2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
Part of me is really hoping Mautella slips, like Rodon did, but even farther.

Wasn't Anthony Rendon projected as a first overall pick in 2011 then fell?

Yeah, I want that.

Rendon got hurt, though. A pitcher slipping because of injury is scarier than a position player doing the same,

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
Part of me is really hoping Mautella slips, like Rodon did, but even farther.

Wasn't Anthony Rendon projected as a first overall pick in 2011 then fell?

Yeah, I want that.

picking at #8, all the main favorites will be gone. Mautella would be my

#! pick overall followed closely by Rogers - ss / high school. too much of

a talent to pass by.

then there is a group of exciting players of all positions. the thing that I am

wondering is, what unknown prospects will come out of no where to move

into the top 10 ...... that is the exciting part.

but crap, too bad Mautella will be gone.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Rendon got hurt, though. A pitcher slipping because of injury is scarier than a position player doing the same,

But then someone like Trea Turner who was a projected Top 5 pick slipped without injury.

Like if Mautella has a "drop off" like Rodon had plus + a couple prospects appear out of nowhere (ex. Aiken), I'd be so crazily ecstatic.

It was thought impossible Rodon would end up at 3 and he was one of the most hyped prospects of all time.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)

Thanks for the new mock LDF.

I can't see the Sox taking another 2B from Georgia with the #8 pick though. :P Especially Picking Swanson over Cameron or Bickford? Its early and ya never know but I'm at a loss with that one.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
If Bickford is available at 8 - we sure as hell better be taking him.

I agree if any of the top arms fall, I'm sure the sox will scoop them up. Bickford at 8 would be a great get.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:57 AM)
Thanks for the new mock LDF.

I can't see the Sox taking another 2B from Georgia with the #8 pick though. :P Especially Picking Swanson over Cameron or Bickford? Its early and ya never know but I'm at a loss with that one.

I know what you mean. this site is usually decent with their info and mock draft

selections. when I was reading I started to think that this author had his head

up a skunk arse. the sox picking a hs ss over 1 of the draft top college arms.

well I like what this mock did, got me thinking and trying to figure out more of

the players profile.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
I know what you mean. this site is usually decent with their info and mock draft

selections. when I was reading I started to think that this author had his head

up a skunk arse. the sox picking a hs ss over 1 of the draft top college arms.

well I like what this mock did, got me thinking and trying to figure out more of

the players profile.

Haha, love the skunks arse comment, good stuff right there. I take the the mocks with a grain of salt at this point since there's a season to be played before the draft. I just like reading the mocks because it gets me familiar with kids I've not heard of yet. Plus, its kinda fun watching names move up and down the list.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
Haha, love the skunks arse comment, good stuff right there. I take the the mocks with a grain of salt at this point since there's a season to be played before the draft. I just like reading the mocks because it gets me familiar with kids I've not heard of yet. Plus, its kinda fun watching names move up and down the list.

plus I am getting into the what if game that I hate.

what if Aiken has a decent season, not a great one. does the sox draft him

if he is there at #8??? or should the sox go for DJ stewart or Ian Happ???

here is another one. what if Kirby, aiken, stewart and happ are all there, who

should the sox pick????

ohhh how I hate the what if game. but in this, this is not a bad question. lol.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
plus I am getting into the what if game that I hate.

what if Aiken has a decent season, not a great one. does the sox draft him

if he is there at #8??? or should the sox go for DJ stewart or Ian Happ???

here is another one. what if Kirby, aiken, stewart and happ are all there, who

should the sox pick????

ohhh how I hate the what if game. but in this, this is not a bad question. lol.

Aiken easily in my opinion, especially if his medicals check out.

To go to the mock that you posted, I do also like this site, but if Bickford is available, you take him no matter what. In that situation, its like Rodon, you don't pass on him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)
1. Aiken easily in my opinion, especially if his medicals check out.

To go to the mock that you posted, I do also like this site, but if 2. Bickford is available, you take him no matter what.

In that situation, its like Rodon, you don't pass on him.

ref:

1. there are some major questions like > who else is on the board???

