2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)
you know, this is going to be a tricky draft. as of right now, as the sox system stands, pitching is outstanding, with more than enuf to field maybe 2 teams.

so i am really looking at the positional players. there are 2 catchers that i like but mostly all positional players. BPA.... that is a phrase that i am having heartburn over. sometimes and with this draft, i just don't know. outside the 1 rnd. i do not know about any other pitchers, mostly HS kids.

There is no such thing as "too much pitching." Pitching is always tradeable. If we have 7 MLB ready starters and we need to restock the lineup, either there's money available or that trade writes itself.

If everyone else stays healthy and Rodon is in the rotation, then within a year or so we should be staring multiple top level trade candidates that we could use to fill in whatever gap we have. That is fine.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
There is no such thing as "too much pitching." Pitching is always tradeable. If we have 7 MLB ready starters and we need to restock the lineup, either there's money available or that trade writes itself.

If everyone else stays healthy and Rodon is in the rotation, then within a year or so we should be staring multiple top level trade candidates that we could use to fill in whatever gap we have. That is fine.

Very true and I hope they have this philosophy for the first 5-7 rounds, but I wouldn't mind seeing them drafting some high ceiling/big bonus high school position players outside of the first 10 rounds. Much like they did last year with Bryce Montes de Oca but with a position player instead.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
Very true and I hope they have this philosophy for the first 5-7 rounds, but I wouldn't mind seeing them drafting some high ceiling/big bonus high school position players outside of the first 10 rounds. Much like they did last year with Bryce Montes de Oca but with a position player instead.

Unfortunately though the only way the sox are likely to be in position to sign a big bonus guy outside the top 10 next year is if they pull off a solidly under slot 1st round pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 01:23 AM)

nice post. with some of it, i agree. re BPA, i am going to step back from this one. i am really having a difficult time trying to express my thoughts. i just can't seem explain what i am trying to say.

re: Rodon and other sp's. there is a big need to restock the system. trading sp's for those positional players, esp at catching and 3b, i don't see the sox getting full value of the trade, esp if player "A" is the player that best fits the sox needs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:02 AM)
Watched Fulmer again tonight. He put up great numbers again, but his velocity was around 90-92 all night after being 94-95 last week. That raises some warning signs regarding his ability to pitch every 5 days.

i totally agree. but, i play the devils advocate, he is only 1 yr removed as a closer. maybe he needs more rep as a starter.

that is why on the college level i have a hard time getting overly excited on closer converted starters. i know i have to throw Montas in there as well.

btw, how was Fulmer's secondary pitches?? any mention of them?

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)

They won't have the money to do this unless they go way under slot in round 1.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:48 AM)
They won't have the money to do this unless they go way under slot in round 1.

I'm not an expert with the draft allocations but with the rash of injuries to the top of the draft it's feasible that the Sox could draft one of the injured prospects for a modest discount of $500k or so and use that to throw at a higher ceiling prep position player in the later rounds. I'm sure it's not likely but there are scenarios where it could happen.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm not an expert with the draft allocations but with the rash of injuries to the top of the draft it's feasible that the Sox could draft one of the injured prospects for a modest discount of $500k or so and use that to throw at a higher ceiling prep position player in the later rounds. I'm sure it's not likely but there are scenarios where it could happen.

No

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
I just came here to post this. I love that Kiley McDaniel works for Fangraphs now. Such great stuff.

yeah i am surprised, esp in what was said about the sox info. you know me, anything on the sox, i am going to look to.

that 1 thing that is striking me and what was written here is, the rumors of who was picking after the Bos and some team pegged to Fulmer.

now i was reading Scout web site, they mention Fulmer and about his size, he injury to start the season, his inability to pitch back to back games with consistences. this is the major point i am mentioning, some pro scouts likes what he has, and they are in the mindset that he might go back to the pen in the next level, if he can perfect his secondary pitches.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 12:12 AM)
Ian Happ is someone that I would like the Sox to pick. Would be a good fit to take over for Melky when his deal is done.

as far as i am concern and of the opinion, Anderson is the sox SS of the future, until told otherwise. i like several pitchers, but they will be gone. the 2 SS at the college level are touted to hold SS if needed but is seen as moving to another position in the infield.

