2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
This will be something interesting to watch going forward. JR toed the line when Bud was commissioner as his friend and ally, but with Bud stepping down and some adversity between JR and the new commish already it will be interesting to see if he stays as committed to the spirit of the rules as he did before.

with Bud being his friend. I really don't think that was the problem. it was

the whole David Wilder debacle. I suspected and was confirmed by some

friends that the sox and JR put themselves in a penalty where they didn't

look to the south of the border for prospects for a while.

think about it, Aroldis Chapman avail and the sox had little to no interest?

nah it was self impose penalty to hide, to take it out the public view.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
Sort of.

It is a combination of him being very good, but also coming off arm surgery and therefore having greater value on the need to prove something first for a bigger payday. That's one of the classic scenarios for a very good prep arm to go to college.

Let's put it this way. Because of the fears about his relatively recent surgery, he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder. So maybe he was more like 5th round. For his scenario, there's a potential for a much bigger payout if he goes to OU and rocks the house for a few years, potentially being a 1st rounder.

For most teams, knowing he was looking for 1st round money (or close to that anyway), but not willing to take him in the 1st or even 2nd round, they let him go. The White Sox then took him in a late round, essentially as the backup plan for Rodon (and also sending a signal of interest as a side effect). If they had issues with Rodon and/or others, they'd lose the slot money, but have more of the potential past-slot pool money available (remember Rodon was over slot, as were others they drafted) and maybe, maybe, be able to entice De Oca to sign. He was the backup plan. I'm sure they probably made him a token 100k offer just in case he bit, but that's all they could do.

So it isn't just because he was so good - it was because he was so good and had extra risk.

extremely, very good. you were / are spot on esp as a backup plan for

Rodon and his agent. as I said the sox had ear marked 1 mil for signing

him if Rodon didn't sign. also there was hope that there would be some

money if Rodon agent didn't get greedy.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)
If Montes de Oca was so good, he would of gotten drafted in the first 10 rounds.

He's in high school and has had arm issues already. You don't pass on a guy like

Rodon because of money issues.

he didn't have a chance to show that his arm was ready to start

pitching. hence the apprehension of not only drafting him but

signing him as well.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
with Bud being his friend. I really don't think that was the problem. it was

the whole David Wilder debacle. I suspected and was confirmed by some

friends that the sox and JR put themselves in a penalty where they didn't

look to the south of the border for prospects for a while.

think about it, Aroldis Chapman avail and the sox had little to no interest?

nah it was self impose penalty to hide, to take it out the public view.

I am not only speaking about the LA market, as the Wilder thing obviously had an impact, but also of the draft in general. JR was one of the few owners who always seemed to really adhere to the recommended slots that MLB provided in the draft. JR has held the Sox pretty close to the letter of the law.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
I am not only speaking about the LA market, as the Wilder thing obviously had an impact, but also of the draft in general. JR was one of the few owners who always seemed to really adhere to the recommended slots that MLB provided in the draft. JR has held the Sox pretty close to the letter of the law.

And he doesn't treat amateur signings and ML signings as a different budget. The money that could have (should have) been allocated to the system for years was instead being spent on the Juan Pierre's of the world in an attempt to race to .500 records. This organization was run really poorly in some of the years since 2005.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
I am not only speaking about the LA market, as the Wilder thing obviously had

an impact, but also of the draft in general. JR was one of the few owners who

always seemed to really adhere to the recommended slots that MLB provided

in the draft. JR has held the Sox pretty close to the letter of the law.

i some what agree with you with ref to JR. I have always been a backer

of him since before 2002. i defended him on this site as it seems forever.

i am saying this as to show that i do not wear blinders about him. with

the wilder incident, it appears to me that he needed to walk on thin paper,

or else get accuse of friends with Bud and his influence. this did happened.

the other part is as i said, KW reign. and their lack of knowledge in how

to conduct a draft.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
And he doesn't treat amateur signings and ML signings as a different budget. The money that could have (should have) been allocated to the system for years was instead being spent on the Juan Pierre's of the world in an attempt to race to .500 records. This organization was run really poorly in some of the years since 2005.

that is not JR's doing, but the gm.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 03:23 AM)
My first 2 picks, I'd love either Fulmer/Bickford at 8 and Duggar/Orimoloye in round 2.

well based on this list, i still think Fulmer will still be a reliever on the next level. on

Bickford, at 8, i will pick him there. this is the problem i am having, Bickford should

be higher. i still like Happ at 8.

at the second rd, yeah i like Orimoloye as you have, but if Tucker / Stewart / Barker are

there at the second rd, i would pick any of them.

now is what i would like to figure out the strategy the sox would employ. pitching or

hitter. i still think it will be a college player instead of high schooler.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 04:47 AM)
We get Daz Cameron then eventually trade him for Nicholas Konerko.