2. Wow Bickford, what a major arm to add next to Rodon.

so in essence you will take a arm over a batter?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
ref:

1. there are some major questions like > who else is on the board???

2. Wow Bickford, what a major arm to add next to Rodon.

so in essence you will take a arm over a batter?

Yes, I would take Bickford over a bat because pitchers are per say easier to develop. Bickford could theoretically be ready right away, barring injury or bad season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 12:33 AM)
Yes, I would take Bickford over a bat because pitchers are per say easier to develop. Bickford could theoretically be ready right away, barring injury or bad season.

Bickford over an 20-20 or 30-30 kind of a batter..... ummmm I really

need to see his results next season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)
Aiken easily in my opinion, especially if his medicals check out.

To go to the mock that you posted, I do also like this site, but if Bickford is available, you take him no matter what. In that situation, its like Rodon, you don't pass on him.

here is where you and I will disagree again. lol

I would not have taken Rodon. while his talent is hard to avoid, it was his

salary demands that I didn't like.

I would have taken Nola or Freeland. both great promising pitchers. that would

developed a domino effect. more money available for signing and maybe even

drafting a couple of different players b/c of salary constraints. 1 extra signing would

have been Bryce Montes de Oca, another Montas in my opinion.

but it was not meant to be.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)

Bickford will not be available. If by some chance he is, Rick Hahn will run to the podium himself if he is in attendance.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
here is where you and I will disagree again. lol

I would not have taken Rodon. while his talent is hard to avoid, it was his

salary demands that I didn't like.

I would have taken Nola or Freeland. both great promising pitchers. that would

developed a domino effect. more money available for signing and maybe even

drafting a couple of different players b/c of salary constraints. 1 extra signing would

have been Bryce Montes de Oca, another Montas in my opinion.

but it was not meant to be.

If Montes de Oca was so good, he would of gotten drafted in the first 10 rounds. He's in high school and has had arm issues already. You don't pass on a guy like Rodon because of money issues.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
If Montes de Oca was so good, he would of gotten drafted in the first 10 rounds. He's in high school and has had arm issues already. You don't pass on a guy like Rodon because of money issues.

Montes De Oca is on the mend post Tommy John but I think there was signability issues with him. I could be wrong but I think he was committed to going to college so there was signability concerns which caused his stock to fall pretty far.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)

yes he was a hs pitcher who had elbow surgery. the other part was he was asking

for huge money. the sox had ear mark 1 mil for him, if the signing of Rodon did not

go thru. Rodon agent wanted over slot money and took all that was left.

here is the article

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/787...sox-in-round-14

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)

No, BECAUSE Montes De Oca was so good, he didn't get drafted in the first 10 rounds.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)
I would love to do something like this. I don't think Reinsdorf would ever do it though.

This will be something interesting to watch going forward. JR toed the line when Bud was commissioner as his friend and ally, but with Bud stepping down and some adversity between JR and the new commish already it will be interesting to see if he stays as committed to the spirit of the rules as he did before.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
No, BECAUSE Montes De Oca was so good, he didn't get drafted in the first 10 rounds.

Sort of.

It is a combination of him being very good, but also coming off arm surgery and therefore having greater value on the need to prove something first for a bigger payday. That's one of the classic scenarios for a very good prep arm to go to college.

Let's put it this way. Because of the fears about his relatively recent surgery, he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder. So maybe he was more like 5th round. For his scenario, there's a potential for a much bigger payout if he goes to OU and rocks the house for a few years, potentially being a 1st rounder.

For most teams, knowing he was looking for 1st round money (or close to that anyway), but not willing to take him in the 1st or even 2nd round, they let him go. The White Sox then took him in a late round, essentially as the backup plan for Rodon (and also sending a signal of interest as a side effect). If they had issues with Rodon and/or others, they'd lose the slot money, but have more of the potential past-slot pool money available (remember Rodon was over slot, as were others they drafted) and maybe, maybe, be able to entice De Oca to sign. He was the backup plan. I'm sure they probably made him a token 100k offer just in case he bit, but that's all they could do.

So it isn't just because he was so good - it was because he was so good and had extra risk.