so looking at the preseason list of players i like, i really wanted to remember why i like Happ. well either way, since last week, they, am i am guessing his team has been playing in different situations. partly b/c the college pitchers are really not pitching to him.

as of today, some scouts came out and mention in passing, that Happ, to improve his profile has been taking to the 3b. the word is, he can definitely play that position as well as 2b. he can play both corner outfield but is a little rugged in cf.

so Happ, the best college overall hitter who can play 3b, ranked below david thompson in the power for 3b. i can see the sox grabbing him.

why not, if the best SP's are not there.

Considering our Sox won't have 2nd or 3rd round picks to burn, and their earliest pick after #8 will be #112, I don't like taking an injured prospect in hopes of getting extra money to sign prep players later on considering the lack of talent available to us. I'd rather take yet another safer college prospect (either RHP or best bat available). These top 10 talents that fit this include RHP Walker Buehler out of Vandy, RHP Kyle Funkhouser out of L-Ville, SS Dansy Swanson out of Vandy, RHP Carson Fulmer out of Vandy, and 2B Alex Bregman out of LSU (I would have been all over Michael Matuella a lanky RHP out of Duke if his health was fine (Tommy John, spine issues)). Odds are that most if not all of those pitchers mentioned are gone and Swanson is still available along with Bregman. If it came down to it I'd go Swanson

Early ChiSox Mock:

1.8. Dansby Swanson, SS, Vandy (strong armed, top of the lineup type speedy contact hitter)

4.112. Rhett Wiseman, LF, Vandy (strong armed, defensive, contact hitting lefty)

5.142. Grayson Long, RHP, TAMU (Big, ground ball reliever)

6.172. Tyrone Perry, 1B, FL-HS (6'1" 260 lb. power hitting lefty 1B)

7.202. Elih Marrero, C, FL-HS (son of former MLBer, may move to OF, speedy contact hitter)

8.232. Alec Rash, RHP, Mizzou (Large power throwing righty)

9.262. Lucius Fox, SS, FL-HS (athletic, speedy, slender, defensive switch hitter)

10.292. Korey Dunbar, C, UNC (defensive catcher, with a very strong arm)

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 04:04 AM)
Considering our Sox won't have 2nd or 3rd round picks to burn, and their earliest pick after #8 will be #112, I don't like taking an injured prospect in hopes of getting extra money to sign prep players later on considering the lack of talent available to us. I'd rather take yet another safer college prospect (either RHP or best bat available). These top 10 talents that fit this include RHP Walker Buehler out of Vandy, RHP Kyle Funkhouser out of L-Ville, SS Dansy Swanson out of Vandy, RHP Carson Fulmer out of Vandy, and 2B Alex Bregman out of LSU (I would have been all over Michael Matuella a lanky RHP out of Duke if his health was fine (Tommy John, spine issues)). Odds are that most if not all of those pitchers mentioned are gone and Swanson is still available along with Bregman. If it came down to it I'd go Swanson

Early ChiSox Mock:

1.8. Dansby Swanson, SS, Vandy (strong armed, top of the lineup type speedy contact hitter)

4.112. Rhett Wiseman, LF, Vandy (strong armed, defensive, contact hitting lefty)

5.142. Grayson Long, RHP, TAMU (Big, ground ball reliever)

6.172. Tyrone Perry, 1B, FL-HS (6'1" 260 lb. power hitting lefty 1B)

7.202. Elih Marrero, C, FL-HS (son of former MLBer, may move to OF, speedy contact hitter)

8.232. Alec Rash, RHP, Mizzou (Large power throwing righty)

9.262. Lucius Fox, SS, FL-HS (athletic, speedy, slender, defensive switch hitter)

10.292. Korey Dunbar, C, UNC (defensive catcher, with a very strong arm)

great job.... a big question, do you think Wiseman and Long would drop that much. getting Swanson would make this draft extremely nice, if the sox can pick him. what are your thoughts on the 3 positional players from Arz, Newman, Scott Kingery, Dalbec ???

Edited by LDF