Another Cuban IF Available

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
Under zero scenario, could I justify giving that much money to an unproven 19 year old.

I say yes, b/c as much as I hate to say this, I want him, but what numbers will be the bidding begin

and the numbers of yrs being thrown around. second, he can be a great fixture for many yrs to come.

has there been scouting rpts on him already? I may be wrong.

edit. made on mental corrections.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
great find, good reading.

re: Moncada, how much are the sox under in the int'l pool money?

I would love to have him regardless of the penalty of going over the limit.

Who would oppose to this move? Why?

IIRC, I think they had just under a million dollars left, but I am not positive.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
many thanks.

Actually I remembered wrong because of a bad signing number... it is actually $1.6 million left. The White Sox might actually have more international money left than anyone under the caps. Now that doesn't mean teams won't pay the tax to go over.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=3011138

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
Actually I remembered wrong because of a bad signing number... it is actually $1.6 million left. The White Sox might actually have more international money left than anyone under the caps. Now that doesn't mean teams won't pay the tax to go over.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=3011138

1.6 mil, will the sox enter the mix and spend for the talent?

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
George Ofman @georgeofman · 31m 31 minutes ago

Look for White Sox to bid high for Cuban free agent Yasmany Tomas. Power corner outfielder who knows Abreu.

https://twitter.com/georgeofman

Based on what? They didn't even attend his work out according to the press reports of who was there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Based on what? They didn't even attend his work out according to the press reports of who was there.

unless they are getting overflowing encouragement form Jose A.

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Exactly what I was wondering.

I have seen zero connection between the White Sox and Tomas. There was plenty of news about the Sox seeing Viciedo and Abreu ahead of time, and of them wanting him. I have literally seen NO stories about the Sox scouting or having interest in Tomas, besides this one.

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
I just asked George about where this came from and mentioned Abreu. It's definitely from Jose.

Interesting to know. More than anything, it excites me that Jose loves it on the southside enough to be recruiting for us already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Interesting to know. More than anything, it excites me that Jose loves it on the southside enough to be recruiting for us already.

That and the front office seems to trust him quite a bit. Good to see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I have seen zero connection between the White Sox and Tomas. There was plenty of news about the Sox seeing Viciedo and Abreu ahead of time, and of them wanting him. I have literally seen NO stories about the Sox scouting or having interest in Tomas, besides this one.

From what I understand, every team had someone at his first public showcase, but the Sox haven't been listed as being at anything since. I saw the Padres had a private workout with him, for example.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
re: Tomas, when will be the final decision be made. is there a timeline?

about any other int'l players?

IMO, some team will try to get this done before the full free agent period starts in early December so that they don't have to worry about the qualifying offer decisions, but not too much before then. They also won't want the press releases stomped by the World Series. Mid November for these international guys, that's when Abreu signed last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)
IMO, some team will try to get this done before the full free agent period starts in early December so that they don't have to worry about the qualifying offer decisions, but not too much before then. They also won't want the press releases stomped by the World Series. Mid November for these international guys, that's when Abreu signed last year.

thanks a very good point.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
great find, good reading.

re: Moncada, how much are the sox under in the int'l pool money?

I would love to have him regardless of the penalty of going over the limit.

Who would oppose to this move? Why?

The only way the Sox are players are if :

1. Moncada is not declared a FA until July

2. The Sox can get deals done with a large number July 2 prospects

3. Payroll stays around the $80-$85M range

4. The Dodgers dont want him

5. JR decides with Bud gone he is not going to be the only one sticking to the letter of the law

Moncada is a very exciting prospect, would love for the Sox to be able to nab him, though given that he is subject to the international bonus pools I have not been optimistic.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
with the couple of Cubans that just defected, any interesting players

to look for?

Jose Fernandez, a LH second baseman, is regarded by some as the best player remaining in Cuba after Abreu left. Badler ranked him #3 in his Cuban player rankings behind two guys that will seemingly never defect (Despaigne and Gouriel). Great on base skills and very good contact hitter, not a runner and defense is around average.