Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
It's scary thinking about the payroll without Danks. Hahn would have basically a clean slate to work with. The Sox have their three insane values in Sale/Abreu/Quitnana (15.667 M), Alexei (10 M) and and a whole bunch of rookie contracts/arbitration guys. If the Sox trade Danks in the next 9 days the team will go into the offseason with their fourth highest paid player (after Alexei, Abreu and Sale) being Jeff Keppinger.

Could be a reason why he wants to deal him.. Have the money to get the FA's he wants and compete next year. We have a solid core with a couple prospects waiting to come up. We need SP and I am sure there will be some solid SP FA's next year that he is looking at. Also trying to get a solid catcher for at least a year or two stop gap

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
And there you have the reason why the Sox can never do a Cubs style rebuild. White Flag was 17 years ago.

Biggest problem from the White Flag was the prospects that received back never turned into anything more than bullpen help. If one of those position players would have worked out, the deal would have forgotten long ago.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
It's scary thinking about the payroll without Danks. Hahn would have basically a clean slate to work with. The Sox have their three insane values in Sale/Abreu/Quitnana (15.667 M), Alexei (10 M) and and a whole bunch of rookie contracts/arbitration guys. If the Sox trade Danks in the next 9 days the team will go into the offseason with their fourth highest paid player (after Alexei, Abreu and Sale) being Jeff Keppinger.

Abreu will only be cheap a couple of seasons though as he will almost assuredly opt out of his deal after he reaches Super 2 status, so need to set a payroll block aside to try and extend him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Could be a reason why he wants to deal him.. Have the money to get the FA's he wants and compete next year. We have a solid core with a couple prospects waiting to come up. We need SP and I am sure there will be some solid SP FA's next year that he is looking at. Also trying to get a solid catcher for at least a year or two stop gap

ya he wants go after james shields

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Biggest problem from the White Flag was the prospects that received back never turned into anything more than bullpen help. If one of those position players would have worked out, the deal would have forgotten long ago.

The pitching was the most important part of that deal. If Barcelo's arm doesn't fall off the deal looks a lot better. We got two closers out of the deal in Howry and Foulke. Caruso had a great rookie year, and then disappeared.

But again, it was 17 years ago. There are people on this board today who weren't even alive when White Flag happened. And much like this year, the Sox weren't winning a damned thing that year.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
ya he wants go after james shields

It does kinda actually make some sense.

Danks is a #4 starter right now being paid like a #3. For a team with a need in their rotation, that's a reasonable thing to bring on if it makes them competitive right now, and clearing up the price of a #3 starter could very readily allow the Sox to spend a little more for a #2 guy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't agree with this. The White Flag trade was hated for the immediate impact it would have on a team that would was in the playoff race. I doubt many fans were concerned with the future of Mike Caruso rather than the lost hope of playoff baseball.

At the time yes, but if Caruso and Manning push the 2000 team into a World Series win, all would have been forgiven and it would have been seen as a tough move but one that ultimately payed off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
It does kinda actually make some sense.

Danks is a #4 starter right now being paid like a #3. For a team with a need in their rotation, that's a reasonable thing to bring on if it makes them competitive right now, and clearing up the price of a #3 starter could very readily allow the Sox to spend a little more for a #2 guy.

Would u want james shields

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Would u want james shields

If the White Sox intend to field a competitive team in 2015 and they had previously moved Danks, yes I'd spend the money on him (assuming the pitching coach and training staff were game), he'd cover their needs very well and provide a real strong cog in the rotation.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
and even if they were to somehow play well enough to get a wild card spot, I'd rather get some return on Danks while he's not getting lit up. Remember, the point of this whole thing to create a sustained contender, I would rather build to that than 1 wild card spot.

IF they can get a good near MLB player then yes you do it....But if the "Dump him" crowd are right/get their way and they get nothing more than cap relief, which the Sox don't need, then that doesn't really set them up to be a sustained contender.

They have money to add a SP and a DH while also keeping Danks. If you trade Danks you then need to add 2 SPs and what are the odds they'll be able to get 2 better than Danks, salary ne damned.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
If the White Sox intend to field a competitive team in 2015 and they had previously moved Danks, yes I'd spend the money on him (assuming the pitching coach and training staff were game), he'd cover their needs very well and provide a real strong cog in the rotation.

I really think they could realistic get Shields while also keeping Danks.

Sale-Shields-Q-Noesi-Danks.....Let Rodon chill in the minors for a bit then trade Noesi/DAnks.....Longer they keep Danks the more baluable he becomes, assuming he's still throwing QS over 50% of the time.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
IF they can get a good near MLB player then yes you do it....But if the "Dump him" crowd are right/get their way and they get nothing more than cap relief, which the Sox don't need, then that doesn't really set them up to be a sustained contender.

They have money to add a SP and a DH while also keeping Danks. If you trade Danks you then need to add 2 SPs and what are the odds they'll be able to get 2 better than Danks, salary ne damned.

u got rotation sale rodon quintana free agent shields and carroll noesi molina beck Johnson

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)

Sale-Shields-Q-Noesi-Danks.....Let Rodon chill in the minors for a bit then trade Noesi/DAnks.....Longer they keep Danks the more baluable he becomes, assuming he's still throwing QS over 50% of the time.

Rodon be in rotation in 2015 and I dont think danks will get better he might get worse

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)

Hector Noesi is a better pitcher than post surgery John Danks. He's also magnitudes of order cheaper. If you trade one of them, you try and dump Danks to an (apparently) desperate Yankees Team.

I can see Gordon + Danks to NYY for cash and a couple C prospects.

Anyone expecting more needs to reset their expectations, these are 1 WAR types we are trading.

I can't see a Shields deal happening. The Sox will have to give the Royals their first round pick and there will be too many other teams in the running. The Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Royals, Mets, and maybe the Rangers will all be in on him. I don't see the Sox winning a bidding war especially because he will likely end up getting something like $125M over 5 years.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)

I would not spend the money on a starting pitcher for the front of the rotation if Danks was not moved. That would just leave too many arms when you count Rodon, and from the White Sox's POV you have to count him as arriving in the near future.

I am not going to spend $15 million+ a year on a pitcher if there's any chance that pitcher blocks Rodon. If they can't move Danks, then look to spend that money elsewhere.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Hector Noesi is a better pitcher than post surgery John Danks. He's also magnitudes of order cheaper. If you trade one of them, you try and dump Danks to an (apparently) desperate Yankees Team.

I can see Gordon + Danks to NYY for cash and a couple C prospects.

Anyone expecting more needs to reset their expectations, these are 1 WAR types we are trading.

I'd be looking to cash in on Noesi and Putnam both. I've said it before, and I will say it again, both scream one year wonders.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I can't see a Shields deal happening. The Sox will have to give the Royals their first round pick and there will be too many other teams in the running. The Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Royals, Mets, and maybe the Rangers will all be in on him. I don't see the Sox winning a bidding war especially because he will

likely end up getting something like $125M over 5 years.

No way 4 years 60-75 million for james shields

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
I think Shields having somewhat of a down year brings his price down a bit. Getting rid of Danks would allow us to be in the sweepstakes for him.

Assuming the payroll is around 90M they'd have the money regardless. With Danks and Lexi included the payroll is 43M.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
No way 4 years 60-75 million for james shields

I think the Sox could bid that, but Shields will hold out for someone to guarantee that extra year. And the way contracts have gone recently, he will almost assuredly get $20M+ AAV.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
I think the Sox could bid that, but Shields will hold out for someone to guarantee that extra year. And the way contracts have gone recently, he will almost assuredly get $20M+ AAV.

Then u go to 5 years