d a little better (/ noah gets healthy).

It really is remarkable how every year we get a vet min small point guard and see them flourish. It makes total sense to me why, but still impressive. I feel like for the 4th year in a row I'll be like "but Brooks was the best of all of them! We can't let him go!"

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
One thing I think we can say for sure is that this isn't the same "meh" return we appeared to be getting from Rose last season. It's really impressive at how relatively little rust he has when he was so off last year. You can tell he really put the work in to get back to form.

Playing the international games was a big help I bet.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

This is how I am for basketball (technically lower level is what I would say). For baseball, I am different in the sense that other then being right behind home, my favorite seats in the stadium are right behind home in the first row or so of the lower level (at most stadiums). Best view in the park is right where the announcers sit so being in that same range is just phenomenal spot to get a great view of the game.

I also will only go to like 1 basketball game a year, so easier to splurge when that is the case.