Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Yeah, I think it muddles it for sure. I think there's that issue of "inviting" or creating the serious threat that requires deadly force. That's the argument Brown's attorney would make anyway.

To me, I dunno that I buy that, especially if there were shots fired and Brown turned around, waited and then ran after the cop. If there was some pause in between, Brown still has time to choose whether to attack and surrender.

But it shouldn't excuse the officer's first shots either.

I'm not saying that the scenario I have laid out happened, but just because Brown wasn't shot while fleeing doesn't mean he wasn't shot AT while fleeing which increases his culpability significantly.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Welp I guess we should give the police who have demonstrated clear overreaction in multiple instances in this case complete deference despite multiple news crews reporting that nothing was going on in that area. Oh, and the police themselves not trying to justify it by saying that they were warned and that there was something going on in the area, but by saying "uh, we don't know what department fired the tear gas, wasn't us!"

http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/R...-270697451.html

Brian Schellman, with the St. Louis County Police Department, said close to 300 police officers from at least 15 different departments were called to Ferguson Sunday night when angry mobs began smashing windows, setting fires and looting businesses in the area.

Schellman said a St. Louis County officer injured his knee while at a Foot Locker store during the rioting. He said another officer was injured when he had a brick thrown at him.

Throughout Sunday evening, numerous cop cars sustained damage and Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said someone in a yellow pickup truck fired shots at officers while circling a WalMart parking lot.

Police said shots were also fired at a police helicopter in the area.

According to police, two men were assaulted at a Phillips 66 in the 1100 block of Riverview during the riots. Police say three suspects used a bat to injury a 54-year-old man who attempted to stop them for leaving the store with stolen merchandise.

Police also responded to reports of shootings throughout the area. At one point, windows of a News 4 live truck were smashed out by the angry crowd.

One witness told News 4 a group of people attempted to steal an ATM from a gas station.

Tuesday night, the unrest continued with five shootings and 12 arrests throughout the St. Louis area.

Also Tuesday night, a woman was taken to an area hospital after being shot in the head by a low caliber bullet, she is expected to survive. Police also transported an 18-year-old, 20-year-old and unidentified person after separate shootings in north St. Louis County and Jennings.

News 4’s Scott Thomas said police showed restraint Wednesday night, but then began to use the tear gas when objects were thrown at them. A spokesperson for the St. Louis County Police Department said tear gas was deployed after protesters threw rocks and molotov cocktails at police.

All of this was at least 5 days ago. With all of this going on I dont really see how what theyre currently doing can be considered overreaction anymore.

I agree (and from what I've seen most do) that since Highway Patrol took over it has been better, and last night probably the best.

I think the selective leaking from the Ferguson PD has been again, horrible, and caused more issues. And Nixon has hurt more than he's helped since Thursday. He should have empowered the Highway Patrol chief but has instead cut him at the knees.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I see what you're saying, but this is a man who obviously didn't think logically or even morally. He's a thief and a bully given his actions at the convenient store, and he's also incredibly stupid for picking a fight with a cop. All three things that the vast majority of people would never do. So "logic" can be thrown out the window. He was capable of doing anything.

Once again, this (the released convenience store video) is "hindsight" and not probative or admissible later for evaluating Officer Wilson's reactions at the time of his first contact with Brown.

At no point was the cigar situation an armed robbery, where an imminent/deadly threat or force was involved.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
It might as well be Matt Drudge or Fox News, lol. Breitbart.com and "Big Government" in the link of a story, c'mon, that's not going to be close to impartial, any more than CNBC anchors like Rachel Maddow or The Ed Show would be reliable sources for unbiased reporting.

the irony of this post coming from someone who has linked NY Times articles in this thread....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
Once again, this (the released convenience store video) is "hindsight" and not probative or admissible later for evaluating Officer Wilson's reactions at the time of his first contact with Brown.

At no point was the cigar situation an armed robbery, where an imminent/deadly threat or force was involved.

He didn't say it was a reason for the officer to do anything, but that it showed that Brown was capable of doing just about anything at the moment, so using logic to try and understand HIS actions is pretty useless.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Link? Do we know that as a FACT now? Have the police reported this in one of their briefings or it's just a rumor flying around the internet now?

Local St. Louis sources said Wilson suffered an “orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket.” This comes from a source within the Prosecuting Attorney’s office and confirmed by the St. Louis County Police.

The little angel probably didn't hit the cop, Wilson probably fell getting into his car. And thank heavens that asshole didn't grab Hold of Wilson's gun or he would be a goner. He was trying to kill that cop and when he couldn't get his gun he ran away. The fractured eye would probably explain the shots and the complaining here about the cops' aim. No sympathy here for that criminal.

Edited by Cknolls

So far no looting tonight, no trouble tonight. It's a Tuesday night though. Lot of people have been out during the evening hours just no trouble yet.

Oops, somebody threw a water bottle at midnight and trouble brewing. What a joke.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
So far no looting tonight, no trouble tonight. It's a Tuesday night though. Lot of people have been out during the evening hours just no trouble yet.

Oops, somebody threw a water bottle full of urine at police at midnight and trouble brewing. What a joke.

fixed

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Literally no chance this guy gets convicted of murder.

From the article, the law on using deadly force in MO. If the guy really does have a broken face from Brown, I can't see how that won't be grey area enough to prevent conviction.

3. A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only

. . .

(2) When he reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested

(a) Has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or

(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or

© May otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
From the article, the law on using deadly force in MO. If the guy really does have a broken face from Brown, I can't see how that won't be grey area enough to prevent conviction.

I'll dig up the reference when I'm not on my phone but I think i read that that statute partially conflicts with s.c. precedence