Off-season 40 man roster

harfman77

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Don Cooper clearly doesn't think much of Rienzo on the mound. I do doubt they just let him go, but it wouldn't be too surprising. I think it's more likely he is a trade throw in.

I could see him being a minor league deal guy, in exchange for some other broken prospect.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I think you will see him converted to a reliever soon.

That's what I brought up before, and that's another likely scenario. But his control issues make that dicey as well. His stuff lends itself to relieving, but he needs to throw strikes more consistently.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
That's what I brought up before, and that's another likely scenario. But his control issues make that dicey as well. His stuff lends itself to relieving, but he needs to throw strikes more consistently.

If he goes to the pen, he can narrow the number of different pitches he throws, and how often he throws them.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Noesi

SP Danks

SP Carroll*Agents

RP Petricka

RP Webb

RP Putnam

RP Guerra

RP Bassitt

RP Surkamp

RP Veal*

*Positions to upgrade in FA or via trade

If the White Sox want to contend in 2015, they will need to make substantial upgrades to the bullpen, especially how they combat lefthanded hitters in late-game situations. Seemingly all of the major league free agent signings Hahn has made thus far have been borderline disasters, but his non-roster signings have been pretty surprising. Let's hope there's a plan to acquire some better options than Surkamp, Veal, etc... just having a loogy in the bullpen for the sake of having a loogy in the bullpen doesn't make much sense when someone like Putnam can get better results against lefties than a AAA bust like Surkamp or an aging vet like Downs.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
If the White Sox want to contend in 2015, they will need to make substantial upgrades to the bullpen, especially how they combat lefthanded hitters in late-game situations. Seemingly all of the major league free agent signings Hahn has made thus far have been borderline disasters, but his non-roster signings have been pretty surprising. Let's hope there's a plan to acquire some better options than Surkamp, Veal, etc... just having a loogy in the bullpen for the sake of having a loogy in the bullpen doesn't make much sense when someone like Putnam can get better results against lefties than a AAA bust like Surkamp or an aging vet like Downs.

it went unnoticed by a lot since no one cared about this team, but after returning from the Minors, Surkamp was really very effective. Over his last 15 games, struck out almost a batter an inning, held opponents to a .220 average/.553 OPS, 2.31 ERA over that stretch.

Which may not be all that surprising as sometimes guys do struggle in their first real stint as a big league reliever.

I'm not sure how much I can count on him next year but I don't mind at all if he's in competition for a bullpen spot, and calling him a "AAA Bust" ignores what he actually did during the latter part of the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
it went unnoticed by a lot since no one cared about this team, but after returning from the Minors, Surkamp was really very effective. Over his last 15 games, struck out almost a batter an inning, held opponents to a .220 average/.553 OPS, 2.31 ERA over that stretch.

Which may not be all that surprising as sometimes guys do struggle in their first real stint as a big league reliever.

I'm not sure how much I can count on him next year but I don't mind at all if he's in competition for a bullpen spot, and calling him a "AAA Bust" ignores what he actually did during the latter part of the season.

Ventura even mentioned him as a guy who could have a job in next years pen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Ventura even mentioned him as a guy who could have a job in next years pen.

If this is going to be a competitive team he shouldn't be penciled in as the main bullpen lefty, he should have to earn the spot in ST against Snodgress, but he should at least have a shot at it.

That still leaves us absolutely in need of 1 other LHP in the bullpen. Snodgress + Surkamp out there would be fine for a rebuilding team but not if we're going to spend large sums of money elsewhere.

But, with the lefties on this roster and in the minors, it makes more sense to bring in a guy on a "Downs-like" contract than it does to go for broke with the Andrew Miller some people have noted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I'd say a lot of people have remained frustrated with Tyler this year and think that aside from a few lucky drops early in the season it has mostly remained a hole.

After this season I could be ok there with Tyler for another year, but Tyler isn't going to be more than a bottom of the order hitter ever, and we can only have so many of those in the lineup.

The team itself is not frustrated with Flowers and it's likely most fans / Sox have different definitions of what a catcher should be.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)

The AL ROY says "Hola!"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
It's only Downs, Paulino, Keppinger and Abreu. So 3/4 have sucked, lol.

The rest were under-the-radar, waiver wire, NDFA's, guys like Boggs/Cleto/Putnam/Noesi/Sierra/Taylor, etc.

But then Downs put up a 3.14 ERA with the Royals. The only logical explanation is that Hahn was a terrible GM when he got Downs because of the possibility that Ventura would make him pitch bad but then Ned Yost would make him pitch good. The smarter move was bringing on Noesi because Ventura would make him pitch pretty well and be a very valuable innings-eater. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why they don't just tell ALL of these crapshoot, scrapheap no money low-risk players to play well.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
But then Downs put up a 3.14 ERA with the Royals. The only logical explanation is that Hahn was a terrible GM when he got Downs because of the possibility that Ventura would make him pitch bad but then Ned Yost would make him pitch good. The smarter move was bringing on Noesi because Ventura would make him pitch pretty well and be a very valuable innings-eater. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why they don't just tell ALL of these crapshoot, scrapheap no money low-risk players to play well.

