2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Way too early Top 15 Mock.

1. Texas: Michael Matuella RHP Duke

2. Houston: Phil Bickford RHP Cal State Fullerton

3. Colorado: Daz Cameron CF HS (Georgia)

4. Arizona: Brady Aiken LHP JUCO

5. Houston: Brendan Rodgers SS HS (Florida)

6. Minnesota: Nathan Kirby LHP Virginia

7. White Sox: Carson Fulmer RHP Vanderbilt

8. Boston: Riley Farrell RHP TCU

9. Cubs: Justin Hooper LHP HS (California)

10. Philadelphia: Kyle Funkhouser RHP Louisville

11. San Diego: Kyle Tucker OF HS (Florida)

12. Mets: Alex Bregman INF LSU

13. Cincinnati: Ryan Johnson OF HS (Texas)

14. Tampa Bay: Walker Buehler RHP Vanderbilt

15. Miami: Kyle Molnar RHP HS (California)

The White Sox could nab a real stud if they could get into the Top 5. Probably won't happen though.

you really did a good job with a lot of hard work. I like this.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
Disagree. I think Rick Hahn and his staff will identify the best player and take that player regardless of how long it may take to get to the majors. They took Courtney Hawkins and Keon Barnum with back to back picks 3 years ago. 2 years ago they took Tim Anderson out of JuCo and their 2nd rder was HS RHP Tyler Danish. This year they took a HS RHP with their 2nd pick in Spencer Adams. If a HS player is the highest rated player on the board in round 1, I think they will take the high schooler.

and who was the GM at the time of the draft, KW or Hahn?

I like your draft. I see a battle for #1 with Matuella and Aiken, them

you have an influx of decent amount of players including HS'ers. when

the sox pick either in 6-10 picks, i am all for 1 of these players.

- Josh Sborz, RHP, Virginia, i personally think he is the better pitcher

coming out of Virginia.

- D.J. Stewart, OF, Florida State. i sure like him, hit an above avg amount

of doubles. some of those will eventually be hrs and we need of'ers

- Ian Happ, 2B, Cincinnati, maybe the sox new cf and leadoff hitter

- Jake Lemoine, RHP, Houston, i like him. i would like to see how this

yr goes.

- Joe McCarthy, OF, Virginia, pretty much like dj stewart.

I like vand system and Virginia. they really got a great collections of players.

don't forget about the hs'ers. Cameron is very enticing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Nice write-up, and all good points. But I do think it is important to seperate the two concepts - ceiling and polish. They are a matrix. One can be high or low on either scale. If you don't allow for that, you box yourself in.

For sure, let me clarify: I meant that "polish" and "low ceiling" tend to go hand in hand with prospects, not necessarily Major Leaguers. When high ceiling guys gain polish, they are ML stars, but when prospects get drafted already having polish, they tend to have lower ceilings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
Without TJ surgery, I would imagine he would be a White Sox property.

same here and I would venture to say, if Jeff was indeed pick and sign, that other player

would have been signed as well.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
same here and I would venture to say, if Jeff was indeed pick and sign, that other player

would have been signed as well.

I think it is safe to say that the scenario is interesting. I think the Sox would have avoided dealing with Borass and got a cheaper deal done with Hoffman. The Cubs seemingly had an early deal worked out with Schwarber for WAY under slot. Do they make the same move, or do they alter their entire draft strategy and go for Rodon and sacrifice the younger high end talent that they signed later for overslot?

As for the White Sox, are they then able to sign De Oca? Maybe they make more choices like De Oca with the lower signing total from Hoffman.

The counter-factuals are endless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
I think it is safe to say that the scenario is interesting. I think the Sox would have avoided dealing with Borass and got a cheaper deal done with Hoffman. The Cubs seemingly had an early deal worked out with Schwarber for WAY under slot. Do they make the same move, or do they alter their entire draft strategy and go for Rodon and sacrifice the younger high end talent that they signed later for overslot?

As for the White Sox, are they then able to sign De Oca? Maybe they make more choices like De Oca with the lower signing total from Hoffman.

The counter-factuals are endless. :headbang

I really think that sCrub will have pick the pitcher and I am sure they had a "if thing fall as we see it"

agreement.

Are there any nasty closers in this years draft?

I know you don't draft for need, and some are against drafting RP early, but I was kinda hoping the Sox took Jacob Lindgren (Specifically him because he's a LHP) or Nick Burdi last year.... I know they don't really get the hype but sans maybe Ben Brewster, I can't think of a single RP to be "excited" about.

There's been talk that Lindgren might get called up this year after posting a ridiculous 48/10 K/BB rate in 24 innings across 4 levels. (he went in the 2nd, 11 picks after Adams)

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)

I know you don't draft for need, and some are against drafting RP early, but I was kinda hoping the Sox took Jacob Lindgren (Specifically him because he's a LHP) or Nick Burdi last year.... I know they don't really get the hype but sans maybe Ben Brewster, I can't think of a single RP to be "excited" about.

There's been talk that Lindgren might get called up this year after posting a ridiculous 48/10 K/BB rate in 24 innings across 4 levels. (he went in the 2nd, 11 picks after Adams)

I think drafting FOR a reliever is about the absolute worst move you can make with your first round pick, probably even your first couple picks.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
I think drafting FOR a reliever is about the absolute worst move you can make with your first round pick, probably even your first couple picks.

Guess I should have noted that I was talking about the 2nd round. Of course I didn't want Burdi or Lindgren at #3, nor do I want one in the 1st round next year....Reed was drafted in the 3rd so it wouldn't be uncharacteristic of the Sox to grab one in the first few rounds.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)

there are some pitchers who was a relief pitchers but are now being used as a starter / rp.

now beyond the 1 rd I am not privy to that data base.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
Guess I should have noted that I was talking about the 2nd round. Of course I didn't want Burdi or Lindgren at #3, nor do I want one in the 1st round next year....Reed was drafted in the 3rd so it wouldn't be uncharacteristic of the Sox to grab one in the first few rounds.

3rd RD is probably the earliest I would go, but I'd still always prefer to draft a starting pitcher and let him fail, and then go to the pen.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)

What was that guy's name from yesteryear? Last name Ring. First Round pick as a closer, made it to Mets for a cup of orange juice.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
3rd RD is probably the earliest I would go, but I'd still always prefer to draft a starting pitcher and let him fail, and then go to the pen.

a good point. I would see the sox pick a pitcher who has a fastball in the 95+ no secondary or

weak secondary pitch. those guys are usually groomed to be RP.

either way when Joshua finish his write up. we as fans should have those pitchers identify.

Edited by LDF

With 27 Games left for each team....

1. Tex 53-82

2. Hou (Aiken for now)

3. Col 54-81

4. Arz 56-79

5. Hou 57-78

6. Min 59-76

7. Bos 59-76

8. Sox 61-74

9. Cubs 61-74

10. Phi 62-73

11. NYM 63-72

Let's see how many of these teams play the final 27 at 10-17 or worse. Last year was ridiculous for tanking.

Edited by flavum