Another Cuban IF Available

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
story on Castillo as well....still underwhelmed

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/rusney-castillo-signs/

Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo agreed to sign with the Red Sox last night. According to a source, the deal is for six years, $72.5 million, making it the highest first-year contract ever for a Cuban player. Prior to the last year of his contract, Castillo will be able to opt into arbitration, which could take the total value of the deal even higher.

Castillo, 27, has gained 20 pounds since leaving Cuba and is now 5-foot-9, 205 pounds, with his best tool his plus-plus speed. The extra size and strength has translated into an increase in power, with some scouts now putting a 60 on his raw power after pegging him with below-average to average raw power while he was in Cuba. In games, at least while he was in Cuba, he’s more of a line-drive hitter with an aggressive hitting approach. He won a Gold Glove in Cuba in 2011-12, with the speed and reactions off the bat to profile in center field in the major leagues, even though his arm strength appears to have backed up since he left Cuba.

Castillo’s numbers were down from his usual pace in his final Cuban season in 2012-13, when he hit .274/.377/.399 in 68 games. The previous season in 2011-12, Castillo had hit .332/.395/.545 in 420 plate appearances with 16 home runs, 22 stolen bases (third in the league) in 29 tries and a league-leading 28-doubles. In 2010-11, Castillo hit .324/.373/.555 with 18 home runs in 400 trips to the plate and led Serie Nacional with 29 stolen bases in 35 attempts.

Castillo had played on the Cuban national team, though he didn’t participate in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. Since he’s 27 and has played five seasons in Cuba, Castillo’s bonus isn’t subject to the international bonus pools. Castillo is represented by Roc Nation Sports.

That contract is nuts . Hahn didn't even really consider him at all because he wasn't left-handed.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Otani can enter the draft, I think

Not anymore. He almost did out of HS. He is now playing OF and pitching and will stay in Japan until he is posted by Nippon-Ham, Yu Darvish's former club. He is probably 5 years away from the majors.

FRIDAY: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that 20 teams were in attendance for the showcase.

TUESDAY: Cuban first baseman Jozzen Cuesta and Cuban left-hander Misael Siverio will host a showcase for interested clubs on Friday in Jupiter, Fla., agent Eric Izen of the Legacy Agency tells MLBTR.

The last we heard on the 25-year-old Siverio came back in May when he was declared eligible for free agency. The 25-year-old Cuesta was, at the time, said to be awaiting clearance from Major League Baseball and the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control, but he has since been cleared by both entities and is now eligible to sign with any club. The 6’2″, 220-pound first baseman is said to possess some power and will present a younger alternative to the first basemen on the free agent market.

Reports on Siverio peg the lefty at 5’9″ tall, and while he’s not said to possess an overpowering fastball, he had drawn interest from 10 teams back in May. Siverio pitched in front of several clubs at a showcase in June, and the Yankees, Cubs and Astros were among the teams in attendance, MLBTR has learned.

Siverio posted a 3.24 ERA with 7.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 over his career in Cuba’s Serie Nacional – a span of 153 games (75 starts). More recently, he pitched in Mexico this past winter, posting a 2.45 ERA and a 36-to-10 K/BB ratio. His full statistics and some video footage can be seen at ObstructedView.net.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
several more Cubans are available.

does anyone have any info on Cuban Hurler Jorge Despaigne, beside that mlb trade

rumors have?? does the sox have anymore int'l money left?

One important thing is that he will fall under the international bonus caps, which means the Sox probably won't be a player, as the teams that are over their cap have nothing else to lose, while the Sox could lose the ability to sign an expensive player out of LA for the next year or two.

Tomas will be in the $100M range. Now, I know that this could take away from our budget, but I don't think that we can waste prime years of Sale and Abreu. I think we should go all in this offseason, sign Tomas, and make a trade involving Avisail Garcia and Carlos Sanchez for a proven #2/3 RHSP.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:32 AM)
Tomas will be in the $100M range. Now, I know that this could take away from our budget, but I don't think that we can waste prime years of Sale and Abreu. I think we should go all in this offseason, sign Tomas, and make a trade involving Avisail Garcia and Carlos Sanchez for a proven #2/3 RHSP.

I like the idea, but I doubt you could get someone like Latos for that package

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:32 AM)

I wonder what or for how many yrs?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Probably similar to the Rusney Castillo deal, although more money and more years by 10-25%.

here is a question, does anyone like it if the sox sign him or not

I really am confuse as to sign him or not. I would really love to see what people opinions

are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
So you would feel differently if you were left handed?

Doesn't matter what I think.

For the record you just had the White Sox general manager say that they didn't really pursue Rusney Castillo because he wasn't lefthanded, which probably means the same will happen for Tomas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Check your grammar. You said "Being right handed, I kind of doubt..."

The "Being right handed" modified the "I" in that sentence.

/Gradeschool

/morningmebeingajerk

me don't understand :huh

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
here is a question, does anyone like it if the sox sign him or not

I really am confuse as to sign him or not. I would really love to see what people opinions

are.

thinking about Tomas and seeing the DV experiment, does anyone think his overall hitting

is good to above good to take the risk?

I am not taking about the power numbers.

SUPPOSEDLY the SF Giants are all over Yasmani Tomas, making him the top priority of their off-season spending.

The Rangers will have a private workout for Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas at their Dominican complex on Wednesday, according to a source.

Tomas had his first open showcase yesterday at the Giants’ facility in the Dominican Republic and is at the Phillies today for a private workout. According to sources, the Rangers and Phillies were among the teams with a strong presence at Tomas’ heavily-attended Sunday showcase, while the Padres (including general manager A.J. Preller), Yankees, Diamondbacks, Giants and Mets were also well-represented.

Tomas, a 23-year-old corner outfielder, has residency in Haiti and his paperwork lined up from the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), though he is still waiting for Major League Baseball to declare him a free agent.

from baseballamerica.com

Edited by caulfield12