Another Cuban IF Available

Y2Jimmy0

You're all arguing like it's impossible to sign this kid and sign the other guys. If the Sox think this kid is worth it they can go over their pool money just like the several other teams are going to do. Despite the penalty several teams are going to do it. You have to look at it like free agency and the penalties as part of the price of getting the top talent.

If you're going to play with the big boys then sometimes you have to stop sitting at the kids table.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
You're all arguing like it's impossible to sign this kid and sign the other guys. If the Sox think this kid is worth it they can go over their pool money just like the several other teams are going to do. Despite the penalty several teams are going to do it. You have to look at it like free agency and the penalties as part of the price of getting the top talent.

If you're going to play with the big boys then sometimes you have to stop sitting at the kids table.

The Sox aren't going over the cap. They just don't do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
The Sox aren't going over the cap. They just don't do it.

The 2nd year penalties are enough that you better be getting a guy who is much more of a sure thing than your typical 17-18 year old if you're doing so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
The 2nd year penalties are enough that you better be getting a guy who is much more of a sure thing than your typical 17-18 year old if you're doing so.

Or if you do you bring in enough guys to make it worth it. If you bring in like 4 guys and pay over by enough to prevent yourself from signing anyone, nobody wins, but if you bring in 7-10 guys, then you're doing something OK.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Or if you do you bring in enough guys to make it worth it. If you bring in like 4 guys and pay over by enough to prevent yourself from signing anyone, nobody wins, but if you bring in 7-10 guys, then you're doing something OK.

Yeah, you pretty much have to do it like the Yankees do. Going a million over for a player would just be stupid. Either go all out, or stay under.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)

And then you have the question of whether it's worth it to do so that year. If we went a couple million over this year, who else would we grab if the Yankees are bringing in like 4-5 other guys?

It would be nice to have the ability to look ahead five years into the future and see 1) how many of those $15 million of prospects signed make an impact and 2) how many players in 2015 and 2016 do, when the Yankees will be limited in who they can sign.

Alas, no crystal balls.

But with the Cubs' draft, we will find out much more quickly about those "high-risk" pitchers they were able to sign by picking Schwarber so high in the first.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, maybe the mods can keep this for all Cuban players activities and change

the title.

mlb rumors http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ has mention that a Cuban catcher is trying out for mlb

teams.

according to this site, there is an age difference unless I am reading it wrong.

http://www.theootpelite.com/toe/reports/pl...ayer_44486.html

question, going over slot as the yanks did, what are the penalties for doing that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
question, going over slot as the yanks did, what are the penalties for doing that.

They are huge. To go over the limit one year you basically lose the ability to sign any pricey international FA's the next year.

Penalties With No International Draft

• 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.

• 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
They are huge. To go over the limit one year you basically lose the ability to sign any pricey international FA's the next year.

thanks for the link and info. however is there a legit source for his right age?

I wonder what would the cost be to sign him.

I think the braves just signed another catcher from cuba.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)

when mlb caught Despaigne using a false passport or birth certificate to play in mex, I was wondering

what the rules would be about him playing in the us. I figure he would go the route of Yulieski Gourriel (30),

and Frederich Cepeda (34). I believe they are not too old for a mlb contract. so I ask for the ruling from

this board, I figure there are many who would know the rules better than I.

it still would be nice to get them, I can see them not wanting to give up there citizenship.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...redo-despaigne/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...-play-in-japan/

• 1 month later...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...-baseball-star/

Story hyping Yoan/Johan Moncada as the best prospect left in Cuba...although nobody seems to know exactly where he is, faster than Castillo even, whose best tool is supposedly his speed at this point

story on Castillo as well....still underwhelmed

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/rusney-castillo-signs/

Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo agreed to sign with the Red Sox last night. According to a source, the deal is for six years, $72.5 million, making it the highest first-year contract ever for a Cuban player. Prior to the last year of his contract, Castillo will be able to opt into arbitration, which could take the total value of the deal even higher.

