2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 11:03 PM)
my problem, not with the players you mention, but I really need to hear more from the sox

brass. I don't know if they will go positional player or pitching.

my list still haven't change. hitting Rodgers ss, Ian Happ and DJ Stewart. Pitching I like Kirby I

also like a coutrey michalczewskiree of HS'ers and 2 college arms.

with the new CBA, comp rounds can be traded, right?

Hitting or pitching doesnt matter, they need to draft the best player available and players with high ceilings, but for the sake of this discussion lets. The Sox have a solid group of young starting pitchers down on the farm in Rodon, Adams, Danish, Montas and Martinez, but their core of position players in Hawkins, Adolfo, Anderson, and Michalczewski are behind. I think the Sox biggest organizational need are position players. Most of the guys that they have on the field are just stop gaps or black holes and will not be on the next contending sox team.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Hitting or pitching doesnt matter, they need to draft the best player available and players with high ceilings, but for the sake of this discussion lets. The Sox have a solid group of young starting pitchers down on the farm in Rodon, Adams, Danish, Montas and Martinez, but their core of position players in Hawkins, Adolfo, Anderson, and Michalczewski are behind. I think the Sox biggest organizational need are position players. Most of the guys that they have on the field are just stop gaps or black holes and will not be on the next contending sox team.

i agree with most and would like to add. if the draft comes around, if 2

equal prospects are there, pitching and positional player, who to pick??

the sox have a very good foundation for the future pitching.

sox needs a catcher a certified catcher prospect.

sox need more outifelders and the sox are in need a

1 base prospects something like 4-5 yrs project.

the one thing we don't know yet is the development of the int's

prospect that the sox drafted, beside Adolfo.

QUOTE (LDF' de='Oct 17, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
i agree with most and would like to add. if the draft comes around, if 2

equal prospects are there, pitcher or positional player, who to pick??

the sox have a very good foundation for the future pitching.

sox needs a catcher a certified catcher prospect.

sox need more outifelders and the sox are in need a

1 base prospects something like 4-5 yrs project.

the one thing we don't know yet is the development of the int's

prospect that the sox drafted, beside Adolfo.

With all thing being equal, I would say take the position player because its a safer bet to reach the majors, and due to the current state of free agency where teams are signing their homegrown talent to long term extensions, elite position players are getting harder to come by in the market so its crucial to develop your own homegrown and give that presidence over pitching. I believe that good pitching can beat good pitching everytime, but pitching is the most overrated commodity in baseball. We are in what people are calling the age of the pitcher in this post steroid world, its important to yield a strong lineup.

Kyle Tucker is the guy I want at #8, smooth and compact left handed swing, easy power and he has all 5 tools and unlike a lot of Sox prospects, his hit tool is his best tool. (I would love for the Sox to be able to draft Brady Aiken dont get me wrong.)

I think the Sox have to start developing long term solutions at: 2B, 3B, C, LF, and 1B.

I like what we have brewing internationally, we got a stud in Amado Nunez and we have some interesting prospects on the DSL team and I can wait till they come stateside.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
With all thing being equal, I would say take the position player because its a safer bet to reach the majors, and due to the current state of free agency where teams are signing their homegrown talent to long term extensions, elite position players are getting harder to come by in the market so its crucial to develop your own homegrown and give that presidence over pitching. I believe that good pitching can beat good pitching everytime, but pitching is the most overrated commodity in baseball. We are in what people are calling the age of the pitcher in this post steroid world, its important to yield a strong lineup.

Kyle Tucker is the guy I want at #8, smooth and compact left handed swing, easy power and he has all 5 tools and unlike a lot of Sox prospects, his hit tool is his best tool. (I would love for the Sox to be able to draft Brady Aiken dont get me wrong.)

I think the Sox have to start developing long term solutions at: 2B, 3B, C, LF, and 1B.

I like what we have brewing internationally, we got a stud in Amado Nunez and we have some interesting prospects on the DSL team and I can wait till they come stateside.

First, Sox have long term solution at 1B and his name is Jose Abreu.

Second, Kyle Tucker is impressive, 6-4 175, he certainly can put on more weight to his frame. He runs a 6.7 60 which is pretty fast, and has been clocked at 89 from the outfield. As of right now, he is being mocked toward the middle to end of the 1st round.

Lastly, there are 4 kids I'm looking at. Daz Cameron and and Ashe Russell as more long term. And Carson Fulmer and Walker Buehler, both these kids can possibly come in right away and help out the team.

