Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

Anybody want to take a guess on the figure we'd have to chip in to get a couple of decent prospects back? I was thinking something like $8M. 2 for the rest of this year and 3 for the 2 remaining years. Turns him into an $11 million dollar pitcher which seems to be around the market with guys like Jiminez, Arroyo, and Feldman. If we could get 1 of Clarkin or Judge for Danks I'd be extremely happy.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that he's survived all these years with essentially 2 pitches (1 slightly below average fastball, and a devastating change) speaks volumes for how good that change in speeds really is. Now he's lost a few ticks and I think command of a 2nd off-spread pitch would revive his excellence. He can't live on that outside edge anymore at 88.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
Anybody want to take a guess on the figure we'd have to chip in to get a couple of decent prospects back? I was thinking something like $8M. 2 for the rest of this year and 3 for the 2 remaining years. Turns him into an $11 million dollar pitcher which seems to be around the market with guys like Jiminez, Arroyo, and Feldman. If we could get 1 of Clarkin or Judge for Danks I'd be extremely happy.

I always thought we might have to chip in money to help make the trade go thru esp if we want

prospects back. even with NYY they would want money.

here is the interesting part, if several teams were in the mix, just maybe the salary relief may be

played among them.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
The fact that he's survived all these years with essentially 2 pitches (1 slightly below average fastball, and a devastating change) speaks volumes for how good that change in speeds really is. Now he's lost a few ticks and I think command of a 2nd off-spread pitch would revive his excellence. He can't live on that outside edge anymore at 88.

He's always thrown a pretty good cutter too. He's basically been fastball, cutter, change up. When he was in the minors, and even a little in the majors, he flashed a fairly decent curve ball too, but he just doesn't throw it that often anymore.

I truly believe that if we move Danks, we're all going to be disappointed with the return. Unless moving his contract will truly open up the door to a big acquisition, I think he's more valuable to us as a relatively stable back-end rotation piece (in a rotation that includes Scott Carroll) than he is to any other team as a rotation plug.

Trades are fun, but if I'm being honest with myself, I think we should just keep him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
I truly believe that if we move Danks, we're all going to be disappointed with the return. Unless moving his contract will truly open up the door to a big acquisition, I think he's more valuable to us as a relatively stable back-end rotation piece (in a rotation that includes Scott Carroll) than he is to any other team as a rotation plug.

Trades are fun, but if I'm being honest with myself, I think we should just keep him.

It's true. No one we are dangling on the trade market is going to return much of anything except financial flexibility or roster spots. That is, unless we trade Alexei, I would expect a haul for him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)

The return definitely has to offset the loss of a quality starting pitcher. Danks has continued to improve as he has recovered from his surgery and may not be at his post-surgery ceiling yet. He is a pretty good option as a #3 and a really outstanding option as a #4 if the Sox can add a quality RHSP somewhere in the mix.

I agree, we should hang onto him unless someone is willing to overpay, he still represents a solid source of future production for the Sox.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
We might be able to get more for Danks this time next year, if he's pitching well.

But, yes, trade Alexei.

There has been nothing on Alexei being traded. There are not many teams in contention with a need at SS, so I think he ends the season on the Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Just noticed Danks would be scheduled to start next Thursday--a day game in Detroit that starts at noon, with the trade deadline at 3.

Could be great #hugwatch material.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
If he's even being discussed in rumors, he'll be "skipped" like Peavy was last year.

Agreed. Peavy was traded on the 30th (late)--and I think he was scheduled to go on the 31st.

So in other words--if Danks is getting traded in July, I expect it to be before he takes the mound on the 31st.

But the game itself should be good "hugwatch" material. The lineup that day should be interesting.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Agreed. Peavy was traded on the 30th (late)--and I think he was scheduled to go on the 31st.

So in other words--if Danks is getting traded in July, I expect it to be before he takes the mound on the 31st.

But the game itself should be good "hugwatch" material. The lineup that day should be interesting.

I seem to recall that they announced that Peavy was being skipped from his 31st start prior to being traded though. The same thing would most certainly happen with Danks, especially if they are deep into conversations.

I honestly think this team could trade (or shed) a lot of players and end up better in August and September.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)

If you're being honest with yourself John Danks is not going to be a factor in whether we can compete for a world series again relatively soon. The shoulder injury turned him into a pretty average pitcher that is replaceable at a much lower cost. If someone is willing to take the contract let them as far as I'm concerned. Free up the money and you never know what could happen, it's not like this franchise has shied away from acquiring high cost players in the past. Who cares who our 4th starter is for the rest of the year when we aren't making the playoffs anyway?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
If you're being honest with yourself John Danks is not going to be a factor in whether we can compete for a world series again relatively soon. The shoulder injury turned him into a pretty average pitcher that is replaceable at a much lower cost. If someone is willing to take the contract let them as far as I'm concerned. Free up the money and you never know what could happen, it's not like this franchise has shied away from acquiring high cost players in the past. Who cares who our 4th starter is for the rest of the year when we aren't making the playoffs anyway?

Danks can certainly be a factor in the Sox next run for the World Series. He is not an average pitcher, he is an average mid-rotation pitcher, something that is not that easy to replace or the Sox would have three more of them. His contract is reasonable for his performance and it is unlikely that the Sox would get any discount by bringing someone in put up similar production. Couple that with the way that Danks has continued to improve the further he has gotten from surgery, he could end up being an extremely solid #3 starter in a playoff rotation. The money is not holding the Sox back from anything and the Sox have a terrible track record of acquiring established players in free agency.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Danks can certainly be a factor in the Sox next run for the World Series. He is not an average pitcher, he is an average mid-rotation pitcher, something that is not that easy to replace or the Sox would have three more of them. His contract is reasonable for his performance and it is unlikely that the Sox would get any discount by bringing someone in put up similar production. Couple that with the way that Danks has continued to improve the further he has gotten from surgery, he could end up being an extremely solid #3 starter in a playoff rotation. The money is not holding the Sox back from anything and the Sox have a terrible track record of acquiring established players in free agency.

John Danks will never ever be a "solid #3 on a playoff team". In fact, he's pitching worse this year by many metrics than he did last year. His velocity is down and his walk rate is way up. People need to realize that he had a horrific (for a pitcher) shoulder injury that no pitcher has every really come back strong from.

It's a testament to John's determination that he's even in the rotation and slightly above replacement level but as far as the physical tools, he doesn't have them anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
John Danks will never ever be a "solid #3 on a playoff team". In fact, he's pitching worse this year by many metrics than he did last year. His velocity is down and his walk rate is way up. People need to realize that he had a horrific (for a pitcher) shoulder injury that no pitcher has every really come back strong from.

It's a testament to John's determination that he's even in the rotation and slightly above replacement level but as far as the physical tools, he doesn't have them anymore.

Actually, other than the Houston game, his velocity and metrics have improved as the season has gone on.