2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I think the Sox take whichever college RHSP that slips to them between Buehler, Matuela, Bickford or if they are all gone pick whichever of Fulmer, Funkhouser or OF DJ Stewart are left. All of them, potentially with the exception of Bickford, look like they will be quick movers and be able to add value to the ML roster in short order. In the second round they will find a high ceiling guy that slipped to continue to reinforce the bottom of the system.

Pitching, pitching and more pitching, at least for the draft.

We will acquire the bats we need in FA, Hahn has said that we will participate in FAs this offseason.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
Pitching, pitching and more pitching, at least for the draft.

We will acquire the bats we need in FA, Hahn has said that we will participate in FAs this offseason.

yeah I am with you on this, however the 2015 draft does not have the pitching studs as 2014 draft.

outside the top 3 college arms, I really don't see any exciting hs pitchers. this is base on today observation.

the hs'ers that will be avail, appears to be positional players in the top 15. the second tier of pitchers are

mostly college. as it looks there may be some exciting arms avail in the 2 rd.

but I would like to see how this plays out as the yr come to a close.

Keep in mind everyone that the amateur season does not start til mid February and things are bound to change. More players are bound to emerge so don't look too much into things right now. Its fun getting to know names but speculating on heir draft positions is pointless for the moment.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
No kidding? I did not know that.

While I got ya here. In the thread " its that time of year" in the Sox forums were discussing Aiken and his smaller UCL. Since you know a lot about this kind of stuff what are your thoughts on the kids UCL. The question of drafting him came up if he was available and so did his UCL. Can youmshed some light on this? It would be Much appreciated.

I've never seen anyone look at the size of the UCL before. It makes anatomic sense that a smaller one would have less tensile strength. They usually just look at the stanility of the joint and past injuries. It is definitely a comtroversy.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
I've never seen anyone look at the size of the UCL before. It makes anatomic sense that a smaller one would have less tensile strength. They usually just look at the stanility of the joint and past injuries. It is definitely a comtroversy.

OK, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. :)

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:42 AM)
Keep in mind everyone that the amateur season does not start til mid February and things are bound to change. More players are bound to emerge so don't look too much into things right now. Its fun getting to know names but speculating on heir draft positions is pointless for the moment.

yeah and I agree, that is why I was saying without any names that I would love to see how

things develop. esp when unknown prospects will start making a name for themselves. I am

with you on being informed on prospects.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
a renewed mock draft sept 22,

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

I know this means absolutely nothing, but just reading the name "Mike Nikorak" makes me cringe. Sounds like a perfect name for a guy we will won't be talking about in 3 years. Has bust written all over his dumb name.

Give me a D.J. Stewart or Brendan Rodgers or a Daz Cameron. Those sound like stars. :lol:

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I know this means absolutely nothing, but just reading the name "Mike Nikorak" makes me cringe. Sounds like a perfect name for a guy we will won't be talking about in 3 years. Has bust written all over his dumb name.

Give me a D.J. Stewart or Brendan Rodgers or a Daz Cameron. Those sound like stars. :lol:

I used the names "Porcello" and "Poreda" to justify their major league chances when they were drafted too.

Baseball America is really down on the overall crop of college players in this draft class. They say all the elite talent, with an exception of a few are all high schoolers.

Strengths of the draft class are: HS Athletes and Hs Pitching (Velocity).

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Baseball America is really down on the overall crop of college players in this draft class. They say all the elite talent, with an exception of a few are all high schoolers.

With the Sox likely to pick in the 8-10 range this could be a draft where the Sox grab a high school talent in the first round. Its still way too early since there's still one season of college and high school to be played before June's draft next year. Its still fun to talk about since the Sox will have a top 10 pick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 07:02 AM)
Baseball America is really down on the overall crop of college players in this draft class.