I was waiting for someone to make the joke. I'm sure it wouldn't matter but doesn't Mike Cameron hate the White Sox organization? Is hate too strong of a word? I remember his 4 HR game and him talking about it because he never wanted to be traded.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
I was waiting for someone to make the joke. I'm sure it wouldn't matter but doesn't Mike Cameron hate the White Sox organization? Is hate too strong of a word? I remember his 4 HR game and him talking about it because he never wanted to be traded.

Sounds like he's over it, especially because he thinks Paulie is a HoF.

"That was a bad deal," he said, referring to the circumstances, not the deal itself. "I found out in winter ball in the Dominican, and I never got a call from anybody in that office. I never heard from anybody. I found out when I saw my name go across the screen on CNN, and my agent called and told me I had been traded.

"I resented it for a while. I grew out of it after a little bit, but I tried to make my case every time I played against the White Sox. And I did a lot of damage against them. Of any team I faced in my career, I think I did the most damage against the White Sox. Every time I showed up at that place …"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0927-story.html

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
Obviously BPA for this camper, but like others here, hoping one of the two lefty sluggers with potential for manning LF becomes that BPA, or can be reasonably justified at pick 8.

BPA in theory is a good idea if the team is stacked, but the sox system is lacking and have

plenty of holes that needs to be fixed.

i can see the sox taking a college player in the first rd and the rest of the draft will addressed

their agreed breakdown of the teams needs.

outside the top 5 players of the draft, in my opinion, the talent of players is not as strong as

past draft. however there are a lot of HS'ers who can really help the systems.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
BPA in theory is a good idea if the team is stacked, but the sox system is lacking and have

i can see the sox taking a college player in the first rd and the rest of the draft will addressed

outside the top 5 players of the draft, in my opinion, the talent of players is not as strong as

This is totally backwards. "We have lots of holes. We shouldn't take BPA because we don't have a hole".

What?

You always, always, always, always take what you think is the best player available in round 1. You can take positions you think you're weak at in other rounds to try to add depth, but in round 1 you take the best player available. Examples? The LA Angels took this random CF named Mike Trout when they had like 6 CFs on their roster being paid like $200 million. The White Sox had no room for a starting pitcher when they drafted Chris Sale, to the point they stupidly put him in the bullpen for a season. I think both those teams are content that they took what they felt was BPA.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)

You've got it backwards, when you have a weak system you try to add as much talent as possible, regardless of where they play, your team has a low talent level and drafting specifically for a position, like a closer for example, will not put you over the top.

When you're one or two guys away from a playoff/title run, then you draft for specific positions, to shore up your depth... i.e. taking a MLB ready lefty reliever because you need one now even if you have to overdraft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 01:48 AM)
This is totally backwards. "We have lots of holes. We shouldn't take BPA because we don't have a hole".

What?

You always, always, always, always take what you think is the best player available in round 1. You can take positions you think you're weak at in other rounds to try to add depth, but in round 1 you take the best player available. Examples? The LA Angels took this random CF named Mike Trout when they had like 6 CFs on their roster being paid like $200 million. The White Sox had no room for a starting pitcher when they drafted Chris Sale, to the point they stupidly put him in the bullpen for a season. I think both those teams are content that they took what they felt was BPA.

thanks for your response and i will keep my response on your parameters.

RD 1 of this draft has a very good list of players between 1-5. after that the list of players are

good. 2015 has a really nice, huge group of HS'ers. where the sox is drafting, #8, according to

this last mock, i wouldn't like to draft a RP/CL. i will pick the best player the pitcher, Bickford.

now is the question, what is the draft strategy that the sox FO agreed to. is it pitching, hitting?

is it HS or college rt? will it be based on positional demands?

many yrs ago KW have said the sox are in a state of flux. the sox can not go and use a first

rd on a HS player b/c of the yrs of development.

so if this yr draft, if the elite player of the draft are gone, address the most glaring holes, which

would have been identified by the FO, however i prob needed to add, i do not think a RP/CL is

the most needed. for me, it would have been the outfield, a player who can hit and if lucky a Lefty.

Now to your example. Trout, how many teams passed on him? it is again hind-sight. someone in

the LAA saw something in him that was special and drafted him. The same can be said with the

sox and Sale.

again thanks for asking me to explain.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)
You've got it backwards, when you have a weak system you try to add as much talent as possible, regardless of where they play, your team has a low talent level and drafting specifically for a position, like a closer for example, will not put you over the top.

When you're one or two guys away from a playoff/title run, then you draft for specific positions, to shore up your depth... i.e. taking a MLB ready lefty reliever because you need one now even if you have to overdraft.

i may have my statement backward but i have said pretty much that same as your explanation.

i never said draft for a specific position. i said that the system, the sox system is lacking, they

have plenty of holes.