My 2 favorites are the Vandy boys Buehler and Fulmer

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)

Second, Kyle Tucker is impressive, 6-4 175, he certainly can put on more weight to his frame. He runs a 6.7 60 which is pretty fast, and has been clocked at 89 from the outfield. As of right now, he is being mocked toward the middle to end of the 1st round.

Lastly, there are 4 kids I'm looking at. Daz Cameron and and Ashe Russell as more long term. And Carson Fulmer and Walker Buehler, both these kids can possibly come in right away and help out the team.

the usual first baseman is a player with power. so with Jose A playing 1b, the other

player can go to dh. in addition, I am talking about 4-5 yrs from now.

ref prospect and the draft, at this point no one is right and no one is wrong. it is based on

opinions.

Daz should be selected before he gets to #8

Ashe should be moving up in the list, interesting stuff

Fulmer, a RP - CL who would pick a closer at #8? the sox still has holes to address.

Buelher I just think his bread and butter in going to be in the pen

overall I love discussing prospect and draft. good job.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
the usual first baseman is a player with power. so with Jose A playing 1b, the other

player can go to dh. in addition, I am talking about 4-5 yrs from now.

ref prospect and the draft, at this point no one is right and no one is wrong. it is based on

opinions.

Fulmer, a RP - CL who would pick a closer at #8? the sox still has holes to address.

By rule, maybe outside of a pick high in the first round, you never draft for "need". You can favor a few positions if you think your system is weak in them, but you never, ever draft in rounds 2+ on what your major league team needs.

What will happen is that some guys from those lower rounds will surprise, some guys will disappoint, and you do the best you can to find the surprises. Any of those guys are going to be so far away from the big leagues that it's literally impossible to predict how they'll go.

I would not draft a 1b-only in round 1 right now, not with Abreu on the roster, unless everyone was screaming he's head and shoulders better than the remaining draft picks. But outside of that, pick the best mix of players you can get under your signing cap. Who knows what you'll hit in the next 4 years? I promise you the White Sox will draft more than 1 1b in that time, just not at the top of the draft.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)

I do not see him as a closer. I see him the same as the Rodon path that we all thought (Sep. call up in the bullpen, then rotation the next season). I thought that, but obviously Fulmer is not as polished as Rodon is. But that was my reason behind Fulmer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
By rule, maybe outside of a pick high in the first round, you never draft for "need". You can favor a few positions if you think your system is weak in them, but you never, ever draft in rounds 2+ on what your major league team needs.

What will happen is that some guys from those lower rounds will surprise, some guys will disappoint, and you do the best you can to find the surprises. Any of those guys are going to be so far away from the big leagues that it's literally impossible to predict how they'll go.

I would not draft a 1b-only in round 1 right now, not with Abreu on the roster, unless everyone was screaming he's head and shoulders better than the remaining draft picks. But outside of that, pick the best mix of players you can get under your signing cap. Who knows what you'll hit in the next 4 years? I promise you the White Sox will draft more than 1 1b in that time, just not at the top of the draft.

I agree but I would say, the sox should not address needs b/c they might have a superstar.

however the needs of the system right now is many and not just 1 position or player will fill it.

anyway, there is no real first base player being forecasted in the first rnd.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
I agree but I would say, the sox should not address needs b/c they might have a superstar.

however the needs of the system right now is many and not just 1 position or player will fill it.

anyway, there is no real first base player being forecasted in the first rnd.

I agree, there are many needs, that's why in the rest of the draft you target BPA. You might let the ability of a guy to make the big leagues quickly enter your mind in the first round, but that might also get you to pass over a younger guy with boatloads of talent.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)
I do not see him as a closer. I see him the same as the Rodon path that we all thought (Sep. call up in the bullpen, then rotation the next season). I thought that, but obviously Fulmer is not as polished as Rodon is. But that was my reason behind Fulmer.

mock draft

18. Toronto Blue Jays — Carson Fulmer, RHP Vanderbilt

After being the closer for the first year and a half of his career at Vanderbilt,

Fulmer made a smooth transition into the starting rotation as a sophomore.

Over 10 starts, he posted a 2.00 ERA, 1.18 WHIP with 57 K/28 BB over 63

innings, holding opponents to a .192 BAA. He can dial up his fastball to 98 mph,

and he adds a power slider that shows plus. His change-up is still developing and

he has good command of his stuff despite the high walk totals as he is still getting

used to the starter role. Like Brandon Finnegan last year, Fulmer will raise questions

about his size (5’-11”, 195 pounds) next year, and many will question his ability

to remain a starter. He has effort to his delivery but tones it down a bit when starting.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2015-ml...-mock-1-0/44039

but remember, there is a whole season of college ball coming up. anything can happen.

also remember no one is wrong now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
I agree, there are many needs, that's why in the rest of the draft you target BPA. You might let the ability of a guy to make the big leagues quickly enter your mind in the first round, but that might also get you to pass over a younger guy with boatloads of talent.

that is the problem now with the recent mock draft. there are several options at the

pick of #8.