Vance, I had to read your post a couple of times before I understood it. Then I laughed. Back to Downs.....injured in ST, pitched when not ready, stunk, had a decent stretch of games, then stunk again, DFA'd, picked up by Royals -- 3.14, blah, blah, blah. Just so you know, he is not on the playoff roster, at least the wild card game.

this is the 40 man roster as I see it, via espn roster.

1. Chris Sale

2. Jose Quintana

3. John Danks

4. Hector Noesi

5. Scott Carroll

6. Scott Snodgress

7. Chris Bassitt

8. Matt Lindstrom

9. Ronald Belisario

10. Maikel Cleto

11 Eric Surkamp

12. Jake Petricka

13. Zach Putnam

14. Daniel Webb

15. Andre Rienzo

16. Javy Guerra

17. Erik Johnson

18. Taylor Thompson

19. Frank De Los Santos (release)

20. Raul Fernandez

21. Tyler Flowers

22. Adrian Nieto

23. Josh Phegley

24. Jose Abreu

25. Matt Davidson

26. Leury Garcia

27. Conor Gillaspie

27. Paul Konerko (retired)

29. Alexei Ramirez

30. Carlos Sanchez

31. Marcus Semien

32. Andy Wilkins

33. Jordan Danks

34. Adam Eaton

35. Avisail Garcia

36. Jared Mitchell

37. Moises Sierra

37. Michael Taylor

39. Trayce Thompson

40. Dayan Viciedo

Nate Jones Disabled List 60-day DL

Felipe Paulino Disabled List 60-day DL

I think I may have made a mistake or 2 so if any want to correct me, pls

feel free.

ps, if anyone can tell me how to make a strike through, it would help

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
Frank De Los Santos outrighted to AAA, 40-man to 39

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
And it begins. It's really at 38 with Konerko retiring.

Jones and Paulino need to be re-instated to the roster so the roster is effectively at 40 until Paulino's option is declined.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Ravelo and Montas will, IMO, definitely be protected. I think Smith probably will too - he's basically a year more advanced than Nieto was when he was selected, and catching talent is super-thin across baseball, so he's a selection risk. Saladino won't even be healthy for the beginning of the season so he won't be protected and won't need to be.

FDSL and Mitchell could all be passed through and I wouldn't be concerned about anyone taking them in the MLB phase of Rule V, so those two are likely to be assigned off the 40. Taylor showed he's likely competent as a 4th OF, but I doubt the Sox keep both him and JorDanks - so I'd say one of them will have a 40 man slot and the other won't. Cleto has run his course with the Sox, I would guess he gets DFA's.

So that's 2-3 guys who they will protect, and at least 3 maybe 4 guys who will come off. Leaves likely 1 open slot for any potential pickups.

I'm also not sure they keep Guerra around. And I'm 90% certain they won't have Veal on the OD roster.

Open question - does Davidson need protection? I'm not sure if he does or not, but if he does, they will definitely protect him.

Last I saw, Hahn expected Saladino to be ready by spring training and if he is injured, it makes it that much easier for a team to hide him. I don't really seen anyway they protect a fourth catcher unless one of the current three is traded. Davidson is already on the 40 man roster. Nate Jones coming off the DL will eat that final roster spot, so the Sox will need to be a little more creative with the roster if they are going to participate in FA.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Last I saw, Hahn expected Saladino to be ready by spring training and if he is injured, it makes it that much easier for a team to hide him. I don't really seen anyway they protect a fourth catcher unless one of the current three is traded. Davidson is already on the 40 man roster. Nate Jones coming off the DL will eat that final roster spot, so the Sox will need to be a little more creative with the roster if they are going to participate in FA.

The fact that Smith is in the AFL tells me, among other things, they are trying to make a 40 man decision on him. Or looking to see if someone wants him in trade. Either way, I think they are giving serious thought to protecting him. Remember, this is a guy who last offseason they put in that hitting camp in Florida with a handful of other prospects, almost all of whom were top names in the system from the batting side. And he's only had a stronger year in AA since.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

Not really. A rule 5 pick has to spend a large majority of the season on the active roster, otherwise their roster requirements carry over to the next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Not really. A rule 5 pick has to spend a large majority of the season on the active roster, otherwise their roster requirements carry over to the next year.

Saladino is supposed to be ready around April-ish, last I saw. So he'll probably be a month behind or so. So carrying him isn't probably a big risk in that way.

But I just find it hard to believe any team would select Tyler Saladino at all, and certainly not when he's going to miss at least a month and has had TJ surgery. He's a DFA guy for me, I just don't see any significant claim risk with him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
Jones and Paulino need to be re-instated to the roster so the roster is effectively at 40 until Paulino's option is declined.

Those roster requirements aren't necessary until after the postseason is over. If they wanted to speed up the process, they could certainly DFA a few of these guys, but there's no rush for that.