They say all the elite talent, with an exception of a few are all high schoolers.

these guys who makes these list as an easy and enviable position. we are

all baseball fans, we also like talking about prospect and draft. we are ranked

amateurs who does this as a labor of love. with that, these guys on this site

are extremely good at this.

so with this draft coming up next yr. it is hard to grade, harder than any in the

past that I can remember. but what the hell do I know.

this draft, the elite talen 1-4 are college pitchers. the next couple are a mix with

hs positional talent and middle of the rd pitchers. then comes a good mix of college

outfield and hs pitchers. I really do wish the sox had 2 picks in the 4-8 picks and then

another in the 12-16 pick

oh well I guess I can wish all I can.

now for the sox brass identifying their needs and what is avail.

for my thoughts I will probably make a decision some time in Nov.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
these guys who makes these list as an easy and enviable position. we are

all baseball fans, we also like talking about prospect and draft. we are ranked

amateurs who does this as a labor of love. with that, these guys on this site

are extremely good at this.

so with this draft coming up next yr. it is hard to grade, harder than any in the

past that I can remember. but what the hell do I know.

this draft, the elite talen 1-4 are college pitchers. the next couple are a mix with

hs positional talent and middle of the rd pitchers. then comes a good mix of college

outfield and hs pitchers. I really do wish the sox had 2 picks in the 4-8 picks and then

another in the 12-16 pick

oh well I guess I can wish all I can.

now for the sox brass identifying their needs and what is avail.

for my thoughts I will probably make a decision some time in Nov.

They weren't even high on the college pitchers that are expected to go early.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
a renewed mock draft sept 22,

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Well, the Sox finish with the 8th pick for 2015 which, according to this mock, would have the Sox drafting Ashe Russell. Why not? In one video I watched of him he was wearing a Sox cap. ;)

I know its entirely way to early but now that the draft position is known, I just can't help myself. :)

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
Well, the Sox finish with the 8th pick for 2015 which, according to this mock, would have the Sox drafting Ashe Russell. Why not? In one video I watched of him he was wearing a Sox cap. ;)

I know its entirely way to early but now that the draft position is known, I just can't help myself. :)

same here, if you are like me, I like to identify the prospect in a certain area and

I will like to follow them until draft day.

re Ashe Russell, interesting make up, someone to keep an eye on.

Working out the draft order, looks like the Sox will be picking eighth.

1. Diamondbacks

2. Astros (for not coming to terms with 2014 No. 1 pick Brady Aiken)

3. Rockies

4. Rangers

5. Astros

6. Twins

7. Red Sox

8. White Sox

9. Cubs

10. Phillies

11. Reds

12. Marlins

13. Padres

14. Rays

15. Mets

16. Braves

17. Brewers

18. Blue Jays

19. Yankees

20. Indians

21. Mariners

22. Giants

23. Pirates

24. Athletics

25. Royals

26. Tigers

27. Cardinals

28. Dodgers

29. Orioles

30. Nationals

31. Angels

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
same here, if you are like me, I like to identify the prospect in a certain area and

I will like to follow them until draft day.

re Ashe Russell, interesting make up, someone to keep an eye on.

In the videos I watche , Ashe was consistently throwing 93/94 with tailing on his fastball. The slider and curve need work but that's to be expected from a 17 year old.

Like you, I will be keeping an eye on him to see how he performs during the spring HS season.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
In the videos I watche , Ashe was consistently throwing 93/94 with tailing on his fastball. The slider and curve need work but that's to be expected from a 17 year old.

Like you, I will be keeping an eye on him to see how he performs during the spring HS season.

the players I like so far are in order:

1. Brendan Rodgers - hs - ss

2. Ian Happ - college - ss/of. he did great in cape league this summer.

3. D.J. Stewart - college - of.

4. tie - Walker Buehler - college - pitcher, Nathan Kirby - college - pitcher

and then there are several other pitcher of note with Russell, Lemoine and Ferrell

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/stats....;seasonid=26713

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
the players I like so far are in order:

1. Brendan Rodgers - hs - ss

2. Ian Happ - college - ss/of. he did great in cape league this summer.

3. D.J. Stewart - college - of.

4. tie - Walker Buehler - college - pitcher, Nathan Kirby - college - pitcher

and then there are several other pitcher of note with Russell, Lemoine and Ferrell

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/stats....;seasonid=26713

I happen to like all of those guys, but I would add Kyle Tucker to that list.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Ian Happ sounds like the best college bat available and there is some talk of moving him to the outfield, I'll be interested to see if they bite on him. I think he'll be there.

yeah a switch hitting second basemen that gets comped to utley wouldn't make me upset at all especially for the 8th overall pick, but i think a more realistic comp would be Shane Victorino.