I sure as hell can't wait for college ball to start. all those names will get sorted out.

yeesssss.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
mock draft

18. Toronto Blue Jays — Carson Fulmer, RHP Vanderbilt

After being the closer for the first year and a half of his career at Vanderbilt,

Fulmer made a smooth transition into the starting rotation as a sophomore.

Over 10 starts, he posted a 2.00 ERA, 1.18 WHIP with 57 K/28 BB over 63

innings, holding opponents to a .192 BAA. He can dial up his fastball to 98 mph,

and he adds a power slider that shows plus. His change-up is still developing and

he has good command of his stuff despite the high walk totals as he is still getting

used to the starter role. Like Brandon Finnegan last year, Fulmer will raise questions

about his size (5’-11”, 195 pounds) next year, and many will question his ability

to remain a starter. He has effort to his delivery but tones it down a bit when starting.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2015-ml...-mock-1-0/44039

but remember, there is a whole season of college ball coming up. anything can happen.

also remember no one is wrong now.

I understand that, but those numbers while starting are pretty solid. You may be very right in the end, but the things he has problems with now can easily be fixable. Like toning down his delivery, durability is simple too.

Honestly, he reminds me of Tim Lincecum when it comes to his delivery, size and make up as a pitcher. I'm pretty sure everyone here wouldn't mind a prime Tim Lineceum.

Edit: Also, if he is projected a mid to late. Pick him at 8, save some money and get some players that will require to go over slot with next selections.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)

Abreu is going to be 28 going next year, LDF suggested that the team should have a 1B prospect ready for 4 years down the line.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 12:20 AM)
I understand that, but those numbers while starting are pretty solid. You may be very right in the end, but the things he has problems with now can easily be fixable. Like toning down his delivery, durability is simple too.

Honestly, he reminds me of Tim Lincecum when it comes to his delivery, size and make up as a pitcher. I'm pretty sure everyone here wouldn't mind a prime Tim Lineceum.

Edit: Also, if he is projected a mid to late. Pick him at 8, save some money and get some players that will require to go over slot with next selections.

and why not. great strategy, come draft day.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Abreu is going to be 28 going next year, LDF suggested that the team should have a 1B prospect ready for 4 years down the line.

Rangel Ravelo can.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
and why not. great strategy, come draft day.

Sarcasm? Because it is logical.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 12:59 AM)
Rangel Ravelo can.

if I meant it as sarcasm I would have change the color. I really meant it.

I also have to keep reminding myself, it is oct 2014. a lot can happen between

now and draft days. players not listed may come blazing up the list while

others may plummet or get injured.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 12:59 AM)
Rangel Ravelo can.

furthermore, look at last yr draft. the 1 pitchers that was drafted what, 13 was not

sign, b/c Rodon agent wanted all he can for his client. if there was a chance to have

sign him, that draft would have been even better.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
if I meant it as sarcasm I would have change the color. I really meant it.

I also have to keep reminding myself, it is oct 2014. a lot can happen between

now and draft days. players not listed may come blazing up the list while

others may plummet or get injured.

I completely agree. I'm interested to see the top 200 prospects for the 2015 draft.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
furthermore, look at last yr draft. the 1 pitchers that was drafted what, 13 was not

sign, b/c Rodon agent wanted all he can for his client. if there was a chance to have

sign him, that draft would have been even better.

Rodon was my #1 player on my board. With the chance of being an ace for many years, I would take Rodon 10 out of 10 and go over slot then worrying about round 2-5.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 02:07 AM)
Yeah nothing really about that profile excited me at all.

oh man you are killing me, that is my #2 - 4 favorite pick. good hitting tools, at the

cape this summer, showed that he could hit for power, more walks than strikeout.

oh well, that is my cross to bear.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
oh man you are killing me, that is my #2 - 4 favorite pick. good hitting tools, at the

cape this summer, showed that he could hit for power, more walks than strikeout.

oh well, that is my cross to bear.

I've had Ian Happ, Daz Cameron, and Brendan Rogers right at the top of my want list with Carson Fulmer.