Actual Baseball Trade Rumors From Legitimate Non-Imaginary Sources

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
Being inside the protected picks isn't going to matter that much, because we're not going after Lester, Scherzer or Shields. Same thing with Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez.

Who else would we be interested in that's going to get a QO?

Russell Martin, I guess. But 15 teams will be after a catcher.

Yasmani Thomas and Rusney Castillo wouldn't be affected by being in the protected 10 picks. Same with the Japanese starting pitcher (although I think after what happened with Tanaka they would steer clear).

Nelson Cruz should be on our target list...but for nothing more than a 2 year contract with an option for a third year. Victor Martinez...maybe? But probably going back to the Tigers in all likelihood.

Seems we'll be picking through the bargain/flawed/damaged goods bin, looking at guys like Masterson, Colby Rasmus, Michael Morse, etc.

Who is this Japanese pitcher? From what I had read there isn't much coming out of Japan in the way of high end starting pitching for at least two more years.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
For the record, I do not support losing the rest of the way. I would not be upset with a top 11 pick, but I want them to end the year over .500.

This is where I am too. I would love for the team to convince Hahn that he needs to improve the MLB roster this offseason. While having a protected pick reduces the pain of signing top free agents, it also substantially reduces the incentive.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
This is where I am too. I would love for the team to convince Hahn that he needs to improve the MLB roster this offseason. While having a protected pick reduces the pain of signing top free agents, it also substantially reduces the incentive.

I think we're the same person, which also makes you a smellface.

So...suck it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Who is this Japanese pitcher? From what I had read there isn't much coming out of Japan in the way of high end starting pitching for at least two more years.

I was wrong, it is not a Japanese pitcher but a Korean pitcher, and I forgot that his American agent

is Scott B, if I remember correctly.

oh well sorry.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
For the record, I do not support losing the rest of the way. I would not be upset with a top 11 pick, but I want them to end the year over .500.

there several factors at play. 1 draft pick and 2 if the sox continues to due their best, it will help get the fans

back and involved.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)

we need players in the systems and with those players the sox can get the best to play while using

the others to help get the missing positional player needed.

in the meantime, supplant the lineup with a few FA's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)

My feelings exactly. I think this team finishing over .500 would do a lot for their own confidence going forward in addition to bringing back some fans next year. I dont think the fans will truly come out in force until they are a playoff team again, but the Sox are giving you every reason to get to the stadium now. Some tweeks to an already pretty solid roster and this team could be a playoff team by next year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)

I think you can have the best of both worlds here. I really don't think it matters if the Sox finish the season with 75 wins or 81 wins. I honestly believe Hahn will be aggressive in the FA market this winter regardless. I also have noticed that Hahn and the organization are finally putting a premium on draft picks. If you look at the farm system, it has improved quite a bit from where it was in 2012. The organization and most other MLB teams know that you need to build from within in today's game. Especially with the limitations of the new CBA. With that said, if the Sox are in the bottom 10, they can get that coveted first rounder AND have a solid chance of obtaining a top tier free agent with a risk of only losing a second rounder. Another thing to consider is some of these FAs might not even cost a pick if they were denied a QO. In my opinion, we will not see much of this as teams want draft picks.

The best case scenario will be for the Sox to drop in the bottom 10, sign Shields and possibly a C and new DH, get another talented first round draft pick and be ready to compete in 2015.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I think you can have the best of both worlds here. I really don't think it matters if the Sox finish the season with 75 wins or 81 wins. I honestly believe Hahn will be aggressive in the FA market this winter regardless. I also have noticed that Hahn and the organization are finally putting a premium on draft picks. If you look at the farm system, it has improved quite a bit from where it was in 2012. The organization and most other MLB teams know that you need to build from within in today's game. Especially with the limitations of the new CBA. With that said, if the Sox are in the bottom 10, they can get that coveted first rounder AND have a solid chance of obtaining a top tier free agent with a risk of only losing a second rounder. Another thing to consider is some of these FAs might not even cost a pick if they were denied a QO. In my opinion, we will not see much of this as teams want draft picks.

The best case scenario will be for the Sox to drop in the bottom 10, sign Shields and possibly a C and new DH, get another talented first round draft pick and be ready to compete in 2015.

The best case scenario is if the White Sox get hot, make the playoffs, and win the World Series. And, given this season, there is no best case scenario in which the Sox have a top 11 pick next season. It's an OK or acceptable scenario, but nowhere near best case.

It's just merely not a bad thing if they end up with a top 11 pick.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
One thing to keep an eye on tomorrow morning is if Danks is pulled from his scheduled start. The game is at 1:05. FWIW.

Keep an eye on the Charlotte staff and see if anyone leaves. I did think it was telling that even in a blowout, Andre Rienzo did not pitch, instead Petricka did.

With Danks, if he's involved in rumors at all, he's going to be skipped. It doesn't mean he'll be traded, but if he is, it would really suck it pull him after the 2nd inning or something.

If he takes the mound, I'd put the odds at 99.9999% he is not traded.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
With Danks, if he's involved in rumors at all, he's going to be skipped. It doesn't mean he'll be traded, but if he is, it would really suck it pull him after the 2nd inning or something.

If he takes the mound, I'd put the odds at 99.9999% he is not traded.

agreed

re winning 75 games or 81 does help, on paper very little but with a good P,R help with the excitement

for next yr fan based. keep getting players in the FA's to help bridge the gap of prospects and emptiness.

teams are always going to value draft picks but the sox need them to help build the systems. so suspect

the sox of going for FA that have not been offer a QO. remember while the sox have wiggle room in the salary,

I don't think they will go hog wild.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
It will be 11 due to the Astros incompetence. It is normally the top 10 that are protected. If a team does not make a qualifying offer, the free agent is not subject to a first round pick.

This is not true. Why do people keep saying this? It's still the top 10 only. I've said this like 5 times on this site already. A couple years back, the Mets couldn't sign Bourn for the same reason. It's the top 10 picks even though the Astros have 2 of them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
This is not true. Why do people keep saying this? It's still the top 10 only. I've said this like 5 times on this site already. A couple years back, the Mets couldn't sign Bourn for the same reason. It's the top 10 picks even though the Astros have 2 of them.

There's more ambiguity to it than that (and more than I initially thought), but it would be ridiculous to not protect the worst 10 teams' picks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.1261628

The Mets had an offer on the table, but the decision of whether or not that pick would be protected would have been decided by an independent arbitrator. There was no yes or no answer, but the decision was delayed. Once Cleveland offered the same deal, Bourn jumped.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/top-...2015-draft.html

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Okay. I stand corrected. I didn't see this. I was actually going off of Tim Dierkes's original report from the day that Aiken didn't sign. MLB did something about it and rightfully so. Sorry guys.

I didn't apologize for Paulino, you don't have to apologize for this.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
God, the Red Sox suck. They're horrible this year, have a great farm and have numerous ways to cash in/sell high. Lester, Lackey and Miller have all had great years and teams are going to have to pay a lot for them. People don't realize how valuable Lackey is, because of a silly clause in his contract, Lack will be making $500K next year. Whoever trades for him could be paying a 3/4 type effectively the league minimum.

He won't play for that. He will require an extension or he'll probably retire.