Another Cuban IF Available

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
fangraph has an article on hit tools and with Tomas. good reading.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-the-hit-tool-pt-6/

thanks for the link enjoy fangraphs but that was just sorta a confusing article imo.

The hit tool should be simply defined as the ability to hit to all fields for average in games. It doesn't really matter how you get there.

Now, obviously there is a subjective element of "speed through the hitting zone" but a guy like Adam Eaton probably has below average bat speed all things considered but because he can spray the ball all over and run, he has a very good hit tool. A guy like Dayan is quick through the zone with oomph but his timing is so awful he can't hit for any average. His hit tool is below average but he has above average bat speed. The anti-Eaton.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 03:49 AM)
thanks for the link enjoy fangraphs but that was just sorta a confusing article imo.

The hit tool should be simply defined as the ability to hit to all fields for average in games. It doesn't really matter how you get there.

Now, obviously there is a subjective element of "speed through the hitting zone" but a guy like Adam Eaton

probably has below average bat speed all things considered but because he can spray the ball all over and run,

he has a very good hit tool. A guy like Dayan is quick through the zone with oomph but his timing is so awful he can't hit for any average. His hit tool is below average but he has above average bat speed. The anti-Eaton.

confusing, hell yeah. but I am not a stat guy, I thought the stat guys would say things

and I may pick up the pieces.

for me and I am just basing this on imo, but DV problem seems to me that he can't

pick up the pitches or the kind of pitches when it leaves the pitchers hand.

maybe he needs glasses like Flowers.

Edited by LDF

Now, obviously there is a subjective element of "speed through the hitting zone" but a guy like Adam Eaton probably has below average bat speed all things considered but because he can spray the ball all over and run, he has a very good hit tool. A guy like Dayan is quick through the zone with oomph but his timing is so awful he can't hit for any average. His hit tool is below average but he has above average bat speed. The anti-Eaton.

The bat does tend to get through the zone quicker when it isn't contacting the ball.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
i am a little confuse. would you rather sign Tomas or Fernandez?

Here is a snippet from BA on Jose Fernandez, who's whereabouts are currently unknown:

"During the 2013-14 season playing for Matanzas in Serie Nacional, the 5-foot-10, 185-pound Fernandez hit .326/.482/.456 with 65 walks and 10 strikeouts in 314 plate appearances, ranking second in the league in OBP. This season, which started in September, Fernandez was off to a .315/.415/.426 start with only one strikeout in 65 plate appearances."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...jose-fernandez/

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Here is a snippet from BA on Jose Fernandez, who's whereabouts are currently unknown:

"During the 2013-14 season playing for Matanzas in Serie Nacional, the 5-foot-10, 185-pound Fernandez hit .326/.482/.456 with 65 walks and 10 strikeouts in 314 plate appearances, ranking second in the league in OBP. This season, which started in September, Fernandez was off to a .315/.415/.426 start with only one strikeout in 65 plate appearances."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...jose-fernandez/

seeing how he is 26, left handed and plays second base I wouldn't be against the sox going after him and utilizing their substantial depth at MI to make a deal. I would prefer they keep Semien and break him in as the UTL role and platoon partner with Conor at 3B ideally taking over at SS or 3B if Conor falters or if Alexei gets traded. That frees up Micah, Sanchez and if the right deal came along Anderson to be moved.

Eaton

Semien

Fernandez

In front of Abreu really excites

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
seeing how he is 26, left handed and plays second base I wouldn't be against the sox going after him and utilizing their substantial depth at MI to make a deal. I would prefer they keep Semien and break him in as the UTL role and platoon partner with Conor at 3B ideally taking over at SS or 3B if Conor falters or if Alexei gets traded. That frees up Micah, Sanchez and if the right deal came along Anderson to be moved.

Eaton

Semien

Fernandez

In front of Abreu really excites

We'll see how well Rusney Castillo does.

The Dodgers signed a couple of Cubans for the middle infield (in the $20-30 million range) and neither of them have made an impact yet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:31 AM)
We'll see how well Rusney Castillo does.

The Dodgers signed a couple of Cubans for the middle infield (in the $20-30 million range) and neither of them have made an impact yet.

I forgot where I read that some teams were not too high on Castillo hitting. I even

can imagine on how some org thought of the same about Jose A. look at the

success of Jose A and this is why I am thinking that Bos overreacted in signing

Castillo.

the sox were not even in the slightest interested in him.

nah don't get me wrong, I hope he does well. but not against the sox.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
So is it safe to assume Fernandez negotiations will start off with Castillo's contract and go from there?

if Fernandez is available. I hate to say this but you are right with the contract starting

at his contract numbers.

I wonder what people think his upside is?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
To be fair, we don't even know for sure that Fernandez has defected.

So, for now, its just assumed Fernandez has defected. Thanks for clarifying.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
if Fernandez is available. I hate to say this but you are right with the contract starting

at his contract numbers.

I wonder what people think his upside is?

Not sure about his upside but I'm curious myself. I like that he's a contact hitter that strikes out very little.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
So, for now, its just assumed Fernandez has defected. Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure about his upside but I'm curious myself. I like that he's a contact hitter that strikes out very little.

I wonder if he can play in the outfield.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 06:09 AM)
I wonder if he can play in the outfield.

Its doubtful given that he does not have good speed and is not really thought of as a good defender at all. Though with him at 2B, it would give the Sox a chance to turn Micah into Carl Crawford when he was young.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Its doubtful given that he does not have good speed and is not really thought of as

a good defender at all. Though with him at 2B, it would give the Sox a chance to

turn Micah into Carl Crawford when he was young.

interesting thought. for what its worth, I have concerns with his

arm.

• 2 weeks later...