Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
To me, they're ready to contend next year. Had Avi not got hurt and they figured out the bullpen earlier they'd be right in the thick of things.

The injuries to Jones and Lindstrom blew a pretty big hole in the pen.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
If anything, I just think the Astros have Danks' number.

He's been decent outside of the starts against Houston.

Damn. You aren't kidding. They have an 1.180 OPS against him in his career. That is 300+ points higher than any other team in his career. 9.15 ERA, 2.032 WHIP, 8 HR against in 20.2 IP.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Anyone familiar with advanced statistics is aware that Danks is garbage. Do a Google search and read some articles. It's not just my opinion here. It's pretty common knowledge.

No one, literally no one, is trying to tell you John Danks is pitching well right now. I mean, we COULD talk about the stretch of 67 innings prior to his last start were he had a 2.69 ERA and an RE24 of 10.69, but I am talking about the fact that in baseball we know that players regress to the mean. Never get too high or too low on a player. To say John Danks is suddenly a #5 starter is not understanding he is more likely to improve to his average than he is to just fall off the cliff.

It's not good business to be impatient and sell low. If teams are only willing to give up pieces worthy of a true #5 pitcher like Carroll or Noesi, then don't even move Danks. Hold on to him until the offseason when GM's short term memory fades away.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
No one, literally no one, is trying to tell you John Danks is pitching well right now. I mean, we COULD talk about the stretch of 67 innings prior to his last start were he had a 2.69 ERA and an RE24 of 10.69, but I am talking about the fact that in baseball we know that players regress to the mean. Never get too high or too low on a player. To say John Danks is suddenly a #5 starter is not understanding he is more likely to improve to his average than he is to just fall off the cliff.

It's not good business to be impatient and sell low. If teams are only willing to give up pieces worthy of a true #5 pitcher like Carroll or Noesi, then don't even move Danks. Hold on to him until the offseason when GM's short term memory fades away.

To be completely fair, if the team is taking on his remaining salary and is willing to give up a piece worthy of a back of the rotation starter, that's not really that bad. Gotta remember where the salary goes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
To be completely fair, if the team is taking on his remaining salary and is willing to give up a piece worthy of a back of the rotation starter, that's not really that bad. Gotta remember where the salary goes.

I don't think saving a few million for this year is really of any significance though.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
IF they can get a good near MLB player then yes you do it....But if the "Dump him" crowd are right/get their way and they get nothing more than cap relief, which the Sox don't need, then that doesn't really set them up to be a sustained contender.

They have money to add a SP and a DH while also keeping Danks. If you trade Danks you then need to add 2 SPs and what are the odds they'll be able to get 2 better than Danks, salary ne damned.

Exactly, the sox don't need a salary dump and have plenty of money when you take into account Dunn being off the books next year and raises across the board and kepps 4m. The Sox could easily add 40-60M in player contracts and not bat an eye even more so if they move Alexei and Danks' combined near 26M. But quite frankly they aren't far enough along on the win curve yet to where that makes sense so they would be better served going after international free agents (3B Jeong Choi, OF Rusney Castillo, OF Alfredo Despaigne) and extending the guys we already have on this team (Eaton, maybe even Garcia to a Marte or Tabata like deal).

If Danks is getting moved the sox should be looking to bring back two prospects in the 40-100 range and a lottery ticket. He's a #3 being paid like a #3 with some surplus value in his affordable contract.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
I don't think saving a few million for this year is really of any significance though.

But $14.25 million each of the next 2 years? That's pretty significant. moving Danks at the deadline clears about $35 million in commitments.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
But $14.25 million each of the next 2 years? That's pretty significant. moving Danks at the deadline clears about $35 million in commitments.

That's why my next sentence said "Hold on to him until the offseason". I want Danks moved, but I don't want to sell so low on him that he only gets a #5 starter type return.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
If anything, I just think the Astros have Danks' number.

He's been decent outside of the starts against Houston.

Wow, just noticed this as well...

Take out his 2 starts against Houston this year and he has a 3.66 ERA with just 11 HRs in 113 IP vs 4.35 and 16 in 124..

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
That's why my next sentence said "Hold on to him until the offseason". I want Danks moved, but I don't want to sell so low on him that he only gets a #5 starter type return.

