Trade for David Price?

BFirebird

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
The White Sox are not getting David Price. He would never re-sign here. You can close this thread.

we don't close threads based on the judgment that it wont happen even if that judgment is likely correct. By adding a post saying "you can close this thread", you not only bumped the thread back to the top, but you also wound up causing me to see your post and thus led to me replying to your post, bumping it to the top of the forum again.

By stating that the thread should be closed you have therefore prolonged its life.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
I really don't see proof that this is the case. In the last few years, prospects have become so overvalued that these kind of deals have become more and more rare.

And I don't know how many of you have been watching lately, but besides being a horse, David Price hasn't been all that outstanding over the last 18 months or so (he was great in the second half of last year, to his credit).

Yeah whichever team decides to give him 7 years+ and $25M+ or whatever completely ridiculous contract that will be.... we'll see what happens there. My guess is it's not going to be good 3-4 years out.

Is Bowden insane? The Rays would never do that deal. None of those 3 are top prospects, and Micah is the only one of the 3 who has looked good this year. If this was 2013's Erik Johnson, then sure it makes for a decent trade, but Erik Johnson has NO value right now.

You'd have to add like Carlos Sanchez and Nate Jones to that deal to make it happen.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)
Is Bowden insane? The Rays would never do that deal. None of those 3 are top prospects, and Micah is the only one of the 3 who has looked good this year. If this was 2013's Erik Johnson, then sure it makes for a decent trade, but Erik Johnson has NO value right now.

You'd have to add like Carlos Sanchez and Nate Jones to that deal to make it happen.

More like Tim Anderson and Montas

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
Yeah whichever team decides to give him 7 years+ and $25M+ or whatever completely ridiculous contract that will be.... we'll see what happens there. My guess is it's not going to be good 3-4 years out.

The trick is that you have to win the world series within 2-3 years if you give that deal out (esp. if you give up a draft pick to do it). If you do that, that's worth basically the entire value of the contract. If you're not in a position where he can put you over the top then you're likely correct.

I do however think the White Sox should get him, solely on the grounds that the rest of MLB should not have left handed pitching.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
The White Sox are not getting David Price. He would never re-sign here. You can close this thread.

Who cares?

For that asking price it is worth having a season and a half of David Price plus the first round pick that you will receive when he reaches FA. The market for Price is down given that teams are becoming ultra protective of their prospects. That is the reason that Price was not traded in the offseason, no one would give up what the Rays wanted so they are going to try and increase their leverage at the trade deadline this season. Every start he makes for TB lessens his value as thats one more start his new team is not getting from him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
Who cares?

For that asking price it is worth having a season and a half of David Price plus the first round pick that you will receive when he reaches FA. The market for Price is down given that teams are becoming ultra protective of their prospects. That is the reason that Price was not traded in the offseason, no one would give up what the Rays wanted so they are going to try and increase their leverage at the trade deadline this season. Every start he makes for TB lessens his value as thats one more start his new team is not getting from him.

Keep in mind, decent chance you'd get a 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
It does seem light especially considering Bowden's reputation when he was a GM. He was known for demanding ridiculous prices for his players.

He can be silly and nonchalant about it since he has no dog in the fight

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Keep in mind, decent chance you'd get a 2nd round pick.

It is surely a possibility, but odds are a team with a top 10 pick are not going shell out in excess of $20/M for a player nor will he necessarily choose to sign there. I think that the worst you can get under the new CBA is a comp pick at the end of the first round before the competitive balance round, while the team still gives up their second round pick, the team that loses the player gets a supplemental first round pick. The Mets lost their pick for signing Granderson, and that would have netted the Yankees the #30 pick, but they lost that pick for signing Ellsbury.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
Who cares?

Rick Hahn has said that he's only interested in trading for pieces that fit into the long-term plan. Price doesn't.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Rick Hahn has said that he's only interested in trading for pieces that fit into the long-term plan. Price doesn't.

If you could get Price for what Bowden is proposing, you do it and then flip him for more long term pieces in the off-season or a you get an extra first round pick next season to put into the long term plan.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
If you could get Price for what Bowden is proposing, you do it and then flip him for more long term pieces in the off-season or a you get an extra first round pick next season to put into the long term plan.

Why would Tampa trade him away for scraps and lose their opportunity at the 1st round pick?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Why would Tampa trade him away for scraps and lose their opportunity at the 1st round pick?

I have no idea, there farm system is running dry so perhaps they want some upper level players to help restock their ML roster. I probably would not do make the trade if I were them, but it they want the trade that was proposed, you take it.