Castillo, 27, has gained 20 pounds since leaving Cuba and is now 5-foot-9, 205 pounds, with his best tool his plus-plus speed. The extra size and strength has translated into an increase in power, with some scouts now putting a 60 on his raw power after pegging him with below-average to average raw power while he was in Cuba. In games, at least while he was in Cuba, he’s more of a line-drive hitter with an aggressive hitting approach. He won a Gold Glove in Cuba in 2011-12, with the speed and reactions off the bat to profile in center field in the major leagues, even though his arm strength appears to have backed up since he left Cuba.

Castillo’s numbers were down from his usual pace in his final Cuban season in 2012-13, when he hit .274/.377/.399 in 68 games. The previous season in 2011-12, Castillo had hit .332/.395/.545 in 420 plate appearances with 16 home runs, 22 stolen bases (third in the league) in 29 tries and a league-leading 28-doubles. In 2010-11, Castillo hit .324/.373/.555 with 18 home runs in 400 trips to the plate and led Serie Nacional with 29 stolen bases in 35 attempts.

Castillo had played on the Cuban national team, though he didn’t participate in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. Since he’s 27 and has played five seasons in Cuba, Castillo’s bonus isn’t subject to the international bonus pools. Castillo is represented by Roc Nation Sports.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...-baseball-star/

Story hyping Yoan/Johan Moncada as the best prospect left in Cuba...although nobody seems to know exactly where he is, faster than Castillo even, whose best tool is supposedly his speed at this point

story on Castillo as well....still underwhelmed

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/rusney-castillo-signs/

Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo agreed to sign with the Red Sox last night. According to a source, the deal is for six years, $72.5 million, making it the highest first-year contract ever for a Cuban player. Prior to the last year of his contract, Castillo will be able to opt into arbitration, which could take the total value of the deal even higher.

Castillo, 27, has gained 20 pounds since leaving Cuba and is now 5-foot-9, 205 pounds, with his best tool his plus-plus speed. The extra size and strength has translated into an increase in power, with some scouts now putting a 60 on his raw power after pegging him with below-average to average raw power while he was in Cuba. In games, at least while he was in Cuba, he’s more of a line-drive hitter with an aggressive hitting approach. He won a Gold Glove in Cuba in 2011-12, with the speed and reactions off the bat to profile in center field in the major leagues, even though his arm strength appears to have backed up since he left Cuba.

Castillo’s numbers were down from his usual pace in his final Cuban season in 2012-13, when he hit .274/.377/.399 in 68 games. The previous season in 2011-12, Castillo had hit .332/.395/.545 in 420 plate appearances with 16 home runs, 22 stolen bases (third in the league) in 29 tries and a league-leading 28-doubles. In 2010-11, Castillo hit .324/.373/.555 with 18 home runs in 400 trips to the plate and led Serie Nacional with 29 stolen bases in 35 attempts.

Castillo had played on the Cuban national team, though he didn’t participate in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. Since he’s 27 and has played five seasons in Cuba, Castillo’s bonus isn’t subject to the international bonus pools. Castillo is represented by Roc Nation Sports.

I am no expert nor am I privy to any inside info. with that, here is 1 Cuban I am waiting for Yasmani Tomas, OF.

I really hope the sox outbid all for him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...as-leaves-cuba/

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
ahhh now for the Asian market he is another name I been looking at

Shintaro Fujinami, a 19 yr pitcher.

Both those guys are young and very intriguing. Their numbers are very nice in Japan considering both just turned 20.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 04:58 AM)
Otani can enter the draft, I think

you guys prob know a lot more than I, so I will always give way to your knowledge.

however for this 2 kids, I always thought they have to wait. what intrigue me was that

their rep in newspaper articles back in june was mentioning that they will try going the US

route.

again, I don't know, when I read about them trying the US route this winter, I save their names.

Edited by LDF