Personally, if I had to guess I'd bet that teams would be more willing to accept the fact that he isn't pitching fully up to his contract at the trade deadline than they would be in the offseason when they have more options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)

But what are you going to commit that money combined with the other 30-45M coming off the books going into the offseason? top tier FA pitching is a horrible idea when you consider that Shields, Lester and Scherzer will all be 30 or older and especially when the sox have a legit #1 and 1A in the rotation with Rodon near major league ready.

The best looking free agents that fit our needs are as follows:

Russell Martin 32 next season - who doesn't fit our development timeline age wise

Victor Martinez 36 next season - doesn't really fit our window timeline and would seemingly cost the sox their first round pick and a minimum three year commitment

Billy Butler 29 next season - Maybe, but everyone is going to look at him as a buy low candidate(provided the royals don't pick up his option) which will inflate his price a bit and is right handed.

Colby Rasmus 28 - left handed fits nearly everyone of our needs and is having a down year, so its possible we can get him for a reasonable price

So what is the point of having even more money if they're already flush with cash and the international FAs won't command nearly as much as Abreu or Tanaka?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
But what are you going to commit that money combined with the other 30-45M coming off the books going into the offseason? top tier FA pitching is a horrible idea when you consider that Shields, Lester and Scherzer will all be 30 or older and especially when the sox have a legit #1 and 1A in the rotation with Rodon near major league ready.

The best looking free agents that fit our needs are as follows:

Russell Martin 32 next season - who doesn't fit our development timeline age wise

Victor Martinez 36 next season - doesn't really fit our window timeline and would seemingly cost the sox their first round pick and a minimum three year commitment

Billy Butler 29 next season - Maybe, but everyone is going to look at him as a buy low candidate(provided the royals don't pick up his option) which will inflate his price a bit and is right handed.

Colby Rasmus 28 - left handed fits nearly everyone of our needs and is having a down year, so its possible we can get him for a reasonable price

So what is the point of having even more money if they're already flush with cash and the international FAs won't command nearly as much as Abreu or Tanaka?

You can invest it in other young players or use it to acquire guys with existing contracts in trade, etc. It doesn't have to be through major FA signings. Bottom line it gives you flexibility.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 15m

The Giants have been investigating the starting pitching trade market, considering their options.

Giants could be another team interested in Danks. He would fit well in that ball park.

Cool. Let's take Clayton Blackburn and Mac Williamson and Keury Mella. All on the 7-day DL too. Hah.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
You can invest it in other young players or use it to acquire guys with existing contracts in trade, etc. It doesn't have to be through major FA signings. Bottom line it gives you flexibility.

Agreed. Unless you go back to the 90s the Sox have really never signed a top free agent other than Dunn. However, they have traded for a number of guys with big contracts and trading Danks gives you a lot of flexibility on that front. He also isn't particularly good at this point and isn't a key part of the White Sox future so if someone is willing to take on his whole contract and you can get a couple interesting pieces in return he absolutely should be traded.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
It's scary thinking about the payroll without Danks. Hahn would have basically a clean slate to work with. The Sox have their three insane values in Sale/Abreu/Quitnana (15.667 M), Alexei (10 M) and and a whole bunch of rookie contracts/arbitration guys. If the Sox trade Danks in the next 9 days the team will go into the offseason with their fourth highest paid player (after Alexei, Abreu and Sale) being Jeff Keppinger.

Assuming Beckham, DeAza and Viciedo are all gone...

It's going to be interesting to see whether those "new/er" radar gun readings in the low 90's stand up.

Wonder if the White Sox were adjusting their gun up for the tv audience? Of course, it doesn't matter, as any organization truly interested in Danks would have had their owns scouts/radar in the park. It's quite a paradox in that he was lit up in that start where he was supposedly throwing harder than he has all season...so not sure what to take from that. That he can pitch more effectively now in the 80's? Or that the Astros just have his number career-wise? Or both?

We all have heard from the beginning of time about needing to have a 10+ mph differential on fastball to change/off-speed pitch. Seems like any pitcher who spends 85% of their time pitching at varying speeds in the 80's without the command of Mark Buehrle is going to get lit up unless they play at PetCo, Safeco or in SF.